BC Boards

Would you be offended?

My Sil called and asked if she could come over Sat.

She then proceeded to request that I move my dogs to another location as she claims to be afraid.

I did take them to mom's during Christmas due to the outside weather but, I dont feel I should have to move them to accomodate her so she can use my property at will.

I wouldnt dream of going to her house and asking her to board the cats.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your dogs were prone to biting, I would say it a reasonable request IF it were you wanting her there. Putting them in a bedroom or crating would be fine as I know yours don't bite, IF it were you wanting her to come over. BUT since it is her wanting to come over for HER needs, I would tell her to take a flying err, well, you get the pic! Some people must have cahonees as big as bowling balls! Jeeze! Tell her not to worry, you will feed them before she gets there! Okay, I will shut up now, before I get the wild side of me going........AGAIN!

Nope, my home is my dogs' home, if you don't like my dogs then stay away..........I wouldn't be "offended" per se,

I WOULD inform her that I would NOT remove my dogs, if she is "afraid" of them then she needs to learn how to deal with it or visit somewhere neutral. She called you asking if she could come over, you didn't call her.

WWBC

What sort of burns me is my niece just moved here to go to Vet tech school. She will also be coming on Sat and I'm sure she would love to play with the dogs. She's terribly homesick and had to leave her pets at home untill she's settled.

Fred was so shocked when his sister asked he said what? He only agreed that I would keep them outside.

I don't allow other people to "dictate" what I should or will do in my own home. My home is maintained for the comfort and security of my animals, if you can't abide by that simple fact then you don't need to come to my home. How 'bout you keep the SIL outside If she's afraid of them she doesn't need to come over, especially by her own invitation...........

WWBC

I crate Zeeke usually, those odd times we have guests, since he is overwhelming and it doesn't help his training to let him jump all over people. But I would be seriously offended if someone asked to come over, and then requested my dogs be removed! Uhhhh... no. This is their home. Sorry.

I wouldn't take my dogs off my property for a visitor, either (although I might crate at home). You could tell your SIL, "I'd love to have you visit, but this is the dogs' home, so I can't displace them. However, I'd love it if you were comfortable with them so you could visit more often, particularly as your daughter would probably like to visit with us here while she's in tech school, and I'l love it if you could be here as well. I'm also sure you'd love to be able to see your brother any time, without fear of the dogs. If you're afraid, how about we crate the dogs, and work with one at a time so you can get used to them in small increments? We'll start with the easiest one. That way we can all enjoy each other's company."

If she's really afraid, and not just "disdainful" of dogs, I have some sympathy. This would provide her the opportunity to get over it. If it's just that she doesn't like YOUR dogs, then this might offer her the opportunity to get over THAT, as well. If she's just a controlling person, this would let her know, in an indirect and reasonably kind way, that you're not going to let her dictate the conditions of your household. Ditto if she's just disdainful of dogs.

Just a thought.

I try and be respectful with my dogs. I don't let them crotch sniff, jump, or get under foot. I consider them VERY well behaved. Therefor knowing my animals are not a problem, I will NOT change my pattern for anyone else. No darn way. I'm with the person that said my home is for me and my animals. Take it or leave it.

My dogs are trained to completely ignore anyone who doesn't initiate contact. My grandmother, who doesn't like dogs, thinks they are a waste of time and money, KNOWS they don't have emotions, etc, came to visit. The next days I caught her petting one;) It didn't take her long to figure out that they wouldn't bite her or knock her down. She accepts them now and even admits that they are better behaved that human kids.

Nope, my dogs would not be dislocated to accommodate a visitor, especially when the visitor is inviting themselves!

Except for Zachary, I do put my dogs in the dog room or outside if it's nice, when I have company mostly because I have a very small house and very rambuncious dogs. However, when my daughter and her partner come to visit, the dogs have their usual free run of the house although we make sure to let Cricket meet them slowly.

My home includes my dogs and cats and that's just the way it is.

My home is for children, husband, animals and I. If you wish to visit you are welcome to do so. HOWEVER, my animals canine and feline will be occupying the same building as you simultaniously. They will not be leaving unless I am going somewhere, they will not be shut up where they feel they are being punished unless it is for their own safety. If you cannot deal with this...DONT VISIT.

I would be bothered by such a request, particularly since she invited herself over, not the other way around! As others said, my house is my dogs' house, too.

