BC Boards

Frustration (LONG) (VENT)

Hi Everyone,

I am frustrated tonight. I had a friend call me yesterday morning and say she had a caught a BC young female on the busy road near our house. She had an elderly blind dog in her car that was a curmudgeon so she asked me if I could meet her and hold the dog for a day or so. I said sure and went and picked the dog up. What a sweetie. She had a tag from the local shelter. My friend had called them and told me they said that if they pick that dog up one more time, she will not be returned to the owner due to the numerous pick ups already. This dog was chasing cars on the busy road. Small border collie mix, about 25-30 pounds. She had mange around one eye. I thought her a pup but was told she is just over a year. Long story short, my friend wanted to keep her but felt we should call the shelter. I did that this morning. The shelter gave my number to the owner who promptly called me. I asked if her dog was in heat, (she acted like it) she said maybe. I said, why isn't she spayed? Is she a pup? No , we want to breed her to a purebred border collie. We have a list of 5 people that want her pups.

*SCREAM*

I am so frustrated. I talked to her, she came to my house, she said "well you have three border collies" in a snotty voice. I said they are all spayed and neutered. Please don't breed your dog. Told her a few reasons why. She promptly said thanks for getting my dog and left. My kids and I have been upset about this for part of today. I am venting here. Thank you for listening.

Caroline and Charlie and Luke and Peg.

I have spayed Peg, who is turning into a fine prospect and might have thrown good pups, because I know I don't want that responsibility.

Ugh. I know how you feel. I have had several people recently talk about breeding their dogs. Pet store dogs, BYB dogs, etc. Nothing remotely worth breeding, but they seem to think that is just part of dog ownership. I come off looking like a wench for not supporting their ideas and speaking out against it.

One was a distant uncle with a BYB Aussie. I finally convinced them to neuter the dog, thankfully and they have had it done.

My favorite was being asked if I would breed Zoey (my Sw*ff*d dog), since she is so cute and pretty. I replied, Sure, just think her pups could have IBS, eye sight problems, dental issues, allergies, and behavior problems, however, they would sure be adorable.

People never cease to amaze me. I know it frustrating when you feel helpless to stop something you feel is wrong.

You tried and did your best to educate the owner. Hopefully the pup survives, given her propensity to escape and chase cars :mad:

I can't stand people like that. Their ignorence is astounding. And it drives me CRAZY! I know how you feel. I would have been soooo tempted nto to even return the dog.

It has untreated mange. And they want to breed her sick?! (Not that she should be bred at all).

Is walking around possibly in heat.

Allowed to chase cars...etc.

That's why I fixed my dogs. I admit they wouldnt benefit the breed. I love them but let's face it. Their personalities are not at all the best ones to breed for. I can admit that. Plus I don't know the first thing about breeding and I wouldn't want the responsibility.

The first thing many folks ask when they meet Celt and Megan is, "Are they brother and sister" because "they look so much alike". When I say that they are not related, the next question is always, "Are you going to breed them?"

No wonder there's a companion animal overpopulation problem! People just don't get it.

Poor, poor dog...

That poor dog. If they breed her and she does have mange it will get much worse. I wonder if she would even survive :confused:

Five people want pups? Have they paid for them up front? If not I doubt any of those people will actually take one. Maybe you should send them a list of all the BCs and mixes on Petfinder looking for homes.

Well, just a thought... given that the owner is neglectful enough to have the dog repeatedly picked up by animal control, it seems kind of likely that it's just a matter of time before she's picked up by them again. Since animal control will then refuse to return her to the original owner, maybe you could leave them your number and a request that you be called when the dog is returned to the shelter for wandering.

If the owners are so ignorant they don't know if the dog is in heat, and so neglectful that they let her run like that (particularly without regard as to whether or not she's in heat, since that is just BEGGING for trouble), they have ZERO biz owning a dog, and even less biz breeding one... and I can only imagine the quality of the homes that they have lined up, if these are all friends of theirs. Brrr. Ugh. If she IS in heat, how much do you want to bet that their plans to breed her to "a purebred BC" are already up in smoke due to an accidental breeding with whatever dog she's encountered on her meanderings? GRR. I really hope the dog IS picked up by animal control again; that sounds like it'd be her best shot at having a decent life. Poor little thing.

I just went through a similar experience. My nephew was over (with his family, my IL's) for Christmas with his six week old yellow lab. They kept making comments on how I should keep Toby away from her because they wanted pure bred puppies from her. I asked what they meant and my BIL says that they want her to have one litter because they hear it is good for her and because they are so darn cute. I told him just what I thought about that (I am not very popular with my IL's). I can't believe people can be so stupid but it really is just a matter of them not educating themselves about dogs. I hope what I told them at least makes them look into it further and hopefully change their minds.

The other thing that really ticked me off (and I guess I was just being a proud momma) was that Toby was sooooo good with that puppy, he would lay right down and let her jump all over him and everyone kept saying how this little six week old puppy was kicking Toby's butt and really what he was doing was being a well mannered dog.

Thank you all for understanding. The shelter is going to talk to the person who owns this dog. If the dog is picked up again, she will not be released to the owner and I will be called. If I or several of my friends in the neighborhood see the dog, we are taking her to the shelter.

Let us all hug our beloved 4 legged friends.

Caroline