BC Boards

Thats not a border collie!

This weekend I had to really convince people this dog was a border collie:

sar.jpg

Apparently 'he is too slick looking to be a border collie'. Whatever that means (I assume it means he has short hair). I finally asked the owner in front of my friends and yep, he's a bc. So then they believed me. :rolleyes: One of my other friends has a rescue dog that I swear has to be a smooth bc. He just screams it to me in mannerisms and look. She thinks he's an ACD mix because he's smooth and I still have yet to convince her that he might be a border collie.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get asked all the time what Kit is. She's a shelter rescue, so I can't say anything for sure, but my best guess is BC x pointer. Most people will say that they see the pointer in her, but they often question the BC part. I think they're thrown off because she's a smooth coat who is mostly white with big cow spots of brown ("red") and no black - what you might expect to see in a pointer. Of course, her eyes, herding instinct, OCD tendencies, and intelligence aren't as plainly obvious to those who don't know her. To me her personality screams BC and the pointer is what I'm unsure of. What makes me think pointer is that she has freckles in her undercoat, the coloration of a pointer, webbed toes, the nose and appetite of a hound, a really long tail, and once in a while I will catch her pointing at something.

post-10433-1254106761_thumb.jpg

Beautiful dogs, Michele! I especially love the shot of the two on the bed; they look so cozy, heh, heh.

Mary and Raleigh

Thanks Mary -

If I remember correctly, there was no room on the bed for me that nite :rolleyes:

I love seeing all the pictures and reading the funny stories on this thread!

Michele

& Gypsy

& Chase

Um, a lady asked me if Vala was a fox just the other day... She was in sniff mode, we were walking, and I was standing there going "no stalking, sit Vala" after she got a whiff of what was probably a squirrel trail. And then this lady appears in her yard and asks if that was a fox I was walking. Seriously. (And of course at that moment Vala switched immediately from stalk- to pet-me mode and went into her routine, making it fairly easy to convince the lady that I was in fact not walking a fox but a BC.)

Also we introduced her to my husband's family the other weekend and my sister-in-law kept remarking about how much she looked like a fox and started calling her "Foxy lady." I think it's the lithe build and the way when she moves at faster-than-walk speed she kind of floats.

For reference purposes... :rolleyes:

post-9869-1254146497_thumb.jpg

Um, a lady asked me if Vala was a fox just the other day... She was in sniff mode, we were walking, and I was standing there going "no stalking, sit Vala" after she got a whiff of what was probably a squirrel trail. And then this lady appears in her yard and asks if that was a fox I was walking. Seriously. (And of course at that moment Vala switched immediately from stalk- to pet-me mode and went into her routine, making it fairly easy to convince the lady that I was in fact not walking a fox but a BC.)

Also we introduced her to my husband's family the other weekend and my sister-in-law kept remarking about how much she looked like a fox and started calling her "Foxy lady." I think it's the lithe build and the way when she moves at faster-than-walk speed she kind of floats.

For reference purposes... :D

Yes, everyone knows more than you. What you have there is a the unusual black and white fox not found to be native in your area. How can you not see that she is a fox in BC fur? It was just SOOO obvious to me :rolleyes::D

Tim

Hi, all,

I haven't posted in some time -- not since our beloved Travis the Trickless WonderDog crossed over to a better place in July. My last post was a big "Thank you" to all the caring folks who posted condolences to us.

I'm really glad to be back and will be posting more on our new BC from Glen Highland Farm (the wonderful BC rescue in New York State), but right now want to comment on the breed names people call our dogs. We've got a new one to report:

A few years ago, I was with Travis, waiting outside a hardware store while Al was cruising the aisles (it was a long wait).

An elderly gentleman came up to me and asked, "Is that a cheap dog?"

Somewhat miffed (I considered that question in the same category as asking someone what is your annual salary?), I replied carefully, "Well, he wasn't exactly cheap; he cost a few dollars."

The old fellow nodded knowingly, and replied, "Yep, he's a cheap dog, alright; on TV, I seen them dogs herding cheap."

I felt pretty stupid standing there with my newly christened "Cheap-dog" breed.

~~ Mary NH

That's really funny!! And, welcome back. :rolleyes:

I ALWAYS get "are you sure he doesn't have some Burmese in him?"

First of all, it's "Bernese". Second of all, no.

I'm polite about it, though. I didn't realize how few people have seen a tri-colour BC before. I've had a few friends try to tell me I got gypped when I show them Finn's dad. He's a smooth coat and on the stockier side, and one friend had the gall to say "he's definitely got lab in him... you don't have a purebred." ooooooooo rly.

