BC Boards

Tib 1994 to 2008

sea4th

This is premature, by a matter of a couple of hours. Tib is approaching the end of her life. She lies by my feet, unable to get up. She has no appetite and has difficulty lifting her head even to drink, so I sit on the floor with her, cradling her head on my leg and spoon feed her water, water that's cold and sweet, from an underground spring. Cooked chicken doesn't even interest her, but she's perked up at the vanilla ice cream I bought this morning just for her. Still, these are only my way of making her last hours here on earth as pleasant as possible.

Tib hasn't been with me long. Her pups, Tam, now 10 and Maggie, 8 yrs. old have been with me longer, since they were 8 week old pups. Tib came to me about 4 yrs. ago. I took her and immediately had a couple of nasty mammary tumors removed. She bounced back like a champ. The mammary tumors returned a year or two later.

I first laid eyes on Tib when I went to look at a pup of hers. I watched as she was asked to leave her pups and round up some sheep. Leaving the warmth of her nest, leaving her three week old pups, I watched as this dog followed her master's orders, teats full of milk, and went out into the cold evening to gather up the sheep. I watched as Tib knew the task was completed. I watched as she momentarily waited for the next task asked of her, and I watched her hurry back to her babies when she was told "That'll do".

That's Tib. Never question and always do her best. Even as a senior, hearing almost gone, eyes not seeing too well anymore, I once asked her to round up some sheep. If she didn't want to, we would have immediately walked out of that pasture. But refusal is not in Tib and the old girl went to work. I guess I did it to satisfy that ancient need inside a border collie to work, and although it was no big shakes, what we did that day, Tib was happy.

So this is my promise to you, Tib. This afternoon, when you cross the Bridge, I promise you will never ever again have to work ewes with newborn lambs, ewes who are hell bent on maiming anything that dares come near their babies. Only easy sheep this time, Tibbie. I promise you forever, a kennel with hay, sweet hay that you can bury yourself in and sleep. I promise you forever, lying at the feet of the Good Shepherd, who knows that He has gotten one heck of a border collie in you. I promise you Tib, Breyers Vanilla ice cream, and water, sweet and fresh from an ever flowing spring. I promise you no more pesky pups, and only when you feel like playing with them, and most of all, I promise you no more pain. You deserve no less sweetheart, and you certainly deserve more.

So when I hold you for the last time in a couple of hours, I'll make sure you know that your job here is done, that it's OK to go, and I'll make sure you know how well loved you were, as I hold you and your gentle spirit leaves this world. And when you get to the Bridge, our Pete, Lena, Tattie and Dolly will be waiting. Celt will be there too. They've missed you, I know. And although I know you're being freed from a life of pain, my heart is breaking. I know there are others whose hearts are breaking right now.

I love you Tibbie girl.

That'll do.

Normally I would offer a poem at this time. But there is no way I can improve on the touching and eloquent eulogy that you have given, one that (as in the case of others) brought tears to my eyes for a loved one that I never even met.

Via con dios, little Tib. Pete, Lena, Tattie and Dolly are waiting for you.

That was so touching. I am so sorry what you have to do today. I am reading this with tears rolling down my cheeks. Good luck crossing the bridge Tib. There's a lot of good dogs waiting to play with you!!!

Dianne

P.S. Vicki I have been in your shoes too many times. I hope you do OK today.It's not easy even when you know it's the right thing to do.

Tibbie,

you were loved and will be very missed.

I remember HATING that your first US owner made you work tough ewes with new born lambs at their sides all the while knowing it was too hard for you.

No wonder you didn't want to work anymore.

Once you came to me, you learned to trust me and went back to work. You had so much heart,after all you'd been through, to trust again.

You made me happy . Such a big mouth you had. Such a rabble rouser you could be....waiting till I left the house and then getting all the dogs barking. The other dogs adored you for this.

You were the best eating dog I've ever known. Anything and everything were your two favorites.

My heart broke a little with your passing. You will always own a piece of it.

donna

Tib - putting a face with a name -- Tib, with the Marty Feldman eyes and Louis Armstrong voice, always prim, always proper, with a touch of imp in her:

Tibbie.jpg

0424fc15.jpg

Still a working girl at heart -- a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do:

ea251997.jpg

79a5bc0b.jpg

Tibbieworking.jpg

Almost 4 yrs. ago. The old biddies. Tib is on the left. To her right are Dolly and Tattie, both of whom died two weeks apart from each other, 4 months later, leaving only Tib. The old biddies are together now.

