BC Boards

Buzz and Chemotherapy -

I take him to the clinic in little while, wait around while they do a quick blood panel to make sure that he's still fit for chemo, then leave him for a few hrs. If all goes well, he'll come home around mid afternoon.

This is the hard part. The amputation was scary and worrisome, but it had a concrete outcome and I dealt with it pretty well. Getting through this with him is much harder. He gets a total of 4 treatments, 3 weeks apart.

More mojo, please. I've got a busy morning, thank whoever is up there, because I'd be nuts pretty darn quick.

Ruth

Mojo here too! If it helps at all, dogs usually come through chemotherapy way better than humans do. A friend of mine just put a dog through chemo and radiation and said that he never really noticed any aftereffects from the treatments. I hope that Buzz has the same great luck!

J.

Good luck to you and Buzz ;-) and as Julie said, dogs seem to fair better with Chemo. than people. I had a Border Collie that had chemo. and for the most part he did quite well on it. You will notice though that about the 2nd day after the treatment, that he will lose his appetite, so don't be surprised or alarmed. They will probably give you some anti-nausea meds as well as an appetite stimulant. I didn't want my boy to lose any more weight, so I had all kinds of food on hand to tempt him with, baby food and grilled cheese sandwhiches would usually get him ;-) and he developed a real taste for pumpkin seed flat bread ;-) Good luck with your boy, good thoughts headed your way.

Betty

Buzz is a tiny bit lethargic this morning, but ate a normal breakfast and had a short fetch session at the park before that. It's also been in the high 90's, with just a s**t load of smoke in the air from all the fires, so it might be the heat, etc, in addition to the chemo.

He was short tempered when we brought him home yesterday, his cat was trying to cuddle up to him, and he was lifting his lip to her, which he has never ever done. I figured he was anxious from being left at the vet for the 4th time in 5 weeks, so I shooed the feline units out of the room, closed the door, and we all had a little nap. Much improved our collective outlooks.

We'll post another update tomorrow a.m. Thanks to EVERYONE for the kind thoughts and board mojo!

Ruth n the BC3

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Buzz. I can't even think of how hard that is for you. I have a dear friend that went through the same thing. She was really great about it and never gave up, but it was still hard. Remember we are all here for you!

Hey Ruth- So sorry to hear what your Buzz boy is going through.... been away from the boards for a while and just saw this, and want to add my good Mojo to you all. It's been tough just doing the normal stuff with the smoke and now this #%&*!@ heat, so hang in there, and know we are all pulling for you.