BC Boards

Thats not a border collie!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh, yeah.. Ouzo the girl - it's a classic by now. He's always a "she" until he lifts his leg higher than his head and pees on anything pee-able, then they tend to believe me he's a boy. People seem to be a bit disappointed once they find out he's a boy :rolleyes:

Yeah, everyone thinks Odin is a girl, including my parents who should know better. And everyone thinks my brother's pittie mix is a boy (including my parents, who should know better). He was neutered early though, and has a very feminine-looking face.

Also, most people don't know what he is, even though he's got about the most classic, almost comformation-type markings you could want (although not much coat and flying nun ears). However, just the other night a chlid of no more than 5 shouted across the street at us, "BAA RAM EWE!!!" So some people aren't clueless :rolleyes:

Bess gets called a he all the time.. I wonder if it is because people see the dog is with a woman so it must be a male???

Obviously that's not the case - given how many of us have just said our male dogs are mistaken for females all the time :rolleyes:

My mom, who is decidedly NOT a dog person, has this bizarre inability to mentally assign gender to animals. When referring to any of my dogs (permanent or foster) she just uses whichever pronoun pops out. Like, "Daisy's so well-behaved. You have clearly been working hard with him."

Obviously that's not the case - given how many of us have just said our male dogs are mistaken for females all the time :rolleyes:

I suspect in my case, I may come across as someone that would have a male. And Nyx is a wee bit muscular, but she's just got a pretty girl face. Not sure how anyone can get it mixed up. First time I saw a pic of her, I knew she was a girl!!

I suspect in my case, I may come across as someone that would have a male. And Nyx is a wee bit muscular, but she's just got a pretty girl face. Not sure how anyone can get it mixed up. First time I saw a pic of her, I knew she was a girl!!

I have a cat named Nyx. Nice name! Is she black? (My Nyxer is.)

Zephyr is almost always mistaken for female. (After two years our next door neighbor still can't get it right.) And I've lost count of how many times I've been asked if he was Zin's mom.

160410.jpg

To me he's such a goofy boy, so I just can't see what other people are seeing in him.

My mom, who is decidedly NOT a dog person, has this bizarre inability to mentally assign gender to animals.

AhhHaa

So that's my Mom's problem! I have dogs that are over 10 and she only gets one right. Jazz will always be a girl for my Mom but she was with me when I first got her so I figure she's a bit more bonded to her. But the rest can switch genders in the same conservation. All my dogs look like the gender they are. Or at least have never been mistaken for the other gender.

Now Mick gets accused of being lots of different breeds but I think it's cause he's mostly black. But people always get his gender right.

At least my Mom gets her grandkids gender right....most of the time! :rolleyes:

oh the Spanial thing reminds me of Shadow! she was a Sheltie X BC the first vet we took her too, told us she was a Cocker Spanial.

this is Shadow

1b1d70bc.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

yes, clearly she is a Cocker Spanial lol. I mean seriously? most random people off the street could see she was a Sheltie X BC lol. ya..we switched vets!