BC Boards

fetch toward, against pressure

Hi Vergil

When I send my dog to fetch sheep bringing them away from pressure, she is a model canine sheepdog citizen- very good pace, just generally a comfy ride for sheep and dog.

When I send my dog to fetch sheep bringing them toward pressure- she is a tailgater- well, not as in too close, but that good pace is gone.

If she speeds up on the first scenario, it is very easy to remind her to slow down- but on the second, I have to do what you do on your description of downing for the OLF.

How do I address this?

Thanks so very much,

Julie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Vergil

When I send my dog to fetch sheep bringing them away from pressure, she is a model canine sheepdog citizen- very good pace, just generally a comfy ride for sheep and dog.

When I send my dog to fetch sheep bringing them toward pressure- she is a tailgater- well, not as in too close, but that good pace is gone.

If she speeds up on the first scenario, it is very easy to remind her to slow down- but on the second, I have to do what you do on your description of downing for the OLF.

How do I address this?

Thanks so very much,

Julie

IF she is not getting in too close, she is probably actually pacing, just at a faster pace since the sheep are headed to where they want to go! Do you have a slow down whistle or a steady command that she responds to? If so, then use it, but make it work. If you have to, stop her. Then tell her to stay out of that, or whatever command you use.

Good luck

Vergil