BC Boards

How often to give Bully Sticks?

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

Bully sticks are about the only thing that Maya will consistently chew on, that last longer than 10 minutes! We have been giving her the 12 inch sticks for a while now, in the evenings, when we need some down time. It occupies her for anywhere from 30 min to an hour, and she loves them. I always try and take them away from her when they get small enough where she is putting the whole thing in her mouth. My question is, is there a limit to how many of these she should get in a week? I have been told that actual animal parts are better for her than rawhide, etc. (which she never gets). But, I am curious if there is a limit to how many she should be getting. We have never experienced any problems with her digesting, etc, and it never affects her eating her scheduled meals. Thanks!

I hope that Bully Sticks aren't what I think they are... :rolleyes:

They are.

Juno also likes them, and she gets a 6-inch one almost every day. I never seem to notice when they've gotten short, so I presume she eats the stub (sorry Bustopher!). There's never been any digestive upset of any kind with her, so they must not be causing her any problems.

You're going to need to take out a small loan, if you plan to give her a 12-inch long bully stick every night! All of mine love bully sticks, but I can't afford to give them very often. It's a lot cheaper to give them all a good raw bone, like a knuckle bone, to chew on and they last much longer.

Guest maya's mom

I know the concept of bully sticks are gross, but when they give me almost of hour of down time, I don't care what it is! :rolleyes: And yes, the are expensive. I am constantly checking websites for the best prices. So far, I have been buying them from "Only Natural Pet Store", where I get a bag of 10 12" sticks, for around $27. And, they are low odor. Occasionally a pet store in my area will have them for $2.49, and I try and buy a few then. I think what a friend and I are going to do is buy a case and split it. It is a lot of money to put out, but those are the only real bone/treat that she gets regularly, and again......they provide my husband and I with some downtime in the evenings after we walk with the puppy. So most times, I feel like the price is worth it!

30 inch????

The mind reels............Ack! :rolleyes:

I'm glad Bo is happy with pig ears and cow femurs.

I know the concept of bully sticks are gross, but when they give me almost of hour of down time, I don't care what it is! :rolleyes: And yes, the are expensive. I am constantly checking websites for the best prices. So far, I have been buying them from "Only Natural Pet Store", where I get a bag of 10 12" sticks, for around $27. And, they are low odor. Occasionally a pet store in my area will have them for $2.49, and I try and buy a few then. I think what a friend and I are going to do is buy a case and split it. It is a lot of money to put out, but those are the only real bone/treat that she gets regularly, and again......they provide my husband and I with some downtime in the evenings after we walk with the puppy. So most times, I feel like the price is worth it!

Try http://www.jefferspet.com look up bully sticks and beef pizzles. 12 or more 6" bully sticks are $2.09 ea, 12" bully sticks are $3.99ea..........you can also get a box of one hundred 6" beef pizzles for $81.67 :D

I believe that we have successfully managed to establish a new (low) standard for this board. Some of us (or at least one of us, the only male instigator in the crowd) may receive e-mails from Eileen tonight advising us that we have been permanently banished from the boards... :rolleyes:

I've ordered bully sticks from E-Pets Boutique and they were fine. No fancy packaging.....just the loose sticks in a box....but for the price I certainly wouldn't complain. They're a bit on the aromatic side, but the dogs love 'em.

12 inch sticks for $1.99 each ($1.89 each if you order 100 or more)

6 inch sticks for $.99 each ($.94 each if you order 100 or more)

My local Costco carries them for $20/12"x12 pack. Allie generally gets 1 pack per month, but budget is the limiting factor; I don't know the answer to the health question. For the other 18 days/ month, I try to have a couple of frozen kongs on hand. You can nearly double to lifetime of the kong if you stick in a plastic gar (assuming your dog knows not to eat plastic).

Guest maya's mom
My local Costco carries them for $20/12"x12 pack. Allie generally gets 1 pack per month, but budget is the limiting factor; I don't know the answer to the health question. For the other 18 days/ month, I try to have a couple of frozen kongs on hand. You can nearly double to lifetime of the kong if you stick in a plastic gar (assuming your dog knows not to eat plastic).

I give Kongs a lot, but have never frozen them. What do you put in yours when you do this?

Guest maya's mom

The frozen Kong sounds good. I will try that next time. I usually put peanut butter, apples and carrots in Maya's, and give it to her while we are eating. It takes her only about 15-20 minutes to get through it, but it at least gets us through our meal! Hopefully the frozen Kong will take her a lot longer. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I give Kongs a lot, but have never frozen them. What do you put in yours when you do this?

I put kibble in, then a good dollop of yoghurt, then a bit more kibble. Sometimes green beans. Maybe a cookie on top to seal the hole. I can never get peanut butter to freeze thoroughly, though.

A piece of white bread in the top of a Kong will slow them down for a while too - it gets kind of slimy and durable. My girlfriend had a psychotic lab puppy in college and became the queen of kong stuffing - peanut butter or cheese in the bottom, a biscuit (like a milkbone - as large as you can stuff in your kong) next, and then top it with a little more peanut butter or cheese and part of a slice of white bread. Freeze if desired.

Lisa

You can nearly double to lifetime of the kong if you stick in a plastic gar (assuming your dog knows not to eat plastic).

Y'know, I've been around a long time and rarely have to ask what an acronym means or what someone is referring to any more, but what, pray tell, is a "plastic gar"?

Y'know, I've been around a long time and rarely have to ask what an acronym means or what someone is referring to any more, but what, pray tell, is a "plastic gar"?

that's me typing faster than my brain (not difficult at the moment).

that's me typing faster than my brain (not difficult at the moment).

post-6332-1221712626_thumb.jpg