BC Boards

teaching to grip

my seven year old BC has a good outrun, squaring, driving.however we have a problem with confrontational sheep. as long as i keep BC at a distance sheep will more and all go well. when i shorten the conform zone a couple of sheep will charge and back him off. i have tried to get him to snap at them but he will only back down and circle them and gather them.

i have heard several methods to try and get him to grip the sheep. what is you recommendations.

PS i have a three year old, had only 3 months, and only in beginning stages of training. they will not even think of backing him off. he will grip them in a second.

thanks for the help

bill

my seven year old BC has a good outrun, squaring, driving.however we have a problem with confrontational sheep. as long as i keep BC at a distance sheep will more and all go well. when i shorten the conform zone a couple of sheep will charge and back him off. i have tried to get him to snap at them but he will only back down and circle them and gather them.

i have heard several methods to try and get him to grip the sheep. what is you recommendations.

PS i have a three year old, had only 3 months, and only in beginning stages of training. they will not even think of backing him off. he will grip them in a second.

thanks for the help

bill

First a couple of questions - what kind of sheep are you working? What are your circumstances such as size of areas you could work in? (big field, round pen, working chutes) Just need a little more info to set up some exercises!

Vergil

First a couple of questions - what kind of sheep are you working? What are your circumstances such as size of areas you could work in? (big field, round pen, working chutes) Just need a little more info to set up some exercises!

Vergil

hair sheep. ewes 2 to 3 years old. only 5. large field

hair sheep. ewes 2 to 3 years old. only 5. large field

Your sheep have learned what your dog has and unfortunately nothing is going to change with these particular sheep. I would suggest that you get your dog somewhere where there is a large number of sheep and you could do some chute work. That way he is in a close area where he can learn his power/gain more confidence.

Vergil

PS - It is probably time to replace these five...they have got your dog's number! :>