BC Boards

Dog dragged

Do not attatch your dog leash to another dog!

OOps, I did. Thought it'd be fun for Sophie, BC, to take Lucy (16yr GS) for a walk, they looked so cute, Lucy tries to keep up with Sophie, so what was the problem, uh oh! Sophie loves the water and went straight for it, down the drop to it, we were shouting to Sophie who just wanted to get wet, while poor Lucy was rolling down the drop. After her quick dip Sophie comes out and tries to drag Lucy with her, we got there to help with this bit.

Lucy seemed fine and it was still kind of funny, but I won't do that again!!! :rolleyes:

Actually I do this with my foster dogs when they are learning a recall. I will attach a 6ft lead to the foster and my aussie Riley who will brook no silliness when it comes to recall. He is a solid 55 lbs and I use a harness vs. a regular collar to avoid stress and jerking on his neck. It allows him to brace against the pull of the other dog. However I dont use this until I feel the foster is ready to start coming off his 30 ft dragline and actually leave the line on the first few times.

hehe. Try it with a shih tzu and a border collie. :rolleyes:

I taught Dazzle to "go get Peanut" (by the leash). Turns out helpful - Dazzle runs to little Peanut, picks up the leash, and walks her back to me. Pretty cute to watch!

I agree with Pat. I used to harness my JRT puppy to my 55# Australian Cattle Dog. The puppy very quickly learned to come back when I called the ACD, and I could remove the tether after the first few times.

One thing I ended up doing later with my JRT was harnessing him to a soccer ball and having him drag it when we went to unfenced areas. He could gallop slowly while pulling it, but it would quickly tangle around a tree if he tried to bolt after the wildlife. The bad part is that he would occasionally trip up a person walking in the park... usually ME!

Columbia, MO

Heh heh. When I was in undergrad my housemate got a puppy at about the time Carlie was around 1.5 years old. She has a spectacular recall so when we would have one too many to drink we would tie puppy Belle to Carlie and let Carlie walk her for her last potty break of the night. Carlie would always put on a long suffering look but would very nicely stop for Belle to do her business before walking on. When called though watch out...here came Carlie whether Belle wanted to or not. As a result Belle also has a great recall!!

Olivia