BC Boards

Training a B.C. to "Hold em"

Greetings!

I am curious how others train their border collies to "hold" livestock back or at a gate, when trying to feed grain, etc. Is it possible to teach this skill without the assistance of another person? Also, any suggestions on teaching the out command? I have tried getting between the dog and the sheep, and charging him. This works very well at a short distance where I can cut him off if he starts to close in. But the instant I move back about 50 yards from the sheep, he will inevitably cross over in front of me and take the opposite flank. It does not seem to matter which direction I send him from either.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings!

I am curious how others train their border collies to "hold" livestock back or at a gate, when trying to feed grain, etc. Is it possible to teach this skill without the assistance of another person? Also, any suggestions on teaching the out command? I have tried getting between the dog and the sheep, and charging him. This works very well at a short distance where I can cut him off if he starts to close in. But the instant I move back about 50 yards from the sheep, he will inevitably cross over in front of me and take the opposite flank. It does not seem to matter which direction I send him from either.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

When and how are you trying to use the "out" command? On the outrun?Let me know more so that I can help here.

As far as the first question goes, the easiest place to start is at a gate where the dog can stand or lie down and not let them through. The dog needs to know it can get up and hold them off if it needs to. You must have eyes in the back of your head when teaching this while feeding to help the dog hold the sheep out.

Vergil

When and how are you trying to use the "out" command? On the outrun?Let me know more so that I can help here.

As far as the first question goes, the easiest place to start is at a gate where the dog can stand or lie down and not let them through. The dog needs to know it can get up and hold them off if it needs to. You must have eyes in the back of your head when teaching this while feeding to help the dog hold the sheep out.

Vergil

Yes, I am using this command during the outrun. He will start off right (nice and wide), but as he approaches the sheep, he will often cross over and fetch them from the opposite flank. Sometimes he will dive right into the middle of the flock and single out just a few sheep. If I position myself between him and the sheep, I can prevent this from happening, but the instant I send him from my side, he will cut in on them again. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!

Yes, I am using this command during the outrun. He will start off right (nice and wide), but as he approaches the sheep, he will often cross over and fetch them from the opposite flank. Sometimes he will dive right into the middle of the flock and single out just a few sheep. If I position myself between him and the sheep, I can prevent this from happening, but the instant I send him from my side, he will cut in on them again. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!

OK - If your dog is crossing over, you are probably trying to outrun your dog too far. Shorten the outrun and force the dog away from you and the sheep. The minute he starts to cut in, lay him down and walk straight towards the sheep til you are even with him and push him back out. Don't run with him, if anything go in the opposite direction to help hold him out.

Good Luck -

Vergil