BC Boards

dog more advanced than owner

I have a 7-8 year old border collie (had him 6 years, got him from the animal shelter) who's got a great eye and good balance. He loves to work more than anything else in the world. We're city dwellers and have a farm close by where we can train approximately an hour or so a week, sometimes more working with several different trainers, each with different though complimentary styles. We've been at it for about 3 months. Between the two of us, I'm the one faced with a steep learning curve trying to learn how to work with him, and him with the sheep. I'm a 1 at best & he's more like a 6 (or better, for as much as I know) -- my fear is since I'm not very good at it, I'm somehow diminishing his experience or even worse, damaging his natural talent or confidence by being inconsistent or confusing in my manner & giving of commands. I'm enjoying my new hobby, we're having great days together and I haven't seen a decrease in his desire to work but is it irresponsible for me to be learning at his expense?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 7-8 year old border collie (had him 6 years, got him from the animal shelter) who's got a great eye and good balance. He loves to work more than anything else in the world. We're city dwellers and have a farm close by where we can train approximately an hour or so a week, sometimes more working with several different trainers, each with different though complimentary styles. We've been at it for about 3 months. Between the two of us, I'm the one faced with a steep learning curve trying to learn how to work with him, and him with the sheep. I'm a 1 at best & he's more like a 6 (or better, for as much as I know) -- my fear is since I'm not very good at it, I'm somehow diminishing his experience or even worse, damaging his natural talent or confidence by being inconsistent or confusing in my manner & giving of commands. I'm enjoying my new hobby, we're having great days together and I haven't seen a decrease in his desire to work but is it irresponsible for me to be learning at his expense?

Dogs are very forgiving so go for it! Your dog would show by a change in his attitude if there was any problem. Harsh drilling, too much pressure, getting the dog in over its head are much more likely to do damage.

Godd luck -

Vergil