BC Boards

World Trial 2008

Sue R

Did you see the latest? As of the lunch break, Tommy Wilson and Sly are in the lead in the qualifying round on their field with a 189!

Tommy did great three years ago in the qualifying round, as well. While their score in the semi-final was not high enough to get them into the Final round, they did an admirable job. Quite a number of people sitting near me in the stands were very disappointed that the judges did not score them higher in that semi-final, as they felt they had a run that should have advanced them to the final round. Chuck Dimit and Luke had a 147 on that field, not too shabby.

Anne Mock (CA) and Jan will be the first run on that field after the lunch break, and Alasdair MacRae and Nap will be running also on that field later in the afternoon.

On Field 2, Dawn Boyce and Tink have scored a 132 and Don McCaig and Luke have retired. Gene Sheninger and Jen (Jean) and Haley Howard and Ross will be competing there this afternoon.

Running order and results on Field 3 have not yet been posted apparently.

Each field has qualifying runs for two days (each handler/dog team runs once). The top scores for each field over the two days advance to the semi-finals on Saturday, and then the top placers from that day advance to the Finals on Sunday.

Congrats to Tommy and Sly for setting a worthy standard in their qualifying round!

You can keep up with the results (and get other information) at www.worldsheepdogtrials.org.

Do read Gene Sheninger's trials diary at http://sheepdog.heatherweb.com/misc/09010908.pdf (and, thanks, Heather, for making this, Bev's, and Pearce's blogs easily available - they are all terrific).

It's one run only at the World Trial. You either make the cut or you don't, if I remember correctly. If Don brought June, I expect she will run tomorrow, unless she is on Field 3 today.

Don should win the bushy eyebrows and bonny knees contests, at least. He's got a big heart.

Gene Sheninger scored a136 with Jen. Joyce Geier and Clue DQ'd, sad to say.

Were those US dogs that failed? I see that Jennifer McGinnis and her dog were absent. Could it have been her dog(s)?

Alasdair and Nap have gone with a good round and "just a wee wobble in the shedding ring" according to the website. Bobby Dalziel had a very nice round, also.

Celt might have some relatives there, but I don't know. I shall cheer them all, anyway!

Looks like Nancy's out for the semifinals. Top 7 go on and she's in 10th right now. Still, a good showing her her and Nick. Haley Howard is just out too, about the same placement on another field. Right now it looks like only Tommy and Alasdair will be moving on from the first day of qualifying.

Thanks, Andrea! I am not familiar with the names of Celt's illustrious relatives but Andrew Carnegie won the Scottish National last year with Lark, as well. I was aware of that, and thought I understood that a Nell pup was also one of the winning Scottish National Brace team (maybe not quite the winning team?).

Celt got his "good stuff" from Nell. If she'd been bred to a sire that deserved her, I'd have some dog on my hands. As it is, I love him tremendously anyway (and he is devoted, despite my faults).

Thanks for pointing out that you and we do have "family" at the World Trial, and they are doing very well!

This is getting very confusing, with people running this dog for that person, and the pedigrees, and who is related to whom, and so forth!

Yes, Julie, of course it counts.

I think Tricia said that the dogs with the Alba prefix were Nell pups, like Alba Cap. My dog may not be much to anyone but me, but he's got some stellar relatives!

Alastair MacRae and Nap scored a very nice 190, ahead of Tommy and Sly by one point.

It appears that the top seven from each field from each day will be in Saturday's semi-finals so that means that both Alasdair and Tommy will advance with the dogs they ran today. It is officially posted for the top seven on Field 2 right now, but I don't see that posted yet for Field 1.