BC Boards

Food Switch... Crossing Fingers!

Well, my dogs just went downscale -- Solo and Fly were on Canidae Platinum, but Solo can't eat the new formula. I switched Solo to EVO reduced fat formula, but it seems a bit too low fat for him, and I would rather have him on a senior formula anyway. We shop at Costco, so I decided to give a bag of the Kirkland formula for old fat dogs a go.

So far Solo and Fly look great, and they haven't taken on any sort of odor or any other deleterious effects. That said, the kibble itself has a very strong odor (much stronger than anything else I have ever fed them) and I do think they crap more now, although it's hard to tell because we've hit the rainy season (it rains all fall and winter here) so it is difficult to tell if the dog poop seems big and fluffy because of what they're eating, or because it's waterlogged.

Jett's been eating EVO but I'm going to try her on the Kirkland organic adult dog food. We just got a bag and it has the same strong dog-foody odor as the senior dog formula (which is not organic). I don't know if I'm going to keep the dogs on this stuff, but they do like it and I figure a bag of reportedly decent but cheapish food isn't going to kill anyone.

I'm always trying different dog foods and formula, and have been able to stay away from the supermarket shelf stuff -- unless I'm in dire straits where dog food is concerned. One food my dogs have done well on is Castor & Pollux Organix. It's pricey, but I was able to pick it up at some supermarkets if I just needed a bag of something to tide me over, but I can no longer find it.

Last time I tried Eukanuba was back in the 80's. They now have a new formula out, Naturally Wild, which the dogs really like and the ingredients seem to be OK. Apparently Eukanuba is getting on the holistic formula bandwagon too, so I'm giving them (Euk) another shot. It's pricey though. The venison formula is a little rich I think and some of the dogs have soft stools, but other than than they appear to do well on it. The other formulas are Turkey, Salmon (and Beef, I think).

I have a lovely red girl, an owner surrender who was being fed cheap crap. Her coat appeared dull, although I thought maybe the color was throwing me. Switched to a decent dog food and a good brush out, she looks and feels like she just had a bath. A change to a good food can make all the difference.

Canidae has just come out with three grain free formulas which I have switched to from the original ALS formula. So far they love the taste. The kibbles seem to be more moist and there isn't as much kibble dust in the bag. I'll be interested in seeing how they adjust to it.

Olivia

We're getting close to the bottom of the second bag of the grain free ALS, and I'm very happy with the results. Of course, they also get raw, too. For my non-working ones and the pup, I switched from the "new" (crappy) Canidae to Strongpoint Naturally Premium (less protein and fat than the grain free), and I like that, too,

A

We're getting close to the bottom of the second bag of the grain free ALS, and I'm very happy with the results. Of course, they also get raw, too. For my non-working ones and the pup, I switched from the "new" (crappy) Canidae to Strongpoint Naturally Premium (less protein and fat than the grain free), and I like that, too,

A

I'll have to check that out. Last time I was at the dog food store, I did not see anything new from Canidae. I fed the previous Chicken and Rice with nice results for quite some time. Well, except for Bute, who wouldn't eat it. I have been feeding California Natural Chicken and Rice - I used to feed the Lamb and Rice to Celt some years back. Bute loves the CN Chicken and Rice and so, to simplify things (and because it was comparable in price to what I was feeding him), I put them all on it. I did not like how Celt was doing on Eagle Pack Holistic (while Bute, who ate it pretty well, and Megan seemed to do fine on it).

I looked up the Strongpoint but the shipping to WV made it unreasonable.

We butchered three animals recently, and one was an extremely old lady. I have been replacing a bit of the dogs' kibble with some of the ground beef. They love it, it saves me money as the meat is "excess", and it's my little foray into the world of raw (other than raw recreational bones).

I can get

EVO & EVO RM, Core and Barking at the Moon at a local store. I am trying to cutback the overall protein which is why i am not try BATM. Some stores also carry wetfood that is no grain but not the actual kibble.

Oh well, I know a place that will order just about anything I want. I just hate not being able to run out a buy if I forget to reorder early enough.

I really wanted to try Instinct but that was extremely hard to find in kibble version. I can find canned in many places - go figure.

Did you know about www.doggonehealthyonline.com in Berryville? That might be a good source for things you can't find easily in your area, and isn't too far away. You'd have to call ahead if you were picking up there but they carry and/or special order some kibble (Evo, I think), freeze-dried raw, frozen raw, and bulk (turkey necks and such).