BC Boards

Likes to lick

My 6 month old pup likes to lick everything. He licks the carpet, the floor, your skin, the kitchen cabinets, the car radio, you name it, he'll lick it. I'm curious to know if this is a normal characteristic of a BC or if something could be wrong with him? My fiance says that none of his others dogs have ever shown this behavior. Could there be a medical reason for this? He's done this since we got him 4 months ago. If this is typical for a BC, will he always do this or is this just a puppy thing? I don't mind the licking. If you tell him to stop, he usually does.

Any adivce?

I think the licking at this age may possibly coincide with the chewing. Like babies, everything goes in the mouth--everything has to be tasted. I've also heard that licking can be a nervous, O/C thing. BCs do tend to be a little obsessive/compulsive. LOL! :rolleyes: I read once that instead of telling them "Stop", say "Thank you" and they will stop, without making it seem like a negative thing. That seems to have worked with Scooter. But all dogs are different. Just my experience.

My Nick is almost 4.5 yrs old, and he. licks. everything. There's a reason he's known as Licky Nick around here. He's about the world's happiest dog, and it's like he just can't help it, he's so HAPPY! I taught him "back off" and he does listen and quit mauling who or whatever he's licking. Sometimes, when he's really excited, though, he'll just lick the air in front of you :rolleyes: It's rather comical, and seems totally harmless. He hasn't yet licked something hot or sharp

(although he did try to eat a stinging nettle yesterday). I've never met ANY dog that licks as much as Nick, so I wouldn't call it normal. It's pretty endearing, though, esepcially with little kids :D

Mine does that too. He loves to lick my arm, hand, fingers, food bowl, carpet, and the window. Pretty much everything. I guess I figured it was normal since he did it all the time. Ever since I got him. But I know he's weird :rolleyes:

BCs can get a little obsessive about certain behaviors and the more they practice the better they become. Interrupting and redirecting helps.

And it never hurts to get a medical checkup to rule out any issues. We are talking a young guy so it could be anything...from teething to a behavior issue that is self rewarding.

Skyler is a crazy licker also, Piper not so much. Like Tigas mom said, it doesn't bother us either. When my fiances parents watched her for a week, her cousin gave her the nickname "lizard dog" because he said she looked like a lizard flicking her tongue out. She mainly just air licks though.

The only time my Wren doesn't lick is if she's almost asleep, and she often falls asleep while licking. She licks everything and it's like her tongue gets stuck to things. She will even fall asleep with her tongue "stuck" to the couch, floor, pillow, whatever. It's bizarre. We're always peeling her tongue off of something or other. :rolleyes: The same dog is a toy-sucker, if she's not watched carefully.

Binx doesn't lick everything, he only licks...MY FACE!!

But he's really good at it and has learned how to torture me with it. If we are playing and I call him up when I'm in the big floppy chair, he will jump into my lap with all 4 feet and lick my whole face as I am flailing and trying to avoid that cow tongue of his :rolleyes: .

It has become our ritual for ending ball games in the house.

It must be normal behavior, my guys will lick anything. They approach the entire world face first with tongue out. My youngest dog is a licking fool. I caught him one day standing on the hood of my Jeep licking the windshield. He licks the inside of the windows and the seats. He also likes to jump into the bathtub after I take a shower and lick up any soap that was left behind. Needless to say, I need to choose my soaps carefully. I think licking is part of being a dog and we have nothing to worry about except watch what they can get into.

Its good to know that there isn't anything wrong with him. I don't mind the licking so much as long I know its not because of something else. I too, am very careful about soaps/cleaners because I know he will lick it. He'll stop when you ask him to, but he will give you a very sad look. I've begun to try the "thank you" technique. He'll look at you when you say it, but he hasn't quite associated it yet. Time for click and treat.

• 2 months later...

Oh, DTrain, I am so glad I'm not the the only person in the world whose BC thinks licking the shower clean is part of her job description! If I don't hurry and get dressed, she decides that she needs to lick the soap film off my feet too. She licks everything. For some reason she is particularly fond of my bed pillow and will leave it sopping wet if I forget to put it out of her reach. The really weird thing is that she doesn't lick the pillow when I'm gone to work or elsewhere, only when I'm home but otherwise preoccupied.

My Bess doesn't hold her licker very well either, she's 8 months now and the behavior is fading some, but it is still her favorite thing to try to slip in a lick on my DH face cause he does the whole "Lucy" routine ...ACK dog germs...