BC Boards

MSN in Chicago

btrent

MSN is being considered in the City of Chicago. I would urge any and all in that geographic area, and especially dog clubs in Illinois, to get educated and oppose this ordinance. I am told that there is a hearing on July 29th.

--Billy

what's msn? I mean, besides the cable channel.

MSN is being considered in the City of Chicago. I would urge any and all in that geographic area, and especially dog clubs in Illinois, to get educated and oppose this ordinance. I am told that there is a hearing on July 29th.

--Billy

MSN has been proven to actually make the shelter problem worse, not better. This link gives reasons why in one area and more links. Basically one big reason is the irresponsible simply abandon their dogs rather than pay for the surgery. And mandatory s/n does nothing about the real problem - which is abandonment of dogs after puppy stage. Many shelters actually import puppies from other areas because they can't get enough. Nobody wants the 18 month old with no manners who isn't cute and puppish anymore.

All MSN does it make it harder, and more expensive, for small legitamate breeders to produce puppies. They don't breed their dogs every heat, and won't breed a dog until it's mature (several heats, several years old) and have to pay yearly license fees anyway. Puppy mills? Who cares about permits and license? The puppy mill will make $$$$ each year, twice a year if they can, that pays for licensure just fine. They don't have "maybe" breeders they house and feed that they are putting 3-5 years into training before they decide to spay or breed like the responsible guy. They breed anything, as early as possible.

I'm all for voluntary s/n of non-breeding dogs owned by the public, but I also have a real aversion to "big brother" telling me what to do. My dog is *property*, not a kid, and what to do with it within humane boundaries should be up to the owner and their own respective vet. If want to keep my dog intact (and I prefer it, as does my vet) and my dogs abides by public nuisance laws (doesn't roam, doesn't bark endlessly or threaten people or property) then Leave Me Alone.

Most communities already have laws that would stop most irresponsible issues that come from overbreeding and poor ownership. Enforce roaming laws, humane care laws...then when that's done look if more laws are necessary. MSN sounds great - but who's enforcing it, and on whom? Does the old "when guns are outlaws only outlaws will have guns" sound similar? (please lets leave guns out of that, but I think it helps make my point to say this)

If you want to solve the problem the best best has been low cost spay/neuter available to the general public easily - a spca "spay bus" for example. Make it easy to spay/neuter for the guy that makes minimum wage and can't get off work to drive the dog down for a surgery that takes food of the table for the family.

With the numbers of animals being euthanized every day in shelters, someone has to start somewhere in ending it. MSN may be a bit "big brother-ish", but can someone come up with some better ideas????

Please spend some time reading the topics on the following website:

http://www.saveourdogs.net/

Especially the page on Shelter Population:

http://www.saveourdogs.net/population.html

And this page about other legislation:

http://www.saveourdogs.net/experience.html

I am copying this quote since the Chicago proposed ordinance is modeled on Los Angeles:

Los Angeles, California

In the six months after the 2007 mandatory spay/neuter ordinance

28% increase in euthanasias

20% increase in impounds

2000 mandatory spay or pay ordinance

Decline in licensing compliance since passage of this ordinance

Animal control budget after passage of the law rose 269%, from $6.7 million to $18 million.

City hired additional animal control officers and bought new trucks and equipment just to enforce the new law

Mandatory spay neuter means the end of the working dog not to mention the end of individual rights in the U.S. There is simply no way that a person in the U.S. should be barred from owning and responsibly keeping an intact cat or dog that they do not allow to roam. It also adds to the growing anti-agriculture movement.

The California bill also does nothing to help with the feral cat problem. It only attacks responsible cat (and dog) owners who have been dutiful about licensing their (intact) pets (at a much higher fee).

The above reasons are only the beginning of why I and others have been working hard to oppose CA AB 1634 for over a year. Note: I am not a breeder.

--Billy

• 2 weeks later...