BC Boards

BC Job: Keeping the house & yard safe from...

...bees, flies, shadows, bluejays, hummingbirds... and a PUMPKIN???

Kaylee's a busy girl these days, with so much to protect her yard from. I finally had to move the hummingbird feeders to the front yard, as the fiesty little things were having way too much fun taunting Kaylee, and she had worn a deep swale in the mulch on our paths with her running after them.

But last night, she was barking ALARM! in the corner of the garden, and it was a green pumpkin that had appeared there, that DIDN'T BELONG and was SCARY.

I petted the pumpkin and reassured her that it was harmless, but she is still doubtful about it... Silly goose!

That's hilarious - what a vigilant girl! What's funny is my Border collie Quynn has a problem with green pumpkins, also. Exact same scenario...BC goes out to pee, sees a strange, round object that wasn't there(wasn't noticed) before, and alerts the neighborhood of likely danger. It required my confidently approaching the pumpkin, praising it as though it had just earned it's MACH, and patting it reassuringly while looking at Quynn. :rolleyes:

Oh, that is so funny. Take out "Kaylee" and type in "Kylie". That's my dog to the "T". When I was researching the breed I read a really good article which talked about how border collies feel the need to protect their homes and families from "grizzley bears"....which could be disguised as a person in a hat or any strange object that has appeared out of nowhere. I can't tell you how many times we laugh and say "yeah, there's a grizzley." We had a tree that had toppled in our yard....BIGGG grizzley. She noticed the ceiling fan...another grizzley. Someone moved the garden tractor cart to another part of the yard...yep! a grizzley. Our home and yard are polluted with grizzley bears! What really surprises me is that once you take her to it and show her what it is, she gets over it so quickly....then it's ok. (Except the tree...she wasn't really happy until it was all cut up and taken away.)

I can't tell you how many times we laugh and say "yeah, there's a grizzley."

Oh, dear, it was a grizzley, cleverly disguised as a green squash. That explains a lot! We'll keep our eyes (and noses) peeled: them grizzlies is clever beasts!

Try showing Kylie what you look like with a T-Shirt over your head! BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!