It can be aggravating, but then you get people who get all excited to see a tri BC who make it all worthwhile. :rolleyes:

When I first took Taz to the vet the vet took one look at her and said she believed she was a springer mix. I don;t think she looks anything like a springer, but I did get her from a shelter so I really don't know what she is. She acts more like an English Shepherd than anything else. I constantly have people insist to me that Brew is a pitbull. I have his papers, so even though he came from a shelter I do know for a fact that he is purebred.

Taz

P3220019.jpg

P7280054-1.jpg

Brew

P3220025.jpg

P6282798.jpg

Because I have a puppy, I constantly get, "Is that a border collie?" *confused expression because of his tri markings* when I say yes, they reply with, "Wow you really don't know what you got into... those dogs will tear your house apart. Smart dogs, but they have a looooot of energy." Yeah maybe bored ones that aren't exercised tear houses apart. Do they think I just got a dog without researching the breed? It's sad because it just goes to show how many people out there do get BCs without researching the breed. It drives me nuts. I think it will go away as he gets older, but for now I want to scream, 'I know damnit!!!' I guess at least its good people recognize how high drive BCs are.

For reference purposes... :rolleyes:

====================================

Hi, Mary,

When I showed my husband your photo of Vala, he did a double-take. She looks SO much like our late Travis -- same build, same coat, and same face -- Travis had a smaller stripe between his eyes, but he had the same white by the nose, and the same ears. He also was what we used to call "BT" as in "Barely Tri." If you didn't look closely, you wouldn't see the wee bit of tan eyebrows and wee bit of tan sideburns, and the wee bit of tan tracing down his legs.

We also used to call him "Foxy-face" -- I love that look, but I also love the looks of all BCs.

I wish you all the best with your new dog. Pan (as Travis did), left so you could give your home and love to a deserving dog who was waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Mary and "Raleigh Wood"

That's really funny!! And, welcome back. :rolleyes:

===============

Thanks, BC4Ever! I'm very happy to be here again. We cried a river over Travis, but we know he's in a better place after more than 15 years of making us happy. Now it's time for us to return his gift to us and help another BC enjoy life. Raleigh is making slow progress with his shyness and fear, but it's progress that we celebrate, nevertheless. I could do you-know-what to the evil person who brutalized this sweet dog and caused him to withdraw from life.

Mary and "Raleigh Wood"

Went to a meeting last night to meetup with working dogs and dog experts to hear the guest speaker the famous animal behaviorist Dr. I_have_an_unpronounceable_name Bs, Ms, PhD LLB and DRG.

Talking to him he says Jin's not a pure BC. I now have it on good authority that Jin's a cattle dog, aussie, something else mix. He's too long in the leg and body and stands too tall, weighs too much. He's too big, coats is too smooth and slick while BC's are hairy and fuzzy looking and they don't get mixed eyes like that brn/blu. His markings are not typical of a BC, split face like that is most unusual. Ears should be pricked or tuliped. While he's smart he seems to be OCD and BCs are not OCD.

"What about his eye?" sez I

I don't see anything wrong with his eyes except color and that indicates the possibility of hearing or vision problems in the future.

Not eyes "eye" I retort.

Puzzlement in the face of the guest speaker Dr I_have_an_unprobnouncable Bs, Ms, PhD LLB and DrG. "What do you mean eye?

I left.

Most people don't have any problem recognizing Duncan for a Border collie, though some ask me whether he's a BC mix. Very different from my first and second BCs, acquired before "Babe" or dog sports became popular. Then I was constantly explaining what sort of dog they were. (I'd also had two dogs that I referred to as "Borderline" collies - they were sold to us as Border collies but I think they were more likely English shepherds if they were anything - no "eye" whatsoever).

My best "mistaken identity" stories involve species other than canines. A friend was out with her three young children, aged approximately two to nine. Admittedly, they're cherubic in appearance - long blonde hair and fine features. A woman approached her and exclaimed over her three gorgeous daughters. "Um, actually, they're all boys," my friend said. "No they're not," the woman said, "they're girls". "I'm their mother; they're boys". "No, they're girls!". Finally my friend said "I've changed all their diapers many times. The last time I looked they were all boys". The woman seemed quite aggrieved.

Then there was the time my parents had just moved to London, and some friends came to visit them with their hunting dog and their Jacob's sheep in tow. (The sheep, Agnes, thought she was a dog, so travelled everywhere with them). The two pets spent the night happily in my parents' garden. The next day one of their new neighbors politely rapped on the door. He spent a while introducing himself, then very delicately brought up the question at hand: what sort of animal was that in their garden? It wasn't a lion, by any chance, was it? And were they intending to keep it?

