BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
MaggieDog

Maggie and Ziva's adventure

Yesterday the girls and I had a herding lesson at Red Creek Farm.

Maggie has been on sheep 3 times before, so this was her 4th sheep experience in the past 4 years - we love herding but it's hard to find lessons. Maggie did decently, though she works *much* better for me than anyone else. She checked out pretty quickly with Carol Anne, but with me, she'll work and listen much better, though she still has her "wheee!" moments. This is the only pic I got of Maggie - when she was working more nicely I was in the pen with sheep and no camera of course. :rolleyes:

IMG_4676.jpg

Ziva's try was, umm, interesting. :D She had a *blast* chasing the sheep, but as soon as Carol Ann corrected her for it, she decided poop was more interesting. When I got in with her and the sheep the next time, she would engage a bit, but mostly just sniffed around and played the fool. We'll probably take her out one more time in a few months to see if the sniffing, etc. was just a reflection on the correction or not. If we don't see improvement, it will be fairly obvious that herding isn't her thing. :D Still, I did get some good "wheee!" pics from Z's session with Carol Anne.

Hmm, what are those?!

IMG_4677.jpg

Let me at 'em!

IMG_4679.jpg

Wheee!

IMG_4681.jpg

What do you mean I'm not supposed to do that?

IMG_4682.jpg

We wrapped our lesson up as Linda drove up with Skip and Jackson. Of course as soon as it was their turn, the heavens opened up with an absolute goose drowner. We need the rain, but poor Linda and Carol Anne were soaked to the skin in a matter on minutes. I was glad I finally got to meet the boys and Linda, but no pics due to the rain. :D

Looks like fun! Cute "whee!" pics. :rolleyes: Z sounds a bit like Alex, his first couple of times were mostly chasing, but my trainer let him, since it can be part of the turning on process in the beginning. He hasn't been out in a couple of months, so I'm curious to see if he shows interest beyond chasing. I'm thinking not, but we'll see.

Are you going to keep taking lessons with Maggie? Did *you* enjoy it?

Oh yes most def will continue with Maggie, though it won't be a regular thing - prob every few months. I've always enjoyed seeing Maggie with sheep as she is a lot more confident and obviously enjoys it. It's fun for me because of that but also because I was an animal science major in college and always enjoyed working with the livestock - I'll never forget having to herd sheep myself with 3 other people in one of my classes!

Erin,

How cool!! Mr. Bailey tested Dave and Riley for me at an event in Georgia. Dave was a bit to interested in the sheep at first and Mr. Huber "accidentally" popped him right on the nose with his stick. It took Dave a little bit to get over it, but once he did he was much more respectful. Riley just thought it was fun, and honestly looked like she was dancing with the sheep. She is so silly she just thought it was a fun game of chase, no clue about herding, lol. The Bailey's have clinics at their GA location, which isn't too far for us. So I hope to at least take Dave once they start back up in the fall.

Glad you got the pics up Erin, since I had to miss your session~! Maggie is just the sweetest girl. She even tolerated butt sniffing from my nosey boys! And I can see how you just fell in love with Z! Such sweet girls you have!

Dinah, glad you got a session in with Mr. Bailey himself! He has a mean streak in him though. He was out at Carol Anne's once during a lesson and I think he took great delite in letting me know how much more trainable the dog (Jackson) was than the handler(me)! Seriously, he is a really great guy and never minds answering questions from rookies. I would really like to go to a clinic at his place, but it is just too far.

Erin was kind enough not to mention Skips 2nd time on sheep. Again, no interrest! Jackson did well, we even got a couple of pens done. So, we are going to take Skip out every two weeks or so and see what happens. At least Z thought the sheep were fun!

Erin, that looked liked a great time! The last time I tried to give Tex another shot at herding...well, let's just say it was his last time. He obviously wants nothing more than his ball & frisbee...and to live happily ever after wrapped around my neck.