BC Boards

runny nose

I am going to sound like a paranoid ma but...Curly doesn't seem to feel good and his nose is runny---clear. I just wonder if it's signs of a fever or something. He does get very overheated in the summer, even with a little exercise-which he barely did today. This am he wouldn't eat breakfast either. He ate some biscuits and some cheese but refused kibble which is his usual. He's alert but seems a bit depressed too. He's had this runny nose before and is a very moody guy-don't know if the 2 are related. Anyway just wondered if anyone else has seen this in their dogs and what you've heard it is. I googled it but couldn't find much that I felt was solid. If I call the vet to say, Curly has a runny nose....they will come in the white van and fancy jacket.

thanks

Kim

Not eating is never a good sign--unless the particular dog has a habit of occasionally skipping meals. If my dog didn't feel like eating I would be worried. A runny nose can be a sign of a kennel cough type deal. My dog had a bit of a runny nose accompanying his upper respiratory crud when he came home from the shelter. Maybe watch him for another day or so and if he doesn't get better on his own take him in.

I agree that not eating is never a great thing. As for the runny nose, I don't know. I haven't seen very many sick dogs to begin with, so I can't help you there. But I'd give it another day to see if his mood improves....

I will add though, Daisy does get an extremely wet, drippy nose when it's hot and she's trying to sniff something out...usually when we are outstide. Occasionally we will hit the mid 30's and I don't think she's used to it, she will actually drool on us too if we don't watch out!

Keep an eye on him certainly and if he will not eat you may have a problem. Take his temp, I do this with one of my dogs every time I feel he is not up to speed. He has a track record for high temps. Having said that it is very common for my dogs to have a runny nose for no apparent reason. One of my guys has the drips almost daily. At first I was concerned and even took them for another Vet bill but it turned out to be nothing but another Vet bill. In some cases I expect they have the same reaction to pollen or whatever as we do. They are like kids. One minute they are throwing up everything they have eaten for days and the next they are playing as hard as they can. You almost never know but you are always wise to check.

Seems he's just fine. He ate his past 3 meals and no more runny nose but still kind of depressed. Now I am anthropomorphizing (you know what I mean) but I am wondering if the heat bums him out. Lately he's been the one to run to the door to come in form playing and he always goes and lays on the register for the AC to blow on his front paws and head. He has always "ran hot". Unfortunately you cannot get anywhere near him to get his temperature. As soon as you get back around his hind he moves it away and if you restrain him he turns into a wild horse and will hurt himself to get away before he'll let you restrain him-even with sedation (alprazalom). Think the first vet I took him too may have caused that. We took him to get his nails trimmed (didn't know how to do it back then) and they muzzled him, 3 people pinned him, and he started frothing and his eyes were bugging out and then he became still. The vet said they had to "break his spirit". uhg.

Anyway thanks for being there to keep me calm.

Kim and Curl

Keep an eye on him certainly and if he will not eat you may have a problem. Take his temp, I do this with one of my dogs every time I feel he is not up to speed. He has a track record for high temps. Having said that it is very common for my dogs to have a runny nose for no apparent reason. One of my guys has the drips almost daily. At first I was concerned and even took them for another Vet bill but it turned out to be nothing but another Vet bill. In some cases I expect they have the same reaction to pollen or whatever as we do. They are like kids. One minute they are throwing up everything they have eaten for days and the next they are playing as hard as they can. You almost never know but you are always wise to check.

Seems like everytime the weather changes or there's a high pollen count Libby and/or Justice will end up with a runny nose, and a slight fever (just like little babies!).

I was concerned at first, too. But my vet simply told me to give them children's benadryl.

If it happens again, I'd call the vet--ask if you can treat it with Benadryl and what the appropriate dosage will be. Libby at 44 pounds gets slightly less than half the dose we give big boy Justice (100+ pounds). My cats have also been treated with extremely low dosages of Benadryl with colds as well.

But first and foremost, call your vet! Just to be sure.