BC Boards

Missy Lost Her Battle Today.

Missy was our baby, our “heart dog”. She was the sweetest, gentlest dog you could ever want to meet, and loved everyone and everything. She was a favorite amongst the neighborhood children, who loved to pet her and get “kisses” from her. Her visits to the local convalescent hospital brought joy and comfort to many elderly persons. In her glory days, before the cancer robbed her of her fur and her dignity, she was also a beautiful dog (as you can see from the picture below), a cross between a Border Collie and a Belgian Sheepdog with many beautiful physical characteristics of both, yet possessing a docile and ultra-affectionate personality that was not generally typical of either breed. After a protracted and valiant battle over the last couple of years against the combined ravages of cancer, Cushing’s Disease, and heart problems, our beloved 14-year-old little girl was finally unable to go on. Despite weekly visits to the vet’s office, the vet finally told us last week that, even with the weekly shots and the multiple daily medications, she could no longer keep Missy pain-free and assure her a comfortable quality of life; our “miracle dog” had already survived far beyond what was originally expected. The vet gave us special pain medication so that Missy could come home that day and be spoiled rotten in relative comfort for a few more days. We knew that we had no choice but to do the humane thing out of love, and we know she has gone on to a new plane of existence, free of pain and disease. That is what my mind tells me; how do I explain it to my broken heart?

I wish I could be more eloquent, but right now all I can do is cry. This was Missy in her glory days before the cancer (along with Tiffany, another of her sisters who had already made the trip to Rainbow Bridge before Annie came into our lives):

TheGirlsCroppped.jpg

DW is devastated, even though we knew in advance that this day would come; no matter how much we tried to prepare ourselves, the foreknowledge did not lessen the blow. She asked that I post this poem as her tribute to the dog that she loved so much:

So this is where we part, my friend,

And you'll run on, around the bend,

Gone from sight, but not from mind,

New pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on. I'll find the strength.

Life measures quality, not its length.

One long embrace before you leave,

Share one last look, before I grieve.

There were others, that much is true,

But they be they, and they aren't you.

And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,

Will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,

The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.

And as you journey to your final rest,

Take this with you....I loved you best.

And this is my tribute to our baby, a beautiful eulogy originally posted on this board by Baby’s Dad when his beloved Zeke made the trip to the Bridge:

Go in peace, my valiant friend. Suffer no more; sweet sleep has come. Be welcomed by our friends; they have blazed a path for you to follow. Wait patiently, for I will join you again, your keen vision restored to lead our way, your strength renewed, for we shall journey on together forever. I learned from your courage in the waning of your days. You fought bravely through the pain, a whimper never passed, always by my side as I was by yours. Your battle is over, our grieving begins. Your place in my soul will always remain filled. So rest now in peace, my gallant companion, knowing how much I loved you and will miss you at my side.

Missy will be cremated, and her ashes will be buried with DW and me when the time comes. When Annie’s time comes, she will join her sister in the same way. And someday there will be a joyous reunion for all of us at the Bridge, including all the other beloved pets that have gone on before us.

Thanks to all who thought of, and prayed for, Missy through her difficult days. I can think of no greater tribute to our baby than the number of people who cared about her.

Via con Dios, beloved little girl…

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missy fought long, hard, valiantly, and with dignity. She will be long remembered. Knowing she will no longer be in pain helps your mind. The heart takes longer. I'm so sorry y'all have to go through this. My thoughts will be with you and DW.

RIP Missy, you were so loved.

I'm so very sorry....what a beautiful tribute...I know there is nothing I can say to make it easier, but please know, I too just lost my heart dog on 4/2 and though I cry almost once a day for the lovely girl I lost, I know we did the right thing as you did by your girl. Please know she is definitely in a place where she is pain free and running happily once again....

Bustopher,

I join the others in sending you and DW my very best wishes. Hearing of another's loss always brings me to tears because I know exactly what you're going through. Missy was indeed very lucky to have such wise people standing by her and taking the last step with her when it was time.

You guys are in my thoughts.

Ailsa