BC Boards

Please send Ling some good board MOJO

We got home yesterday morning from a week in Alaska (fabulous vacation!) visiting my brother and family. Around 2 in the afternoon, Ling had diarrhea... and I mean REALLY liquidy poop. So I figured it was just the excitement, or maybe the sitter gave her too many treats or something, so I put some pumpkin in her pm food. This morning we woke up to diarrhea in the living room and puke on the rug. But the kicker is that there were shards of COOKED POULTRY BONES in the puke!!!! AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH! I was, and still am, pretty bummed with my dog sitter. She said the only time it could have happened was when she cleaned the fridge and left the open bag with a turkey breast carcass in it by the front door just long enough to go grab her shoes. And the dogs ARE always very good about not taking stuff they're not given (no counter surfing or dumpster diving problems at my house). BUT STILL....

So now I'm worried about her. Hopefully she threw it all up, and my vet says it's ok to just keep an eye on her today and see how she's acting, not feed her, then give her rice and chicken tomorrow. She seemed fine and was full of energy yesterday, but seemed uncharacteristically restless last night. She's been really clingy, but I don't know how much of that to attribute to the fact that I was gone for nine days.

I'm sure she'll be fine, but I don't like the thought of any more of those damn bone shards rattling around inside her digestive tract causing damage.

It is never fun to deal with vomit and diarrhea.

Nope, not fun, but not the end of the world either. I'm mostly worried about longer term consequences, like an obstruction. And can't cooked bone shards cause a perforation? My vet didn't mention that, but I'm imagining the worst, of course.

I'm sorry you had to come home to that. Here's mojo from AR hoping she's feeling better soon

My daughters dog will eat anything (not that he is allowed but...) never gives him any trouble. I have one that likes to eat stuff she finds, that worries me to death.

Here's hoping it's come through or up and she's better quick.

This leave your dog home for vacation is not my favorite thing right now. That's when one of my senior girls went a-wall. I didn't get to enjoy our trip till the last 2 days.

I'm sorta glad that if this had to happen, it did when you were almost back. News like this will wreck a trip fast!

Let us know

Kristen

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Ling! Cooked bones can cause a perforation, it's true. Definitely very scary. But when these kinds of things happen, I try to remember that thousands of dogs get into the garbage and eat cooked bones every day, and the vast majority are just fine. So it's likely that Ling will be just fine, and you are watching her closely in case she does suffer any residual damage. I'm sending the strongest mojo I can muster for her in any case!

I try to remember that thousands of dogs get into the garbage and eat cooked bones every day, and the vast majority are just fine.

Yep, and I had one of them. My borzoi once ate a whole chicken breast (my mom sent it home with me), plastic baggie, twist tie and all. Left no sign it had ever existed. He was fine with no intervention. Sending mojo along to Ling and you that she will be too.

Sending mojo...

gee, glad I'm not the only one that loves coming home to a sick dog due to the actions of someone else... :rolleyes:

I'm just glad I got to come home to my dog!

I remember my daughters dog, we were dogsitting on Thanksgiving, we left the turkey bones on the counter shoved way back into a corner. Went outside for a bit and came back in. No turkey bones, no evidence, nothing. I thought someone had done the dishes and put the leftovers away. Nope...Pach ate the whole thing. Then licked all the grease and incriminating evidence off the floor. Pan was as clean as it could be still in the back corner. Sneaky dog he was!

Any other evidence come out?

K~

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. Nothing else has come out either end, but she is acting pretty pouty and clingy. I think she probably just doesn't feel too great. She wasn't a happy camper when Bingo got his dinner and she got none at feeding time, and she is really begging at the front door for frisbee time. My instincts tell me that racing and jumping around is NOT a good idea right now though, so she'll just have to endure a quiet night.

I'm sure if Daisy's doggy brain could take it in, she'd empathize, having been through 2 weeks of awful spouting runs this summer. As she got better, she's been having a bit of Fortiflora (powdered dog intestinal flora) every day. I'm not sure if it works or if it's magic foo-foo dust, but she is doing just fine!

Hope everything turns out okay for Ling. Geez, now I'm getting nervous about leaving Scooter for a few days with my nephew. I always leave him a full page of typewritten instructions, and he's good with him, but still..... :rolleyes:

Ling ate her rice and chicken this morning, then had a normal BM! Yeah! So I guess we're out of the woods.

Now I'm trying to decide whether leaving a cooked turkey bones in an open garbage bag with an unsupervised dog, even for a few seconds, then failing to notice that Ling had taken it is a bad enough mistake to make me switch dog sitters.