If someone were truly afraid, I'd put my dogs in another room while they visited, but ship them off? No way.

I crate everyone (or lock them in the bedroom) when I have visitors expected, even "doggy" visitors. I do want people to feel welcome and not overwhelmed by my dogs all at once. Plus, if people bring their own dogs to visit, I want the dogs to feel the same.

Then, on request, I'll bring out the welcome wagon - Ben and Maggie.

I do have a feeling that no one would even bother to ask me to move my dogs somewhere else to accomodate them during a visit. But I'd be pretty taken aback if it did happen. That goes way over the top into managing your household for you.

I'm with Rebecca,

I tend to put my dogs in when people arrive (or are expected) and then allow them to mingle according to the comfort of the visitors. 5 dogs can be pretty overwhelming for people who are not used to, or are uncomfortable with, dogs. Usually, people end their visit happily interacting with my dogs (which tend to be pretty well-behaved). But, sometimes not, and these people would tend to visit infrequently anyways. My dogs get quite a lot of attention and it doesn't kill them to sit out (in our home) occasional visits from people who aren't comfortable with dogs.

Kim

There are cases where containing a dog to accommodate a visitor might be appropriate. For instance, when my grandchildren visit, Annie is kept in our bedroom. Annie is an exuberant, hyperactive 2-year-old BC, and our younger grandson is 1 year old. Annie would never intentionally hurt him, but might accidentally scratch him or knock him down. (When the older grandson comes to visit by himself, Annie is not confined, and plays soccer with him.) Missy, who is much older and more docile, has the run of the house when the kids visit.

With that said, other visitors have a choice; they can put up with the dogs, or forego the visit. This is rarely an issue, however; almost all of our visitors know how we feel about our dogs, and love to have them around as well.

If, and only if, the SIL were asking to come over for some sort of emergency or emotionally charged reason and were asking for help would I do it. If she's a basket case and the dogs would just make things worse. But that's a special case.

If she just wants to chat and is afraid of dogs that are not dangerous, she can ask you to her place. It's a tad rude to invite youself over, then make demands.

I'm thinking I set a bad presidence at Christmas by taking Dally and Jewel away but, I though the weather was bad and christmas is crazy enough. My parents were going out so I drove over and left them in the house.

I might have relocated Jewel anyway since she can be a pain in the Back side with visitors. She gets cage agressive with strange men or whines.

I dont think the borders should go anywhere. I know it's becuase my Sil is distainful that she wants them away. When she needed a place to stay she had no problem living with a dog.

I agree with the above posters.

I've got dogs. If you don't like them don't come over.

Now if you're truly afraid of them, sure I'll crate them for your comfort.

But if you invite yourself over and try and tell me what to do with my dogs you can buzz off and stay home...lol.

I've had non-dog savvy family over, and if they want to stay with us, they have to live with the dogs. :rolleyes:

Of course, my dogs don't go in any carpeted spaces, so the formal living & bedrooms are off limits. I supposed that gives the relatives somewhere to hide :D

What happened to courtesy and consideration?

If I am in a similar situation, I will try to make sure that my dogs are separated from my guest, but in a comfortable situation (crated or perhaps in a separate room).

It?s a compromise between being a good host and caring for one?s own pets.

I think the difference here is that the person invited themselves over and expects the houseowner to make her dogs leave for her.

As many folks said, they do crate or put their dogs in another area BUT that's at their discretion not dictated to them by the visitor.

Yep, I usually put the dogs out in the yard or behind baby gates, just because 7+ dogs can be overwhelming to even the most dog savvy of folks. Not to mention that visitors routinely refuse to reinforce my "no jumping up" training on the youngsters--not good for the pups or future visitors.

But I would be rather shocked if a family member or someone who knew me well called up and asked to come over and then asked me to remove my dogs. First off, family and friends would already know that I wouldn't allow my dogs to mob them, and second, it's their home too.

J.

I have no problem not letting my dogs run wild on guests.

Dal now has the full run of my basement with his crate and a toddler bed for him.

Maddie would probably jump on guests at this point so she wouldnt be alowed to openly off leash greet people.

The dogs also are gated out of the living room and upstairs.

I mean they ask to come over, now they request we also invite other guests. We are expected to put on a spread for them. (We've tried ordering out before it wasnt pretty). Now they are dictating that the dogs leave.

What would be next my parrot was giving them the eye so he needs to leave too?