BC Boards

shipping pups

We shipped the little shih tzus from GA to WA on Delta. They did really well - very happy to be off the plane but they did great during the flight (or so we were told anyway).

Of course, if it is to much trouble, I would be happy to take any and all your pups off your hands. :rolleyes:

We just flew out to USDAA Finals on Delta. They are expensive but have a very extensive pet program. I was happy with them. They gave the dogs water when we arrived, and in Newark (which is a Delta hub) they even have a separate van to drive them out to the plane on.

Even when you fly with the dogs, they are sent as cargo though, so you need to go pick them up at their separate cargo location. . .

I used Delta with my dogs and I found their pet service to be very attentive. Having said that, I would probably look for the most direct route and have a good heart to heart with the cargo section. Northwest delivered a pup to me a few years ago and he was perfectly happy and well cared for. Ask for the pup to be hand carried/handled.

Maria

Of course, if you wanted to spend more money...

Because the pup would be small someone could fly WITH the pup and then you can just have the little doggie under your seat in a doggie carrier. But, that does mean someone has to go with...

I've been talking to airlines for the past couple weeks and so far Delta is my preference - they seem to make more effort to accomodate animals than the other airlines I've talked to. But, that's for flying in cabin with the pup. I'm not sure about shipping in cargo, although I've heard good things from other people about Continental.

Grace

We always fly on Alaska Airlines, and we fly a lot, though I've never shipped unaccompanied dogs. (I've gone on ad nauseum on this subject in the past if you'd care to search.) Alaska does fly out of Boston and a number of other East Coast cities these days. Anyway, don't tell TSA, but a while back I managed to get photos of the cargo hold where the dogs fly. It's dark, but pressurized and heated the same as the main cabin. You can see my 450 size crate (with red bones painted on it) behind the baggage handlers:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Duh!

I forgot - we flew out to AZ on Continental, not Delta. They are the ones that had the special van (it had pawprints on it that we could see from the Gate!). No problems with them at all.

my one pup flew in on Delta (DASH program), with a connecting flight :-( She was OK, but I was a bit concerned as they didn't list her on the cargo manifest or something - when I showed up to pick her up they said "Oh, she must have missed the connector in Atlanta" !!!! they were wrong, she was right on the dock waiting for me. She was OK, but I was a little miffed - what if I had turned around and left when they first told me that!!

Dixie Girl and I shipped McDreamy by Ushipit . He was picked up in a suburban coming from Texas in South Carolina. He arrived in Pa 28 hours later he took wonderful care we had his cell phone to check on him ...also he kept us up on his pick ups and drops along the way. He made him a bed on the front seat but Mick decided to ride in the back with the mans dog part way.

The cost was 200.00

Katie

I've used Continental twice and was very happy with it. The dogs go through their "QuickPak" service and are high priority. The puppy I shipped was kept in the airport terminal and loaded on the plane at the last minute. They advise the pilot of the puppy cargo (they said). She was then unloaded first thing at the other end and brought right into climate controlled terminal again.

I think you asked on another list about weather. The puppy was shipped in spring so there was no issue on either end. The young dog was shipped in January, so I believe the vet doing the health certificate had to make a note that the dog was acclimated to the temps or something like that.

ETA: The price comparison of Continental vs. several other airlines was favorable too. I was happy with both service and price.

For basic info on shipping animals by air, go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/pettravel.html - they have all the requirements for shipping and list the policies of various airlines.

You can also access the reports of pet injuries/deaths/loss for each airline as is now required by law via the TSA pages I believe.

OK from one who knows...I work Customs K9 at Houston Intercontinental...I work on the ramp.Continental is the way to go.Dogs are shipped Quickpack,which is guaranteed cargo...CO has employees whose sole job is to pickup/drop off,make sure connections are met...in the PETSAFE vans y'all have mentioned seeing...on any long layover (at least here,Houston is THE hub), dogs will be taken to an onsite kennel so that they can rest,"take a break" etc....Customs and Border Protection ships Continental and we have dogs flying all over the country,frequently!