BC Boards

Leave It, Schmeave It.

Leave it. LEAVE IT? You've gotta be kidding me! Can't you see that animal that I have pinned right up against the house, directly under the open living room window? I'm not gonna LEAVE IT! It's a really exotic animal - not a cat or a squirrel. It's small, and scuttly, and it's got black fur with a white stripe down the middle. LEAVE IT?! Come ON Lady! This is the most excitement I've had all week! I've only ever seen one of these before - that day you locked me in the yard and then gave me a really long bath with hydrogen peroxide. And LOOK! I've got it pinned RIGHT UNDER OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!? It's SO COOL! NO LEAVE IT! NO LEAVE IT! NO WAY IN HELL!

::Sigh::

A skunk standing directly below one's living room window for 5 minutes can give off an extraordinary scent, even when it doesn't spray.

Mary

A couple of weeks ago I was able to call Boo off a skunk that he bolted after when we were on our walk. I was pretty impressed with his obedience at the time. Unfortunately, I was asleep the night he went after the one that got in my yard a week ago -- and he killed it. He has a new nickname...stinky boy.

Buster also failed to read the memo stating "spraying you with a noxious substance is a survival mechanism for me, please run the other way." He killed the first skunk and got sprayed by another. FYI, Natures Miracle makes a product that you pour on and let dry, it takes away most of the smell.

A few years ago I was headed home from work late one night when I got a call from my folks telling me to high-tale it to our grocery store and get as much tomato juice as I could... our dogs got sprayed right in our front yard. Our windows were open in the house because it was a nice night, it took a while for the smell go disappear in the house...

who knew that a black and white creature could cause so much trouble... oh wait... :rolleyes:

That was the incorrect command :D

For skunks the command is WHATTHEHLLAREYOUDOINGDONTTOUCHTHATYOUARENEVERCOMINGNEARMEAGAIN

of course you should say this in a gentle and positive tone

:rolleyes::D

Thanks for the smile today!

LOL! I thought it was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

LoL, that is great. Luckily, my dogs have never had an encounter with a skunk.

OTOH, today I got to hold a baby skunk! Some local breeders brought their baby to the reptile show I had a booth at today, and the wee thing was SO sweet and snuggly. (Scent glands had been removed, of course.)

Threads like this make me so glad we don't have skunks :rolleyes:

Boy, you know, I was thinking about skunks yesterday: what a strange but perfect design of evolution (or creation) they are. The fact that there is a single species with that gland full of horrific scent, and that it's also marked by the bold white stripe to tell the world it's coming during the dusky hours of morning. You walk down the street and you can tell that you're stepping where a skunk has walked, the trail of scent is so strong.

Had to walk the dog at 3:45 a.m. (don't ask), and skunks were everywhere! I kept making noise as we went down the street so they'd know we were coming and skeedaddle. But they're pretty bold - we get pretty close before Buddy scares them enough to make them move.

Time to buy some fresh hydrogen peroxide. And for those of you who don't have the skunk remedy ingredients in your house yet, check it out: http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm It works completely if you get it on early enough. I've gotta remember to put a kit in my car this year - one of my nightmares is having to load a skunk-sprayed dog in my car.

Mary

Boy, you know, I was thinking about skunks yesterday: what a strange but perfect design of evolution (or creation) they are. The fact that there is a single species with that gland full of horrific scent, and that it's also marked by the bold white stripe to tell the world it's coming during the dusky hours of morning.

Its a bit like our funnel web spiders. They are one of the most deadly to man in the world, worse than redbacks or black widows, but their venom only affects primates and they evolved when there where no people in the Australia. Maybe not a perfect evolutionary design but a very unfortunate one for us.

ETA Plus they are the most evil looking spider and aggressive.

[!"

OTOH, today I got to hold a baby skunk! Some local breeders brought their baby to the reptile show I had a booth at today, and the wee thing was SO sweet and snuggly. (Scent glands had been removed, of course.)

i thought a law had been passed rohibiting the removal of scent glands

For the second time in 3 weeks, Boo got gassed, and I'm nursing a black eye because of it. :rolleyes:

I suppose a little back story is in order...Jill jumps the baby gates so I've devised a way to discourage this by placing a tensioned shower curtain rod about 30" above the top of the baby gate and hanging a towel from it. So far it has worked.

So late last night I was sitting on the patio outside my bedroom hoping to catch some more of the Pleides meteor shower when Boo and Jill sprinted along the fence barking up a storm.

Boo gets sprayed and in the instant I realize this, we both made a mad dash for the sliding screen door to my bedroom, which I had left open. I knew full well he'd try to rub himself on the furniture, bed and carpet. I got there a millisecond before he did and managed to shut the screen, but unfortunately, in his frenzy that didnt stop him, so he came barging through the screen. :D I managed to grab him by the scruff, and shouting all the while, bodily threw him out and shut the slider. I had a brief moment to catch my breath before I realized he could still get in through the open back porch door and the doggie door right next to it, so I sprinted through the darkened house for the back door and smacked right into the shower curtain rod, which came crashing down. It clipped me at the brow of my right eye and split my eyelid, but I had no time to lose so as soon as I stopped seeing stars I got to the back door, slid the panel into the dog door and went to slam the back door shut...and the door handle came off in my hand :D

So the dogs spent the night outside in the yard and I spent the night with an ice pack on my eye. <shakes head> Bad stinky boy!!! :D

And for those of you who don't have the skunk remedy ingredients in your house yet, check it out: http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm It works completely if you get it on early enough. I've gotta remember to put a kit in my car this year - one of my nightmares is having to load a skunk-sprayed dog in my car.

That recipe really works! We had a bad skunk spray situation a few years ago, when we took the dogs to the coast and stayed in a pretty fancy dog friendly hotel. Bingo managed to find himself a skunk in the dunes on our way back from the beach and I had no. idea. what. to. do. It was horrifying. Put him in a car? NO! Take him into the hotel room? NO! Stake him out on his leash on the hotel lawn? Well... probably not. Luckily a friend I got ahold of knew this recipe, so one of us stayed with the dog and the other ran for the ingredients. It worked well enough for him to sleep in the hotel room with us and ride home in the car. So keeping the ingredients in your car is probably a really good idea!

So the dogs spent the night outside in the yard and I spent the night with an ice pack on my eye. <shakes head> Bad stinky boy!!! :rolleyes:

Well, if it's any consolation, the story reads like a reeeeaally well-produced scene in a wacky family comedy. Quite the visuals. Nice descriptive writing. :D

The best stories to tell at parties later on are the ones that make you really mad in the moment.

Mary

Well, if it's any consolation, the story reads like a reeeeaally well-produced scene in a wacky family comedy. Quite the visuals. Nice descriptive writing. :D

The best stories to tell at parties later on are the ones that make you really mad in the moment.

Mary

Totally agree. That was beautifully written Nancy. (Seriously - you should contribute that to a mag - a dog one of couirse - only dog people would truly understand. :D )

And now us Aussies are even more glad we don't have skunks (or any other stinky animals) down here. :rolleyes: Ours only smell really bad after they've died and the dogs smear themselves all over the carcass.