BC Boards

How did your dog get their name?

Alex's full name is actually Hunter's Afleet Alex. I wanted to name her after one of my favorite racehorses, Afleet Alex. He's fast and beautiful. He was also linked to a touching story. There was a precious little girl, named Alex, who had a rare form of cancer. She started Alex's Lemonade Stand and the proceeds went to cancer research. The owners of Afleet Alex heard about this and gave 10% of his earnings everytime he raced. So I thought Alex would be a proud name for my girl.

My best friends grandson, he was 7 at the time, was here and he wanted to help with the puppy and naming her. He made a comment that she had no middle name like him. His brothers and sisters all have middle names and it seemed to bother him a little bit. So he became Hunter Alex and she is Hunter's Afleet Alex. Whenever he comes over he walks her, plays ball with her, and she sits with him when they are in the house.

Esox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewie/Lewis old family name.

I've decided to name my dog(s) family names.

My late golden mix was named Sam, which was actually was a shortened version of my great-great-great-grandparents, Henry and Hannah's sir name.

Goofy maybe, but it works for me. :rolleyes:

My boy was named for the place (Rhiwlas) in Wales where was born.

Rhiwlas , we were told, means blue hill - very appropriate for a blue merle BC.

Then, we were told that pronounced another way, In Welsh, it means 'Sex'.

No more visits wo Welsh speaking Wales for us, then! :rolleyes:

Meg was named Meg as that was the name of my imaginary dog-friend when I was a child.

Missy was named by her former owner; we acquired her because he was dying of brain cancer, and wanted her to be placed in a good home before he passed on. Coincidentally, we had just lost a Beagle named Missy. We would send letters and picutres to the former owner from Missy, and when he entered Hospice, we took her to see him regularly. Missy was all he had in this world (he had no family), and we felt it would dishonor his memory to change her name. (His last words to a Hospice nurse before he died were to the effect that he could go in peace knowing that his beloved dog was in a good and loving home.)

Annie was named by DW. DW was very close to her grandmother, and Annie was the grandmother's nickname. Since acquiring Annie, she has been called by a few other names as well, including Rosemary's Baby, Osama's Revenge, Devil Spawn, and some others that politeness precludes being published on a family board...

Sammie's name at the SPCA was Sammie. I don't know if that was the name that his former owners gave him, or if the shelter gave him that name - it didn't occur to me to ask at the time. We kept it because it definitely suited him.

Speedy's breeder named him Speed. He totally responded to it at 2 and 1/2 months old, so we decided not to change it. Also, we are both NASCAR racing fans and we thought that having a dog named Speed was really cool. The one thing I didn't like was that it sounded like the drug - speed - so we decided to add the "y" and Speedy he became.

Maddie's name was Madison. I'm pretty sure that was the name that her former owners gave her. She responded to it with great familiarity. We didn't really think it suited her, though, so we called her Maddie right from the start. When our neighbor asked what her name was and I said, "Madison", he thought I had said, "Madelyn". We liked that a lot, so we changed her "official" name to Maddie Lynn.

Dean's former owners originally named him Charm. They had another dog named Lucky and Dean's evaluator told me that they thought it would be cool to have Lucky and Charm. But they soon changed it to Demon - I was told that he was a completly wild puppy - and when they surrendered him to GHF, they sent him as Demon. Lillie changed his name, for obvious reasons, and she was the one who named him Dean. The name totally fits him, and I really liked it as his name, and so Dean he remains.

first was Josey Wales for obvious reasons

Second was Katie Walsh (after me own sweet gtandmother)

Next was Eleanor Frances O'Leery after my mother though we do sometimes call her Scarlett due to her propensity for a bit o' drama

Alex's full name is actually Hunter's Afleet Alex. I wanted to name her after one of my favorite racehorses, Afleet Alex. He's fast and beautiful. He was also linked to a touching story. There was a precious little girl, named Alex, who had a rare form of cancer. She started Alex's Lemonade Stand and the proceeds went to cancer research. The owners of Afleet Alex heard about this and gave 10% of his earnings everytime he raced. So I thought Alex would be a proud name for my girl.

