BC Boards

training with novice dog on sheep

catfish

Hello Catfish, I reckon I can start this out and others hopefully will join in.

Six dog broke sheep. Good thing to have. Are they knee knockers, or just dog broke.

What breed of dog do you have?

How old is your dog?

What obedience training do you have on your dog?

Do you have a recall/thatll do?

What type/size of training area do you have?

Have you looked around to find a stockdog trainer in your area?

Not that it matters, just courious, but what kind of sheep do ya have?

So many questions, sorry. But if ya want to get some answers it would be a good idea to fill in the blanks so we can better understand what your needs and goals are, as well as all of the above. Cant wiat to hear! :rolleyes:

Hello Catfish, I reckon I can start this out and others hopefully will join in.

Six dog broke sheep. Good thing to have. Are they knee knockers, or just dog broke.

What breed of dog do you have?

How old is your dog?

What obedience training do you have on your dog?

Do you have a recall/thatll do?

What type/size of training area do you have?

Have you looked around to find a stockdog trainer in your area?

Not that it matters, just courious, but what kind of sheep do ya have?

So many questions, sorry. But if ya want to get some answers it would be a good idea to fill in the blanks so we can better understand what your needs and goals are, as well as all of the above. Cant wiat to hear! :rolleyes:

I think they are mixture of sheep breeds. (hair sheep I think) Yes my dog and I did have

obedience training. He has a good recall. I have about 50 acres fenced in for cattle, sheep,

and horses. I have an arena about 80 wide x 150 long and some smaller pens. My dog is

about 4 y/o.

Do you do chores with your dog?

What you might want to do is attend trials and clinics in your area to see what you are aiming for in terms of how the stock are moved around. While you do that, you might meet people who can give you some help in person - it's really hard to tell someone how to start a dog they've never seen. Every dog is so different. With some dogs, you have to start working on control five seconds after you let them see the sheep, and with others, you spend the first three or four sessions trying to get them excited about working. And many swing between the two extremes from one session to the next, or even within a single session!

Do you do chores with your dog?

What you might want to do is attend trials and clinics in your area to see what you are aiming for in terms of how the stock are moved around. While you do that, you might meet people who can give you some help in person - it's really hard to tell someone how to start a dog they've never seen. Every dog is so different. With some dogs, you have to start working on control five seconds after you let them see the sheep, and with others, you spend the first three or four sessions trying to get them excited about working. And many swing between the two extremes from one session to the next, or even within a single session!

Thanks for the info. Looking for a trainer in lower michigan or northern indiana