BC Boards

Canine Massage

I took Cooper to a canine massage workshop this weekend. After taking him to several doctors and not finding the cause of his shoulder pain, I thought I'd give this one a try. She also practices holistic medicine and reiki etc. I am not sure if I believe some of these things but I know for sure massage helps with injuries on humans, why not on canines.

Anyways, it was a pretty neat workshop over all. It was a small group and learned how to massage dogs for injuries, arthritis, stress and many other things. It wasn't as technical as I wanted it to be but she taught us to be aware of the muscles we don't normally think about stimulating. She spent some time with Cooper privately and felt his shoulder. I don't think her diagnose was any help (that's a whole another story btw) but I will definitely start massaging him on regular basis. I can see how that helps relaxing his tense muscle and letting the blood flows more. I went home and tried on Jazzy. She is normally not that crazy about being touched on her body. She'd deal with it only because she has to. I used the techniques I learned today and she couldn't keep her eyes open. (well until my hubby started BBQing) She didn't get any exercise or training time today so for her to fall a sleep like that was quite amazing. It was also an intimate moment and I really enjoyed giving that to her.

I hired someone to teach me how to do massage therapy on Speedy when he was diagnosed with bursitis in his shoulder and spondylosis.

His shoulder is just fine now and it hasn't troubled him since. The massage helps keep the arthritis under control, too.

• 2 weeks later...

When our BC was diagnosed with an inflamed disk in his back, we took him to a massage therapist. He showed us the basics (we couldn't afford to take "the course" at the time), and it really seemed to help. We still massage him every day and he loves it. Usually sighs and falls asleep before it's done! Trying to teach him to do it for me now! :rolleyes:

My best friend does this for a living. After seeing how much it helped Timber after both of his knee surgeries I am a "rubbing" owner now too. :rolleyes: My boys think its the best when they get that quite one on one time with me. Her slogan on her cards is the best... "You love 'em, I rub 'em."