BC Boards

Woohoo we made it!!

Yup, Z passed her eval today, despite the 101 degree temps (we were outside for about 45 mins).

She's not stellar in terms of toy drive with other people yet, but she works nicely for food and they think she should do well with some work with others using her tuggy and/or a ball. On the "search" test she did nicely, especially given the heat - she looked for her ball for a good 10 mins before she wandered over to get water and flop on the grass, which apparently is a good start.

Our homework is to build drive to the victim using "runaways" and "pop ups"; runaways are just that: the dog is restrained while the victim hides and then is released when they are raring to go, pop ups are similar except the person goes out of sight to hide and then "pops up" every so often so the dog gets glimpses of them.

Z's not to come to the next few practices until we get some more of the above training under our belt at home, but then she'll start training for real with the club. :rolleyes::D :D

I'm soooooooo proud of my little girl, especially because she'll be the smallest dog and the only mixed breed on the team!

THAT is WAY Cool :rolleyes:

Congrats to both of you; I can't wait to hear more about it. I've never done any SAR training and I don't know anyone personally who has. It seems like fascinating work - please keep us posted about the pros and cons and how you guys are doing!

Thanks guys!

Since several people have asked for updates and insights on our SAR training, I'm thinking of starting a blog. I'll let you all know if I do. Should be a wild ride! :rolleyes:

eta: blog is up! Addy is: http://zthesardog.blogspot.com/