BC Boards

Mental stimulation

When it comes to stimulate Ouzo mentally, I kinda feel retarded What would be mentally stimulating games/activities. All I do that I think is mentally stimulating is hiding one of Ouzo's squeaky toys behind me, and when he is about to find it I bring it to the front and keep squeaking it...but I guess this is getting old...same ol' same ol'...do you guys have any mental stimulating games to suggest???

(From now on I'll be posting a new topic for each question.. think it's easier to keep track.. sorry folks.. please put up with me and my endless questions :rolleyes: )

Thanks a lot

I like the cookie toss game. Go to a hallway in your house and into one of the doorways. Throw a doggie treat down either side of the hallway. Being BCs, they try to predict which way you will throw the cookie!

Dazzle just got this toy for Christmas - she LOVES it! She will bring it to me, I will stick the ball in the pocket, and then throw it for her. She goes off and tries to get the ball out. Once she is done she brings it back for another turn! Keeps her happy!

Petstages "play with me" toy:

8b_1_b.JPG

I like to work with the clicker (shaping) teaching "tricks". But at the same time not teaching anything - just getting her to use her brain and figure things out even if I never give it a command or anything - a 5 minute shaping session can go a long way!

There are lots more games like hide and seek and stuff like that - but I will let someone else talk about those. :rolleyes:

I do that with Black Jack. I fake throwing a treat one way, then the other. He loves to try to beat me :rolleyes:

Other than that I don't do a lot of games with him yet. I pretty much stick to renforcing, "sit", "stay", "come", "down", and he's learning to "shake". I'll probably start with some games pretty soon.

I try to buy mine a couple new toys every month. As well as teach them some new tricks. This keeps them on their toes.

Here are two of their latest new toys.

A Jolly Pet Teaser Ball(for meduim dogs):

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_...ilyID_7951.aspx

(thanks to Uncle WyoBC's generous gift to Pepper and Popcorn, of a Petco Gift card)

A Pooch Pleasers Knotty Ball Rope

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Na...llers2-_-827452

A trick that my Ouzo loved when he was a couple of months old was for me to put some kibble in an empty plastic bottle, and let him try to get them out. To make it more interesting, we would use bottles that he had already flatten (he still loves 2 liter bottles of Coke, he even draggs them when they're full and brand new and knows how to open them :rolleyes: - not a trick any of us taught him! ).

Another thing that you can start teaching him is names for his toys. Give every toy a specific name, and show him the toy, say the name (Rabbit, for example), then hand him the toy, When he grabs it, then say the name of the toy again, and give him a "Good boy, Ouzo". After he puts the toy down, ask "Where's the Rabbit?", and you'll see he will grab it again (or you can point at it). You'll be able to ask him for a specific toy from a pile of toys, and he will love bringing you the exact toy you requested!

My Ouzo knows at least 30 toy names.

Cody is almost eight months old and plays a great game of hide and seek with my 12-year old daughter. She tells him to stay, then runs and hides behind a closet door or in the bathroom, then calls out "Find!" and Cody comes running to find her. She stays very quiet and he is at the point where he doesn't give up or get distracted until he finds her, then he gets a "party" and a treat to reward him. She changes her location each time so it's fun for both of them. She can do this four to five times before they both get bored.

Another game we taught Cody is with upside down plastic (NOT seethrough) cups. Three cups, one with a treat, and he has to pick the right one with his paw to get the treat.

Over time, we removed the treat and have been teaching him, "Which is the cup on the RIGHT?" and "Which is the cup on the LEFT?" In just under a week, he gets it right about 90% of the time. And of course, each time he picks the correct one, he gets a "good boy!" and a treat.

Fun and it amazes our friends and guests that he's so smart, he knows left and right!

Does he retrieve a ball or other toy?

I used to set up two laundry baskets - each about five feet or so apart. I would sit on the sofa and watch TV and toss the ball into one of the baskets. Speedy would try to figure out which basket I was going for, so he could attempt to intercept the toss.

It was a good game because it gave him physical activity, mental activity, and I could be a couch potato since he would bring the ball back to me and deposit it on the futon!

Another good game is hide and seek. You could shut him up in a room and hide a toy that he likes and then bring him out and tell him to "find it". At first, you would make it simple - "hide" it almost in plain view so he would get the point of the game quickly. Over time, you can hide the toy in tougher places so he really has to look for it. Speedy enjoys this game a lot. He has a good enough "stay" that I have him on a sit-stay in one room while I hide the ball in another and then he is released to "go get it!"

We play lots of hide and seek (with toys or people, as others do). Clicker training simple tricks like high 5, spin (great for getting your pup to wipe his wet feet on a towel), roll over, play dead, and 'useful' stuff like go to your mat, sit, down, stay etc go a long way in teaching your pup to think, and stimulating his brain. Keep your training sessions short, a couple of minutes multiple times a day. We always mix training in with play, keeps it fun, and Hoku has to use his brain and his body. Have fun with that cute boy of yours!

Oh I forgot! I do that with Black Jack. I'll hold one treat in one hand and hold both hands up so he can smell them, say "pick" and he tries to pick the right one. He's really good at it now. lol.