3biddies2.jpg

And remember that pup of Tib's I came to look at when I first saw her years ago? That was 11 yrs. ago. Tam:

He looks like his mom. Dad was a traditional B&W rough coat:

Tamherd1.jpg

Then 2 yrs. later - full sister to Tam -- breeding was repeated, Maggie:

closeup.jpg

Thanks everyone, for all your thoughts and sentiments. It went just as I envisioned it. Tib was ready to go and went peacefully, with me stroking her head and whispering in her ear all the things I wanted to tell her. I took her to my vet of several years, a drive of 75 miles one way (now that I’ve moved) but I wouldn’t have taken her to a stranger for this final ride of hers. My vet and her staff were kind and sympathetic and Tib was in familiar hands, almost like family in her final moments.

As hard as this was for me to decide to do, there was no other choice. Tib is at peace now. I remember AK Dog Doc often saying that the biggest regret most people have, is that they didn’t make the decision to euthanize their dog sooner. When I first read that, yes, it made a whole lot of sense intellectually. I wholeheartedly agreed. When the opportunity presented itself to put this into actual practice, when it came to Pete, my heart dog, “intellectual” went out the window. I was reduced to raw emotion and couldn’t let go of my dog. That still haunts me to this day, but it was also Pete’s last lesson for me. I learned a lot from that dog, but that might have been the most important lesson of all. Because of AK Dog Doc’s words (which is also my vet’s mantra) and Petey’s final lesson to this dumb human, Tib was euthanized when it was her time. No regrets. No more “what if’s”. Just the comfort of knowing that I did right by her.

I also thought that Tib is lucky that she did not die alone, on a chain, tied to a remote part of a yard somewhere, or euthanized as just another anonymous dog in a shelter, with strangers around her. She was with people who cared and loved her and shed a tear or two for her. I guess that’s more than a lot of dogs, or even some people have in their last moments.

Nancy, I saw your post on Minnie and went to respond. I’ve had a lot of computer problems since I moved out here and my computer went down before I could respond to your loss. I’m so sorry Nancy, but I think we can pretty much safely say that maybe Tib and Minnie have hit it off are both in the company of the other old biddies who have gone on before them, rolling in a green pasture in the warm sun. Sounds like heaven to me.

Vicki,

When you first posted about Tib, the picture that came to mind was the one of the golden girls. I remember that picture vividly. I am glad you posted it again. I have a special place in my heart for the elders. My Honey girl just turned 16 and is increasing more frail. I am cherishing every day knowing that our time is approaching.

Toni

I remember AK Dog Doc often saying that the biggest regret most people have, is that they didn’t make the decision to euthanize their dog sooner. When I first read that, yes, it made a whole lot of sense intellectually. I wholeheartedly agreed. When the opportunity presented itself to put this into actual practice, when it came to Pete, my heart dog, “intellectual” went out the window. I was reduced to raw emotion and couldn’t let go of my dog. That still haunts me to this day, but it was also Pete’s last lesson for me.

Yes, Vicki, that was a lesson I had learned the hard way as well, and the reason why I was detrmined to end Minnie's suffering.

I’m so sorry Nancy, but I think we can pretty much safely say that maybe Tib and Minnie have hit it off are both in the company of the other old biddies who have gone on before them, rolling in a green pasture in the warm sun. Sounds like heaven to me.

Me too. Their pain has mercifully ended, it is only our own we are left to contend with. Take care.

Sounds like Tib was very much loved and you did right by her. The decision is a hard one no matter their age. I've made the decision twice and both times it absolutely sucked but I can safely say I did it when it was their time. Be proud you learned when to make it and to do it.

Remember the good ole days.

Very, very sorry for your loss. She feels better now - you did your last duty as her owner. Hope you feel better soon, too.

:rolleyes:

ooky

+Odin (BC pup), Dr. Benway (ocicat), and Lobo (bengal)

I'm so sorry, Vicki. Thank you for your "rationale" about it - it is perfect, and should be added to the FAQs, or someplace that all of us can refer to, when "our time" (read: the dog's time) comes. Tib sounds like a wonderful dog. Yes, you have the pain now. But isn't that the way we'd always have it - I'll take the pain, and spare the dog?

diane