BC Boards

so, is she done?

Jett is seven months old today (yay Jett!) and has been stalled out at 30 pounds for over a month now. She doesn't seem to have gotten any taller either. She has excellent muscle tone and body condition and is getting plenty to eat. She's about the same height as Fly but has much less bone -- Fly is a stout little thing with a broad chest and shorter legs. Jett's long-bodied and long-legged and rather dainty.

Is it possible this is as big as she's going to get? Or do pups commonly have a late growth spurt? She seems to be getting an adult coat now. Her face and mannerisms are still All Puppy though.

I expected Jett to be bigger, as her daddy is about 50 pounds and her mom is around 45. She's shaped just like her mom, except for being scaled down. It doesn't matter to me how big she ends up. She's always been one of the smallest in her litter.

2495867883_ceccd42602_o.jpg

I've heard a lot of people say that dogs don't get any taller once they reach about 8 months old, but that was not the case with Charlie. He continued to grow (taller) even after he turned a year old. He wasn't growing as quickly as he did when he was younger, but he definitely was still growing. I'm not sure at what point he finally stopped, but I just remember being surprised that he kept growing. He's pretty tall (24 inches at the withers) and weighs around 50-52 pounds, depending on time of year and how much exercise he's getting (and how accurate the scale is).

She is such a dainty girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't grow anymore, in all her pictures she looks all slim and trim! She's beautiful all the same, even if she rises up a few more inches!

EDIT: In previous observations, I've noticed that anywhere between 8-10 months they seem to stop growing and take on adult features.

DOUBLE EDIT: Hehe, woo for 7 months!

I have the same thoughts about Zac, he is much like Jett, starting to look more like an adult but still acts a lot like a puppy. I just weighed him, he is 14.4kg which is 31.68lbs if the converter chart worked. He is 19 inchs or there abouts. He doesn't seem to have grown for ages now, he will be 8 months on the 2nd of June so he is not that much older than Jett. He looks okay next to Holly but he looks a little lad still when he stands alone.

How tall is Jett.

Alex stalled out at the same weight for months, too. Somewhere around 7-8 months until about 12-13 months, I think it was. He's a wee one, though, and even when he did gain more, it was only about 6 lbs or so.

Jett is lovely!

I have no idea when Shelby actually stopped growing, but the really really slowed down at 7-8 months and over the past year has add a little height and and weight. she will be 2 in July

Well it's possible this could be it for her, as big as she'll get...but then again, that's what I thought about Misty. She ended up getting a little taller and put on more weight. I'm not real sure how tall she is, I haven't measured her, not sure how to, but she's probably about 40lbs. or more. Which is about 10lbs. heavier than she was at 7-8mos. So, she may still be growing. :rolleyes:

Ouzo reached his 23 inches in hight and 44 lb at 7 months. He is still at 44 lb now at 2.5 years - we got him on the scale at the vet about 1 week ago. Haven't measured him in a year, but I doubt anything has changed.

Double her weight at 16 weeks and that should be a pretty close estimate (within a few pounds) of her eventual adult weight. It doesn't work for fat puppies, but I know you kept her slim. They keep gaining height until about 18 months (but s l o w l y) and weight until 2 to 3 yrs old if kept intact.

Tempe was 2 yrs in October and weighs a whopping 29.5lbs. She stands about 19-22" or so and is fine boned (not sure of height since I have not measured but she is taller than my acd who is 18.5"). She stopped growing up at about 7 months. She has been filling out a little over the last couple months but has not gained much weight.

I posted on your photo thread, but I'll post here for posterity. River reached full height when measured at 7.5mos and only gained 2 lbs from that time nearly 2 years later. But all the agility orgs always make you have your dog remeasured after age 2, so some dogs much grow a bit more, but it might be very breed specific as well.

Ouzo reached his 23 inches in hight and 44 lb at 7 months. He is still at 44 lb now at 2.5 years - we got him on the scale at the vet about 1 week ago. Haven't measured him in a year, but I doubt anything has changed.

Bandit was 44 lbs for the first couple of years I've had him.(he was about one yr old when I adopted him) He started gaining weight and filling out more 3-4 months back.

I've had quite a few people recently comment , "that's a big Border collie"

He weighs 52 lbs now, and still gets plenty of excercise!

lance

Most of my females reached their height and length and about 7-8 months. Males took longer. Females were easier to train- MUCH easier!!! After about 7-8 months they get into the "gangly stage" - the height and length is right but they aren't quite filling into their bodies fast enough. - Females do much better- Male...............never again. Although, I do appreciate the bonding between male/owner (if she's a female) and female/male- there seems to be a more of a bonding- Usher is more "in tune" to me. Miss Lacey slept with her butt in my face- Goes to show you "who's boss". LOL.

Usher only "naps" with me. He puts one arm around me and waits until I'm asleep and goes to his chair- he sleeps in his crate at night.

oh- back on topic-

At 21 months, Usher isn't filled out yet. He still has a lot of "puppy" in him. People "guess" him at about a year and a half to 2. They are "dog people and pretty right on" They guess Bailey at about 4-5 and that's my guess too, but the vets.

Usher's weight is pretty much at about 42 pounds and about 20 inches. Good solid muscle. OTOH, Bailey is about 21 1/2 inches, maybe shorter- hard to tell with all that fat- she had lost another 2 pounds and is at 52 pounds - solid fat. LOL. Her coat is so improved and she is on canidane (sp) 1/2 a cup twice a day. Plus fish oil and her meds. Exercise. Lots of running and jumping, she can jump as high as my shoulders. I'm trying gang!!!

So, I think your pup is right on track- judging by how my others have grown. Keep up the good work!!

Dianne

hun i cant remember if you raw feed or not, but if you do...

in my experience raw fed pups grow slower, mine and my friend's puppers seemed to slowly slowly get taller till they were about 2ish. tikki didnt reach his full grown height till 2 and then filled out till he was about 3. i think brighid is done now and she will be 3 next month.

Bandit was 44 lbs for the first couple of years I've had him.(he was about one yr old when I adopted him) He started gaining weight and filling out more 3-4 months back.

I've had quite a few people recently comment , "that's a big Border collie"

He weighs 52 lbs now, and still gets plenty of excercise!

lance

Scooter is three years old and weighs about 52# (haven't measured him recently), and I too get the "That's a big Border Collie" thing. He gets plenty of exercise--he's not fat. But, we weren't too surprised by his eventual size--both parents were on site when we got him and Daddy was tall! That's the neat thing about Border Collies--lots of variety in size and color, but all breathtakingly beautiful. :rolleyes:

Z stalled out at 7 months as well and had a spurt between 10mo and a year - she grew at least 1.5" in the span of those later 2 months! At 14 mo she's 25lbs and approx 16 or 17" at the shoulder. Z was spayed at 9 months btw.