BC Boards

Swallowed a Bully Stick

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

I know it is totally my fault, but my 9 month old BC just swallowed about a 2 inch piece of her bully stick. She has a tendency to put the whole thing in her mouth and gnaw on it when it gets smaller, and I usually catcher her and take them away from her. But, I totally missed it tonight and down it went. I know it was probably a little softened up for her chewing it, but it was at probably at least about 2 inches long. Is this something I should worry about? Are the odds that it will pass easily in a day or so? I am just a little worried...........

Can't say Skye ever did this for sure, but I have always worried about it and have actually seen her gulp the last bit down when it becomes too short to hold. I think if there was no choking or gagging then its gone all the way down and will undoubtably come out the other end in short order. They do soften up quite a bit and will keep getting softer I'm sure while in the digestive system -- but I'm no vet. I'd keep an eye on her and if there's no sign of distress, she's probably ok.

Things to watch out for if swallowed: corn cobs (NEVER let your dog anywhere near them!) and dental floss. Don't mean to be an uber-alarmist, but both can kill :rolleyes:

Ailsa

That brings up the question: what the heck are they, anyway? Odin loves them (picked his first one out himself from a low-placed bin at the pet store), but I don't understand what they are made of. I only know they smell about 15% better than pigs ears, and he won't touch rawhide anymore anyway. We are going through a rough teething phase (blood *running* down each side of his chin today) and he's gotta have something, so I buy them even though I have no idea what they are, exactly.

Gotta get some more bones. Somehow I found those to be distinctly less gross, although also apparently not fully safe (e.g., Piper's recent mishap). I least I know what they are.

That brings up the question: what the heck are they, anyway? Odin loves them (picked his first one out himself from a low-placed bin at the pet store), but I don't understand what they are made of. I only know they smell about 15% better than pigs ears, and he won't touch rawhide anymore anyway. We are going through a rough teething phase (blood *running* down each side of his chin today) and he's gotta have something, so I buy them even though I have no idea what they are, exactly.

Gotta get some more bones. Somehow I found those to be distinctly less gross, although also apparently not fully safe (e.g., Piper's recent mishap). I least I know what they are.

Whose gonna break it to her? I don't know quite how to put it .... RDM? You have a way with words.... :rolleyes:

Ailsa

IT'S A PEENER!! A COW PEENER!! YOUR DOG HAS BEEN EATING WILLIES!!

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

RDM :D

Thank you. I feel better now. I don't know if Ooky does though after deeply inhaling :rolleyes:

A.

:rolleyes: ^^

Allie's passed a barely digested bully stick nub with no sign of distress. That said, I'd keep an eye on your pup, and consult your vet if her belly is sore, or if she's straining to defecate. Otherwise I'd say no need to panic.

I have an angry announcement to make. I have been feeding my dog cheap imitation weiners. The tag on the new one DH just brought back from the store says "vegetable oil, soy protein, and meat by-products". This from the shee-shee east bay pet store. I'm sure it contains *some* willy by-product, but what a disappointment.

The sad thing is I'm surrounded by them anyway. That's what living with a DH and 3 male animals gets you. :rolleyes:

this reminds me of a herding clinic I went to

I was the only male at this clinic and it was one of the first

clinics i went to. I asked the stupid question

"where are all the male sheep?"

I was told that most of them get castrated at birth

I was than asked "why do you think we castrate them"

I had no idea

The answer "to make them smarter"