BC Boards

My puppy hate to be brush any suggestions

Hi everyone,

my BC puppy hate to be brushed, i have a slicker brush, and i go very gentle, but she really hates it, she runs away from me and she growls and nips. any suggestions on how to make her like to be brushed.

thanks everyone, I am glad i found this site.

Joe

in my experience, most dogs hate slicker brushes, and its no wonder, they don't feel that good!!! they HURT!!!

I would try rubber one, I can't remember for the life of me what they are called. I will go look. but its like a horse grooming brush.

or pretty mush anything but a slicker :rolleyes:

ETA:

This brush or something like it. they work wel and they don't hurt, and after your puppy gets used to a brushing, I would (personally did) go to a Furminator!

My dog hates the slicker brush as well... she gets really scared of it. The Zoom Groom that KONG makes is a great tool (extra great if you have horses too!) but I agree with grinning.girl... the FURminator is hands down the best choice, IMO. A little pricey, but WELL worth it... you can find them on Ebay pretty easily too.

Funny I should see this post. I just got done brushing Scooter. He's very patient, but he hates having his tail brushed! Any suggestions? I bought a slicker brush when we first got him, but don't use it any more. I have found the perfect use for it though--I use it to get the dog hair off the carpeted stairs. Works wonders! Picks up hair better than any sweeper and also lifts the pile! Leaves the stairs looking well groomed! LOL! :rolleyes:

I bought a FURminator and tried to use it on my girl but she hates that more than regular brushing. The closest thing to what it does (i think) is a rake. Gets out the undercoat and any tangles or snarls as well. Maybe try training her to not be scared of the brush, like clicker training. Just shape the behavior you want and treat a lot? That's kinda what I do. I'll hold onto a treat and she'll try to get at it and I can brush away.

I was thinking of investing in the FURminator. I have a friend that likes it but another that says her vet told her not to use it (b/c it's like shaving the dog). Opinions on the furminator? It does seem to get hair out of nowhere.

Like I said before, I think the FURminator is the best... I've had friends use it and I've seen it in many vets' offices, so there must be quite a few who are advocating it. I use it on Jade and it works well- it also works WONDERS on my cat so if anyone has a cat too it's twice as nice of an investment. It gets the dead hairs in the undercoat out and leaves the rest of the coat feeling nice and shiny!

The thing about the Furminator is you can use it too much to the point that the coat becomes too thin. I personally wouldn't use one on puppy fur quite honestly. It can also scrape the dog's skin if you use it too enthusiastically. I see the Furminator as something to use when the dog is heavily shedding and regular tools aren't cutting it.

Not sure on how old the OP's puppy is, but for my young ones, I start with very brief grooming sessions and use treats for cooperative behavior. When they are small enough I groom them on my lap so there are lots of pets as well as grooming. Quinn (who threw tantrums the first few times he was groomed) used to fall asleep while being groomed this way. I also use a wide tooth comb with puppies more than any brush. I use the slicker to "finish up" after I've gone over my dogs with a rake (or the Furminator).

On a slight tangent, a good tip for getting the puppy used to you handling her feet, is to gently hold them but be sure not to let go if she is pulling. You don't want her to practice pulling her paws away from you as you're trying to trim nails. I also use treats to reward puppies while I trim their nails and do it very frequently since puppy toenails seem to grow so quickly. Plus that way I can be very conservative about cutting and avoiding the quick.

Thats rather strange what you guys have all said as the only brush Delta will allow me to use is the slicker :D She actually pushes Charlie out of the way if I run it over his back and she will come running over whenever I pick it up and nudge my legs until I use it on her :rolleyes: I use it whenever I take her somewhere thats completely out of her comfort zone (eg. Crowded pet expo) as it calms her down while she takes in her surroundings.

I spent most of Delta's puppyhood trying to get her to allow me to groom her. No amount of food would work with her, she used to snap at me the whole time. Then I discovered the slicker and so began the love affair :D

Once her coat really started to grow and she was shedding I bought a furminator. Delta absolutely HATES it, she wont let it anywhere near her without a fuss. I used to still persevere with it until someone recommended a Mars Coat King. Not sure if they are just an Australian thing but I had to order it online. Its more like a rake with blades on one side, it works so much better than the furminator (it pulls out so much dead coat each time and it doesnt cut her hair like the furminator). Whats better? Delta is happy enough to stand there for a long time while I use it (so long as I give a few brushes with the slicker every few minutes :D ) The first session I managed to get 3 kitchen bins worth of hair off her without a single complaint. It would have taken much longer if Id used the furminator.

Now I just need to find something she will allow me to use on her tail and the back of her hind legs. I go through so many dog biscuits (she will stand there and allow me to brush if she has a biscuit) as I can only get 1 or 2 strokes done before she finishes eating.

Now I just need to find something she will allow me to use on her tail and the back of her hind legs. I go through so many dog biscuits (she will stand there and allow me to brush if she has a biscuit) as I can only get 1 or 2 strokes done before she finishes eating.

Let me know if you find something. Senneca -- like most dogs, I think -- hates me to brush her britches and even worse, her tail. I use a pin brush and she enjoys grooming until I get to her rear. Then she suddenly finds it very important to sniff in the far corner of the room.