BC Boards

I'm currently waiting for the vet to come out & fix a rectal prolapse on a ewe who has been nothing but trouble this year as well as being on whelping watch, which has given me some time to sit at the computer and consider my summer plans.

I just entered my Mirk, in the Upper Midwest Stockdog Challenge (in Novice) which will be both of our first trial. Mirk is ready to start, but I just remembers there is an extremely strong exhaust pen draw at that trial and Mirk can get a bit stickly (wanting to stop & hold the sheep) when the woolies are truly trying to make a run for it. What should I be doing now to make sure Mirk & I are ready for that "Challenge"?

Thanks & I hope your day is going better then mine,

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently waiting for the vet to come out & fix a rectal prolapse on a ewe who has been nothing but trouble this year as well as being on whelping watch, which has given me some time to sit at the computer and consider my summer plans.

I just entered my Mirk, in the Upper Midwest Stockdog Challenge (in Novice) which will be both of our first trial. Mirk is ready to start, but I just remembers there is an extremely strong exhaust pen draw at that trial and Mirk can get a bit stickly (wanting to stop & hold the sheep) when the woolies are truly trying to make a run for it. What should I be doing now to make sure Mirk & I are ready for that "Challenge"?

As far as draw to the exhust...do your homework! Set up work at home with sheep across a fence or close by so the dog gets used to working with sheep nearby - particularly when outrunning. Practice keeping him on his feet and fluid in his flanks at home, (one exercise is to lift the sheep and flank your dog around the sheep, rather than a straight fetch to you so that the dog has to keep his mind on what you are asking). Taking a dog to a trial when it won't flank for you can be a recipe for disaster! :rolleyes:

Good luck -

Vergil

As far as draw to the exhust...do your homework! Set up work at home with sheep across a fence or close by so the dog gets used to working with sheep nearby - particularly when outrunning. Practice keeping him on his feet and fluid in his flanks at home, (one exercise is to lift the sheep and flank your dog around the sheep, rather than a straight fetch to you so that the dog has to keep his mind on what you are asking). Taking a dog to a trial when it won't flank for you can be a recipe for disaster! :rolleyes:

Good luck -

Vergil