BC Boards

Thats not a border collie!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious , but does this look like a BC to you ?

post-10634-1267048175_thumb.jpg

Ok , I have four BC and her , my little beagy , but someone came by and wanted to see the shepherds and I was out with my guys. The people asked iwhat kind of dogs are they , my husband answered BC , and figuring the people would recognize a Beagle . Well , wrong , they thought she was a BC puppy ! OMG ! :D:D:D:D No GSD puppy for them ! :rolleyes:

I was intubating a yellow Lab and when I pulled his tongue out it was 75% black (jet black, not blue). It looked like he had licked up a bunch of paint. I laughed, showed the tech and mentioned how tired I was of hearing that every dog with ANY color on its tongue is automatically a Chow cross. This was a walk in emergency so I didn't have his front sheet with breed, age, etc when I started on him. I couldn't help but laugh when the receptionist brought back his completed file and his owner had listed him as a Chow cross! This dog was as classic of an English show line Lab as they come. He could have won in the breed ring. I didn't have time to ask the owner, but I would bet they got him from a shelter.

ANY dog can have spots on their tongue. Doesn't mean a thing.

yep! but only chows and 'pei's have ALL black/purple tongues and mouths.

We got a dog at the shelter that I would have sworn was a pb black lab (maybe backyard bred) but he was a known mix between a lab and an chow (or something like that). I would have never guessed. Well, except he was aggressive, lol. (ETA: not that labs can't be aggressive, they can, it's just a little jaded shelter humor about chows.)

• 1 month later...

So, I have to add my experience from today to this list. Let me start by saying, when I go out with Daisy, oddly enough I am often asked right away if she is a border collie. However, sometimes because people think she is too small in size for a border collie, they will say oh she must be mixed with something, maybe sheltie....which makes what I am about to say weird and somewhat funny...

I was with Daisy at petsmart walking around. As I walked by a couple, they began looking at Daisy and the woman said that is a pretty dog. The man replied yes and then said that is a border collie...then a long pause...mixed with a german shepherd....I looked down at Daisy and said well Daisy that is a new one.

I think the man was trying to figure out why she has tan.......

This is the conversation I had at the dog park on Wednesday:

"What kind of dog is that?"

"Border Collie"

"He doesn't look like one. Do you have papers?"

"Yes."

"Did you shave him?"

"No."

"But where's all his hair?"

"He's a smooth coat."

"Oh."

This is my Ross, no one ever believes he is a Border Collie. Between his whiteness, his tri face and his perky pointy ears he has been called a Sheltie, a Terv mix, a Rough Collie Mix, a Dalmatian mix (that one was a ?? for me) and an "absolutely can't be a Border Collie, they don't look like that.

I have been asked several times when walking all 3 of my dogs together if he is the "mother" of my 2 Papillons.

rosscute.jpg

a0dda1f1.jpg

Dalmation mix? That's as bizarre as the couple times someone asked me if Mick was part pit bull.

Well, to be fair he has some very faint ticking on his white body that you cannot really see in those pics. I guess they figured and white dog with a hint of spots must be a Dalmatian. However, what made it very funny is at the time I actually owned a black and white Dal who was standing next to him...the 2 dogs looked nothing alike!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like anyone who knows BC'S could identify on just by watching them move. It's unique and I can spot one 400 yards away. Paint it blue and let me watch em move and I'll spot a BC every time.

Got a new one walking the dogs today...

"What kind of dog is your brown dog?"

"Pit bull"

"Oh yeah, she is...look at that head. The black & white one...is that a bull terrier mix?"

IMG_1120.jpg

Everybody, please observe the "bull terrier mix" on the right.

• 2 weeks later...