BC Boards

does your BC like cats?, and more

Some times When I walk Bandit in my neighborhood we some times see a large sweet cat that comes over to us and rubs up against Bandit.

Bandit will on many occasions take me back to where the cat lives in hopes of seeing him/her again.

I like cats but have not owned one since I was a kid. I'm now thinking of maybe one day getting a cat for bandit for company.

Ironicaly before I had a chance to post this topic, I was watching local news on tv , I saw where a woman had rescued a kitten that was thrown out a car window travaling 65 mph.

http://www.wavy.com/global/story.asp?s=877...;srvc=leadstory

Lance

OMG that poor kitten :D

People can be so evil. :rolleyes:

Lance, your Bandit sounds so sweet.

My dogs live with cats, and get along wonderfully with them.

Jak often shares MY bed with Azime (16 yr) who has the same black & white markings as him (gotta find some pictures), and Brassy LOVES Romi (14 yr).... they snuggle together often. Lizzy likes them too, but mostly enjoys licking their dishes after they've finished eating!

The cats are the bosses in our home, and the dogs respect their space.

Cats outside our house are a different story.... Lizzy & Jak want to chase them. Brassy just wants to be friends. :D

Cheers!

Shelby "had" a cat when she was younger. :rolleyes: it was cute, the kitten acted like a dog and Shelby acted like a cat :D

of course then the kitten ran away and found another family..........

Suka doesn't really 'see' cats at all. It's weird.

Tonight, she started a neighborhood cat directly under our feet, and it bolted, but that's the first time I've seen her give any real interest in cats at all. I suspect it was the grey-n-white streak that got her attention, anyway. When we came back in, one of the house cats startled and ran, and all Suka did was jerk her head up and look. But two minutes later, when the cat came wandering back in the room, Suka just didn't see him again - It's like there was nothing there to her.

LOL! I've actually thought myself about getting a kitty for Buddy. Even though cats are not my favorite thing. Buddy loves to approach calm cats, and whines in his friendly "I want to meet you" way. Mind you, he got cat-attacked once, and is spooked enough to stay a few feet away. But he definitely has more love for the average cat we meet than for the average dog. Which adds one more layer to the mystery of his first 18 months of life.

Mary

People are idiots!

Binx is great with cats - both indoor and outdoor. We do have a couple BC's in rescue; however, that would gladly give chase and more if given the opportunity. Many dogs are simply curious and once given a chance to sniff the cat and instructions to LEAVE IT if they attempt to be rough or chase it, they learn quickly that the cat is off limits...unless of course the cat is outdoors and running..then the prey drive does usually kick in. I have been able to manage most dogs with my cats indoors without issue though.

Sounds like Bandit would be happy to have kitty as a housemate :rolleyes:

Suka doesn't really 'see' cats at all. It's weird.

She may be afraid of them....In Turid Ruggas "Calming Signals" book, she talks about some dogs "pretend the other dog is not there" when actually, they are very aware of them and are purposefully not looking or interacting with them.

I inherited my (senior) cat when my dear mother passed two years ago. He’s been through several dogs in his 12+ years and is very dog savvy. I adopted Lewie last Sept at the age of just-a-baby so he’s grown up with Shadow the cat. Shad is very tolerant of Lewie even though Lewie treats him as a squeak toy. The cat in not declawed and could injure him seriously if he ever wanted to. I’ve only once seen him discipline Lewie and it wasn’t severe. He was still a rambunctious pup and really deserved to be put in his place.

I’ve often thought that when Shadow is gone Lewie would like another kitty brother or sister rather than a doggie sibling

Our cat Bob helps raise the dogs. He plays with them, disciplines them, and cuddles with them. They grow up adoring cats, him in particular. A few the older ones not raised with a cat like him would consider eyeing and maybe chasing - but we nip that in the bud immediately.

Sounds like you dog would like to have a cat friend.

Eta: my Dad found Bob as a 3 month old stray at a rural gas station. Somebody had dumped him and a group of dogs off. Bob was just "hanging out with the "guys" " :rolleyes:

She may be afraid of them....In Turid Ruggas "Calming Signals" book, she talks about some dogs "pretend the other dog is not there" when actually, they are very aware of them and are purposefully not looking or interacting with them.
Interesting. The *very* first greeting Suka got coming in the house was a rather pissy statement from Max, the grand ol' man of the house. All the usual - deep growling yowl, hissing, attack posture, and the rest. He puts on one helluva display, and he can back it up, too. Fortunately, he's old and creaky, and leaves it at threats, unless pushed. At my mother's house, Buddy, the campus-cat tom, charged her and would've set her to flight if she hadn't been on-lead, and my mother willing to pay in blood to stop the cat.

What you suggest makes a deal of sense. On the other hand, if she's willing to leave be, and the house cats aren't harassing her, I'm not sure I'm going to worry about it.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses and stories.

On our first meeting with the cat we sometimes see when walking, I met the owner. He had told me he rescued the cat from the shelter. If Bandit continues to enjoy the cat, I've thought to ask the owner in the future if he might be interested in the cat comming to live with Bandit......Just a silly thought!.....I can't remember what the cat's owner said during our conversation, but it sounded like he was not too attached to the cat....I'm thinking maybe the guy's wife or other family member rescued the cat.

Lance

Ceana loves cats, unfortunetly they do not feel the same. She likes to put their heads in her mouth and drag them like a rope. She doesn't bite down, just mouths them and makes their heads soggy. Thus no kitties for Ceana. Poke sniffs cat butt and wants to chase them, but he hasn't had the same amount of interaction as Ceana has so I have no idea how he would do. As long as Ceana is around there will be no kitties and we will never know.

I've got a couple "cat" stories.

My old male dog, Mick, had his own barn cat. We just called him "Mick's cat" They slept together, ate together. Best friends. One morning when I woke up there they were waiting by the window. The cat was running in and out between Micks legs. After about 3 minutes, Mick started humping the cat. How much affection can a guy take before acting on it? LOL.

Another story- Same barn cat had kittens. 3 died. I took in the other 3 into the house and got her spayed. Miss Lacey let them "nurse" on her and cleaned them up. I videoed it all. They looked like BC pup's until they raised their heads and meowed. So cute.

I think adopting the cat that Bandit "picked" is a great idea.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses and stories.

On our first meeting with the cat we sometimes see when walking, I met the owner. He had told me he rescued the cat from the shelter. If Bandit continues to enjoy the cat, I've thought to ask the owner in the future if he might be interested in the cat comming to live with Bandit......Just a silly thought!.....I can't remember what the cat's owner said during our conversation, but it sounded like he was not too attached to the cat....I'm thinking maybe the guy's wife or other family member rescued the cat.

Lance

I think adopting the cat that Bandit "picked" is a great idea.

:D Awww. Me, too.

Violet pretty much ignores cats, except for when Clawdia stares at her. Turns out BC don't enjoy the tables being turned at all - Violet gives her an injured look and goes to hide.

Faith and Scot aren't allowed to be unsupervised with cats because they both believe if-it-runs-then-God-meant-for-me-to-chase-it. :rolleyes: We're working on it.

Dixie and Kaylee get along great with the cat we inherited last year when my sister passed away. they will either just walk up to her and give her a lick (making the poor cat soggy) or else they chase her, as a team of course. but when they arent bothering with the cat, the cat will come up and rub against them to get their attention.

when my sister in law came over with her dog the cat arched it's back and looked just like the pictures of cats you see around Haloween time. she was also making sounds that i never even knew a cat could make, so I dont think there is any gurantee that the cat you get will like the dog. Best bet would be to get a kitten so she grows up getting used to being around the dogs.