BC Boards

pneumonia

sea4th

Flick, who just turned 13 yrs. old, has pneumonia. How or why, I don't know. She is on antiobiotics - Orbax and (sorry, can't think of the name of the other right now).

I'm spoon feeding her, and although she doesn't have much strength, I walk her several yards a couple of times a day, and she is exhausted by the time we're done. This is a dog who a month ago was in everyone's business, helping me oversee the pack.

Any ideas what else I can be doing? Think a vaporizer would help? Anything to make her comfortable.

Lots of things have happened to her within a short period of time. Pneumonia is dangerous to the old and I want to know that I'm doing everything humanly possible.

Thanks.

I don't know if it would hurt or harm but liquid vicks in a vaporizor works for me when I am sick. The house smells like vicks but it helps open the bronchial tubes. I would ask the vet if it could be harmful but I doubt it is. My dogs never seemed to have adverse reactions.

Sorry about Flick. It is horrible when the older dogs become ill for no reason. I hope she improves quickly.

Flick, who just turned 13 yrs. old, has pneumonia. How or why, I don't know. She is on antiobiotics - Orbax and (sorry, can't think of the name of the other right now).

I'm spoon feeding her, and although she doesn't have much strength, I walk her several yards a couple of times a day, and she is exhausted by the time we're done. This is a dog who a month ago was in everyone's business, helping me oversee the pack.

Any ideas what else I can be doing? Think a vaporizer would help? Anything to make her comfortable.

Thanks.

I had pneumonia a few months ago, and along with the antibiotics I was given an Albuterol "inhaler/puffer". From working in a horse hospital, I know Albuterol is pretty standard protocol for horses with pneumonia, so maybe check with your vet about prescribing a "puffer" for Flick. I would think if humans and horses are OK with it, dogs should be too.

I would also check into some sort of immune system enhancement, since pneumonia could be a signal that her general immune system is compromised.

Another random thought, did your vet do a chest xray? If not, it would be a good thing to get a baseline shot, to make sure that the antibiotics are clearing up the problem in a few weeks, and/or to rule out other issues like tumors.

Laurie

Gad, I hope poor Flick feels better soon. I had a nasy bout with an Upper Resp. Infection last winter, and the inhalers and Mucinex really, really helped. Is there a doggy version of Mucinex?

Breathing plain old steam always helped, at least for a little while. Maybe just even a vaporizer, or take her into the bathroom with you and run hot water.

As far as immune system enhancement, I'd look into probiotics - I'm giving Buzz 1/2 tsp of NOW brand 4x6 Acidopholus powder. You'll want to give it at least 2 hrs before or after the antibiotics.

And fluids, fluids, fluids. It's amazing how much dehydration makes you feel worse, thickens up the mucosal secretions, etc. My guys get some kind of meat broth when they're feeling puny and they really like it.

Hope she breathes easier soon,

Ruth n the BC3

Thank you. It's people who I've only known through the net who have really been a lifeline for me in some of these harrowing times I've gone through with my dogs. At the very least, I never feel quite so alone. Anyway, here what's been going on the last month.

Back in the beginning of August, I was gathering pictures of Flick to post here and wish her an official Happy 13th Birthday.

Later on in August, probably about a month ago, I noticed that she was favoring one of her back legs. She'd only hold it up occasionally so I took a quick look and didn't really notice anything and so didn't give it too much thought until it just did not get better and she was holding it up with more frequency. So about less than I week later after I first noticed this problem, I really examined her leg. I saw, what at first I thought might have been an engorged tick on the front of her hock. I squeezed it and it wasn't a tick but some pus came out and by this time, the leg, around the hock, looked a little swollen and misshapen. It was the weekend and I started her on antibiotics right away (I keep them on hand) and Monday I got her into my vet. X-rays showed what is probably a long standing infection probably caused by a bite which, by the time I noticed anything, was already beginning to eat at the bone and work it's way out -- hence the "lesion" that I saw. We put her on Orbax and the x-rays were sent to a radiologist who basically confirmed what the vet said and prescribed long term antibiotics for her -- and I also began soaking the leg in epsom salts.

Fast forward a week. Flick is still on Orbax, and I notice an occasional cough. My first thought was if it was kennel cough, it would really be unusual to start and get worse while she was on antibiotics. Another trip to the vet. 3 x-rays of the chest showed the lungs looking really funky, filled with fluid. Three possibilities -- best case scenario, pneumonia (WTH???), tumor bursting and filling up the lungs, or the infection has spread through the bloodstream. The second two options would definately kill her. At 13 yrs. old, did I want to put her through tests and treatments -- that and the fact that I can't afford them right now anyway. So pneumonia, while no picnic, was our best hope. Blood was drawn, and the x-rays sent to a radiologist, who, while could not state with 100 per cent certainty, seemed to think it was pneumonia. (aspirating the fluid would give us a better idea, but did I want to put her through that only to determine it was a condition that would number her days). So after talking to my vet, we decided to treat her for pneumonia, broad spectrum antibiotics and hope for the best.

The blood work came back with an elevated white cell count. Good news is that heart, lungs and kidneys all look absolutely great.

Her temp at the vets was over 103. Today when I took it, it was a little over 102.

She continues to be listless and will not eat, so I've been buying canned food -- Wellness lamb and wellness puppy food and I spoon feed her. She's lost weight. She is all skin and bones, but I've also been carrying her outside to making her walk a short distance down and back on the drive. Her leg has gotten better in that she is now using it at a walk. She wasn't before. Most of the swelling is gone except for a small "ball" of swelling off to the side of the hock joint.

