BC Boards

How "AFFECTIONATE" is your border?

Do you feel that you can influence them if you cuddle a lot when they are puppies ...or is it totally character ?????

It's their own character. I've had all 7 of mine from the time they were young puppies, raised them the same way and each has turned out a little different. For instance Rain and Storm are full siblings and she is the world's greatest cuddler and he never liked to. In fact he even went through a stage as a puppy where he'd growl if I tried to cuddle him. If he growled I'd have to see it through and remind him that I'm the boss and I'll pet/cuddle/handle/whatever him if I want to. He always seemed uncomfortable with too much cuddling though so I'd try to remember that and not put him in the position where I had to force him to endure it. Sometimes he was just too cute though and I'd start to cuddle without first thinking. My mistake, he's just a more reserved dog and only tolerates it, he doesn't enjoy it. He does like getting his head and back rubbed or scratched, just not the hugs etc. His sister Rain will take all the loving I can dish out. They're all a little different.

Little Koda is the ultimate snuggle bug. He loves attention from everyone in the family but I am his favorite person and he seeks out my attention constantly. He doesnt care how he gets affection from me so long as he gets it. He follows me everywhere and if I stop he is right there glued to my side wanting to be held. This little bugger is 8 months old now and still loves to be picked up and hugged. My wife constantly remarks, "that dog is just totally up your butt" and she is right....and I like it that way. I love getting up in the morning, kneeling down and having him put his paws on my shoulders with his head in my neck while getting slow gentle kisses. However, if there is a frisbee in sight dont ask him for affection. He will duck your hand at every attempt without ever breaking his stare for a second. Priorities I guess :rolleyes:

Zak is a bit more reserved and just reserved in general. Since adopting him he has really opened up though and just loves attention. He likes a quick scratch from my family but wont stick around for more than 10 seconds or so. With me its a different story. He has learned what affection is and is eating it up when it comes to me. Such a gentle giant that will push me over with leaning his weight into me and his head in my neck. He has also really found out that he loves my lap with huge hugs and scratches and it matters not what size chair Im in. Hes a 50 lbs lap dog and I love it.

Ryan