Now, I know a Jacob's sheep is not your everyday sheep in appearance (see http://dwellingintheword.files.wordpress.c.../jacobsheep.jpg for an example), but honestly - a lion???

- Lynn

Rip gets mistaken for an Aussie a lot, even though he has a great long tail (i know some aussies have tails). I think it's his ticking that especially throws people off -- they mistake it for merling. Ticking does occur in Aussies too but is much, much rarer.

Lady at the pet store says "oh, I used to have one of THOSE!"

I said "THOSE?"

She said "An Aussie" to which I replied, he's a border collie, and she says "Really? I've never seen a brown border collie!"

And actually, he was even listed as an Aussie at the shelter I adopted him from. I had heard there was a nice border collie there from a shelter volunteer, and went to visit him. I asked the girl at the desk if I could see the red border collie. I was met with a blank stare. I had seen a photo of him, so I asked if there were any aussies there and was told there was a "brown Australian Shepherd." Granted, his coat was thick and orange because it was winter and he was obviously kept outdoors, which gave him quite a stocky appearance, even on his legs. But the shelter worker also said Aussie rescue visited him and said he was a purebred Aussie! When I first brought him home, I also thought he might have been mixed with Aussie. But now, even though he doesn't have papers and I don't know for sure where he came from, I have no doubt he is 100% border collie.

And 100% border collie he is!

Now, I know a Jacob's sheep is not your everyday sheep in appearance (see http://dwellingintheword.files.wordpress.c.../jacobsheep.jpg for an example), but honestly - a lion???

- Lynn

This made me laugh out loud. The sheep that thought she was a dog, that the neighbors thought was a lion.

I do sympathize with the neighbors a bit though. I can't imagine seeing that in my neighbor's garden! What a funny story!

Hi, Mary,

When I showed my husband your photo of Vala, he did a double-take. She looks SO much like our late Travis -- same build, same coat, and same face -- Travis had a smaller stripe between his eyes, but he had the same white by the nose, and the same ears. He also was what we used to call "BT" as in "Barely Tri." If you didn't look closely, you wouldn't see the wee bit of tan eyebrows and wee bit of tan sideburns, and the wee bit of tan tracing down his legs.

We also used to call him "Foxy-face" -- I love that look, but I also love the looks of all BCs.

I wish you all the best with your new dog. Pan (as Travis did), left so you could give your home and love to a deserving dog who was waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Mary and "Raleigh Wood"

Vala has some reddish brown markings on her as well - barely noticeable - as well as some ticking on her nose and legs. So she could be described as BT too!

Travis sounds wonderful, and quite beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words about Pan. I still think about her daily, especially every time Vala *doesn't* avoid sewage grates (Pan had this crazy paranoia of them, like her feet were too big to fall through the ones in our neighborhood, but she got her foot stuck in one for a second as a puppy and never forgot it). But Vala is such a good girl, such a joy to be around, and I am happy there was room at our house for her, so she could end her wait.

What you have there is an unusual black and white fox not found to be native in your area. How can you not see that she is a fox in BC fur? It was just SOOO obvious to me :rolleyes::D

Quick, let me change the microchip paperwork.

LOOKEE WHAT I FOUND ON WIKIPEDIA!

Now we know where Vala was before she was found in a south Louisiana field: Russia!

This made me laugh out loud. The sheep that thought she was a dog, that the neighbors thought was a lion.

I do sympathize with the neighbors a bit though. I can't imagine seeing that in my neighbor's garden! What a funny story!

You have to imagine one half of the conversation being carried out in a proper British accent for maximum effect. It's a testimonial to the politeness of the British populace, that he thought it might be a lion but was still inquiring oh-so-politely.

My parents still chuckle about it years later.

Yes, Agnes was convinced she was a dog. The friends got her as a lamb (and raised her with their retriever) as Edith liked to spin wool and weave fabric in natural hues; Jacobs' sheep (with "coats of many colors") posed advantages in not having to dye. Her husband hunted, and Agnes would do everything but actually fetch the birds that Stephen shot.

We're still not sure what led them to think she might have been a lion. Her "bleat" was no closer to being on the mark than her appearance.

Edith once wove us a lovely bag out of the sheddings of one of our "borderline" collies. The doubletake the cat did was priceless - "that's NOT the dog!!!" The nose knows...