Her breathing, while somewhat labored before, is changed that now. On exertion, her breathing rattles -- IOW is noisy and audible where it wasn't before without putting your ear to her chest. I'm hoping that the rattling is a sign that the congestion in her lungs is breaking up and not that it's getting worse.

Flick is Pete daughter. Never thought I could have two heart dogs, but this little girl is my heart. As long as she's got fight in her, I'll be right there along side of her as she's been with me throughout for all of these years.

Keep her in your thoughts and prayers and send all of the good vibes you can muster our way, OK?

Oh, and thanks.

Hi- Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Flick. My 13 year old girl, Rose, started coughing (mostly at night) the end of the week, too. She is scheduled to go in for her geriatric checkup this coming week. I'm on the same page as you, fearing the worst, but hoping for the best. In the Spring, my "healthy" 14 year old Golden went in for her routine geriatric checkup, came home with antibiotics for a possible bladder infection (bloodwork looked great, but some white cells in her urine). A month later at her recheck visit, she became acutely painful during her ultrasound and urine collection. She was diagnosed with inoperable cancer of the urethra (tumor almost completely blocking), she needed to be euthanized immediately. Needless to say, I'm a little gun shy about Rose's appointment. Here's to all the old dogs! Laurie

Keep her in your thoughts and prayers and send all of the good vibes you can muster our way, OK?

Oh, and thanks.

Oh, and thanks.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Oh, and--no thanks needed. :rolleyes:

Best Tasmanian mojo coming over the seas to the old dogs, bless them. Vicki - it's amazing how we feel we 'know' people and their dogs through the net. From 'knowoing' you over the years, I can just imagine how much Flick means to you - for herself and as the daughter of Pete. So very best wishes and good thoughts for you.

Her breathing, while somewhat labored before, is changed that now. On exertion, her breathing rattles -- IOW is noisy and audible where it wasn't before without putting your ear to her chest. I'm hoping that the rattling is a sign that the congestion in her lungs is breaking up and not that it's getting worse.

Oh, and thanks.

I am sure you are doing this, but I would immediately report any change in her breathing to your vet . I don't believe it's uncommon to have to change the meds during treatment for this type if illness, so frequent updates could help your vet with his/her decisions.

Will think good thoughts.

Carolyn

Pneumonia can be difficult to treat in dogs (just like in older people). If she's not improving, I'd talk to my vet about IV antibiotics (sometimes they can do a "cocktail" of drugs through an IV) or changing her antibiotic (she might just need a different one), how her hydration is (she may need sub-q fluids) - you might want to try some "meat" baby food like chicken or lamb to pep up her appetite. Hope Flick feels better real soon.

Update on Flick -- she seems to be holding her own --- meaning only that she's not gotten worse, I don't think, but I'd sure like to see a change in the right direction, but I'll take things as they are for now. She doesn't appear to be getting worse.

I'm still force feeding her. Yesterday, when she saw me coming with the bowl and spoon, she made an effort to leave. Kind of funny, really -- the "oh, crap. Here she comes again with that bowl. I'm outta here". That's got to be a good sign. Wish she'd still eat on her own. When she doesn, I'll consider that a milestone in her recovery.

I'm also making her walk, and she appears to be getting stronger from that, although she's exhausted afterwards --- the dog who a month ago was bouncing around, making sure everything was running according to house rules, barking for her food, making sure all was right with the world, before she settled in for the night. I'd love to see that Flick back again.

But, baby steps. I'll take baby steps.

A week ago Sunday, we had a storm roll through here --- remnants of Ike. No dark skies, thunder and lightening, but very high winds. We lost our power late Sunday afternoon. I brought the dogs in to sit out the storm and the outage. As we were losing daylight, I noticed power lines down across the end of my drive. To make a long story short, the dogs and I were trapped. There is a drop off on either side of my drive and I couldn't drive around to get out. We have well water and that's electrically pumped to the house, so we were without water. I lost a lot of stuff in the fridge and freezers that I had stocked up on. Thank goodness that my dogs eat raw instead of kibble because that was I was able to save some of the food. I could only call out on 800 #'s and get calls in and I'd get messages to my job and other people when I would get a call from a friend who I then asked to make contacts for me. I did call the electric company, who, while polite, and sometimes sympathetic was no help. I asked that if only they could move the wires so I could get out -- I'm running out of food and water, then I'd do without electricity. There is a spring about 12 miles away in PA where I've gone several times to get water because the water is so good. A friend of mine brought me several gallon jugs of water.

Then last Wednesday, I made yet another call to the electric company. This time there was a recorded message that we "might" have power restored by Saturday. I spoke to a rep again, giving them the same old line, only this time, I began to get all emotional (I hate it when that happens) and told them "Look, this might not mean anything to anyone else, but it means the world to me. I have an old dog who is dying and all I'm asking is for the wires to be removed so I can get out with her". I reached a sympathic ear. Within an hour, a company truck was there. Within 3 hours, I had power restored and I took Flick to the vet.

I'm scrambling to recover financially and otherwise from the ordeal, but if Flick recovers, I'm happy.

Now that's the rest of the story.

ETA - I should add, it's rural, and there is nothing within walking distance, unless you consider the closest store 7 miles away walking distance. I felt pretty isolated. And then to watch the Amish go about their daily business -- sort of makes you reexamine the way we live.

Wow! You've really been through it! You must be emotionally and physically drained. Hang in there. Sounds like you're doing everything you can for Flick, and she knows it. You're in my thoughts and prayers. :rolleyes: Update when you can.

I really am bad at proofreading, but I feed my dogs kibble and raw and I was almost out of kibble and had raw in the freezer for them. 15 dogs go through a lot of food and by the time I got my power back on, I was down to maybe, 1 cup of kibble. We gone through the raw. I got a couple of donations, which helped immensely.