BC Boards

How Has Your Border Collie Changed Your Life?

I love to hear everyone's stories about their dogs!

I'll go first.

I laugh alot more now. I walk everyday, and have lost like 10 lbs!!

I'm a nicer person to be around according to friends & family. :rolleyes:

Other than that I have not changed my life much since I walk, hike, run, and spend time outside as much as I always did before. I got a dog who suited my lifestyle instead of getting a dog to force me to go outside.

Oh wait, my ability to throw a ball has definitely improved. I still throw like a girl, but the dogs don't care... :D

Our BC got my husband into Search and Rescue-Piper is a certified SAR dog.

Me...I'm like Allie above, I walked, hiked, etc before I got Piper and now that we have her she keeps me company on my outing's.

I still throw like a girl...thank goodness for the chuckit!

We started with one BC, now have 5. They have consumed our lives. We now have sheep, and will be moving to Northern Idaho next year, bought 20 acres with a great log home. No more wondering what we are going to do on the weekends, we are off to trials and lessons. We also never let dogs sleep in our beds, but now they do.

I could write a book on this question! Or at least a 50 page essay! But I'll sum up!

I throw balls more in one day than I ever did in my entire life pre-Border Collie.

I know what it's like to get run over by a sheep now. Or did I run over the sheep? Who knows?

I know two fun new terms - desensitization and counter-conditioning.

I now know how to train a dog to do many fun things including: basic obedience, Rally Obedience, basic agility, and some freestlye.

I now must have a dog that keeps me on my toes! No more couch potatoes!

Click-and-treat, click-and-treat, click-and treat

I have been trained well by a dog and that suits me.

My Border Collie has taught me more about patience and humility than anyone else - ever. At the same time, he has given me more joy than anyone else - ever.

I forgot to add that my husband actually lets our borders on the couches!! They seem to have softened him up..lol. (Don't they do that to us all?)

Also I have Fibromyalgia and probable MS. These dogs seem to have helped my health. I feel better and am much happier and calmer.

Plus training them is a real joy as they are more our mental equal than some other breeds!

What's changed? It would be easier to say what's stayed the same!

Basically she makes all the difference between just passing my time on earth and having someone to live for.

As for exercise, I'm actually more of a couch potato than I was before . No more need to walk endlessly trying to run away from myself or whatever you try to walk away from that way. No more need to turn to the mountains for company. I'm not less weird than before, but a lot more peaceful and happy, and it's harder to get off my butt now!

But I make myself get off it, of course, and now hiking, like everything else, is a lot more fun than it used to be.

I could go on. My list doesn't include sheep yet, but never say never!

I had been without a dog for about five years because I moved to Japan. After I came back, I got diagnosed with breast cancer and during my treatments, I realized that what I really wanted when I finished was a dog in my life before anything else happened. They told me that the cancer hadn't spread so I started reading LOTS of dog books and waited until I had a whole summer to spend with a new puppy. I named her Genki, which is Japanese for healthy, happy, and lively--my wish for both of us. Since then (last summer), I have taken Genki everywhere with me and we had a great winter snowshoeing and hiking. It's gotten me out a lot more since I used to spend too much time doing work on my computer. She has added so much to my life and even my partner, who was less than thrilled at the prospect of getting another dog, really loves her. I'm looking forward to finding new things to do with Genki this summer. (Also, reading Border Collie boards has been great--thanks to all of you!)

I'm not going to vet school - before Maggie I thought that was my calling, but now I love learning more about behavior in dogs, so I'm a senior in Animal Science now and looking into doing behavior counseling on the side when I get out of school.

Maggie has made me a more outgoing and proactive person - she's the reason I started a Campus Dog Owners' Group at my university and now I recruit people and lobby for all sorts of stuff.

I know that people in nursing homes or assisted living facilities can have some awesome storues to share - w/o Maggie I wouldn't be an active therapy dog handler, and thus I would never have met some of the people I visit every month.

I'm more patient - Maggie's issues forced me to take things step by step and learn that 'slow is fast' at times.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's all I can think of right now!

I've only had Meg for four months, but it was the day that I first met her that changed my life. She looked up at me from the litter and I saw the reflection of my long gone BC in her eyes. Meg is my touchstone and anchor, and with her I am home.

I know that a muddy dog still needs hugs.

My bed always has a "decoy" spread on it that is okay to be muddy.

3am is NOT too early for walking in the rain.

Few things are more important than playing.

Watching your goof ball be serious about sheep is worth celebrating.

Patience.

Humility.

Experiencing a dog that is truly devoted only to me.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

I've learned that no matter how tired you are when you come home from work, you still have energy to take the dog out for a walk and, miraculosly, by the time you both get home, you have much more energy than when you left

I've learned that it's normal to have green poopy bags stick out of every pocket and purse, just in case And that it's ok to explain to a business partner : I've got a puppy and wink

I've learned not to get too mad when I find clothes or make up item destroied and chewed up.

I've learned to laugh when the whole toilet paper roll is transformed into white snow in the living room

I've learned to get out of the way when Ouzo starts running like crazy in the livingroom.

I've learned to spend about 1 hr each day outside, talking long walks

I've learned that, as much as I hate waking up early in the morning, that I am ok with geting out of bed at 4 AM if "someone" is sitting next to me whining that he needs to go outside right THAT MINUTE.

I've learned to find it normal to find toys and bones and treats hidden under my pillow and blankets.

I'll add more later

I laugh my ass off several times a day at something "the boys" have done.

Going to the bathroom alone is now a distant memory.

Watching TV now involves a BC shaped blanket.

I no longer need to towel my legs dry after showering.

Cupboard doors, the toilet seat, drawers and the fridge need to be closed carefully, to avoid jamming a fuzzy head in them.

Many, many others....

Duncan (our first)=>

Agility

Agility + Herding

Starr (our second)

Herding only

A mini van

A pop-up camper

More Border Collies

A desire for more land

Sold our house to build a new house on several acres

Lived with a friend for about 1 year while building

Purchased a few sheep from friend

Lived in our pop-up in the garage of our new house (while building) from Thanksgiving till Christmas

Traded pop-up for 27' travel trailer

Traded mini van for full size cargo van

Stopped taking vacations that did not involve working the dogs

Had a litter of Border Collie pups (ony 2 survived)

Worked our way through the classes to Open

Took Renee and Rae to Nursery finals (Sturgis SD)

More Border Collies

Developed a desire for more sheep and land

Developed the desire to retire from science to become full time sheep farmer

Etc....

Mark