No way! My Alex (in my avatar) is also named for Afleet Alex. :rolleyes: I already loved AA, and then there was that Preakness win...wow!

Jack is named for Jackie Robinson.

There is no significance behind Lilly's name, it was just a pretty name for a pretty girl.

Well, mine isn't a touching story or anything, but it was an interesting event. My best friend and I are COMPLETE opposites, right down to our appearance and the music we listen to. Night and Day! We had been friends for about 5 years and I had finaly convinced her to move to Calgary and live with me. Our second christmas together, we moved into a house and decided that we should get each other a puppy for Christmas since we both LOVE dogs to death and needed a reason to be more responsible "grown-ups". I knew the dog would end up being mine in the long run, so I had to stick to my guns. She was looking at little lap dog types, that (No offense to anyone) drive me up the wall on a good day, plus I've always been afraid that I might sit on one and kill the poor thing (I am quite absent minded somedays). I am more of a tom-boy so I insisted that we get something that can handle "getting dirty". Finaly, we found a litter of BC/Malamute crosses and went to look at them. All the boys were HUGE and looked very Malamute and all the girls were slender and BC looking, she settled on the quite one who waited patiently for someone to pet her. I was then given a list of names that were of the "fru-fru" variety, and the only one I figured would work was Daisy (both of our favortie flowers), so I decided that we could name her Daisy, but only if I could call her Daisy Duke. She got the Ms. part from a friend who figured it suited her. Out of good humor, my boyfriend figures our next dog should be a hound dog type and we should call him Boss Hog! I don't know about that one! :rolleyes:

"Foxglove" is part of Foxy's registered name. I figured I should name her something a bit ladylike because that would be the only thing ever ladylike about her crazy self LOL. That and I didnt want to give her one of those crazy agility names. My Sheltie is "Pumpkin's Full Throttle Frenzy" and sadly enough it switched over to his personality.... that is exactly what he is on course. So Foxy is just Contact Point's Foxglove. Funny thing is, she's a bit Foxy lookin to me now.

And laugh all you want but Foxglove was a name of a horse in this series I read as a child. Her nickname was, of course, Foxy. What a great horse she had been too, even going to the Olympics :rolleyes:

Jazz- We had a music theme going with our animals at the time.

Raven- I dreamed the name on the way back from a trip and when I got home my friend told me about a dog she was looking for a home for that she had named Raven. So I figured she must have been the dog I dreamed about.

Mick - was the runt of the litter, one of the breeders kids called him Midge so I picked Mick which was as close as I could get to Midge.

Dew - her real name is Dual which was my Great Uncles name who sparked my interest in BC's (he had 2 of them on his farm when I was growing up)

My next pup's name is pre picked, unless she tells me it's something different or it's a boy she will be Mabel, which is my grandmothers name who recently passed away.

I've always enjoyed picking the dogs name out. Unlike children, they will never complain about their name!

Kristen

Bo = Bocephus = Hank Williams II, and I just thought it was a cool name for a dog....

Violet - because her name had been Lady :rolleyes: and when I got her the shy little wild violets were just beginning to show their faces. :D

Faith - She was the first tri I'd ever seen IRL and I pulled her from the shelter on faith that she actually was a BC. :D

Scot - Julie Poudrier came up with this one. His transport met me at the Jack Knox clinic at her farm. It seemed to suit him - he's a split-face, like the war-painted clansmen in Braveheart.

My Lhasa's name is Arlo, because he and Arlo Guthrie wear their hair alike; and my little terrier-ist is named Abbie, because I had a childhood crush on Abbie Hoffman. :D

Briggs was named after Major Briggs, a character on the TV show "Twin Peaks." My partner at the time - who got Briggs for me - had a dog named "Agent Cooper" so we were keeping with the theme.

Tweed was named after what I understand was the dog who won the first recorded sheepdog trial in history. HA HA HA. Oh the irony.

Piper ... I tricked my partner into naming Piper because I knew I was going to keep her and he didn't want us to have another dog. So he named her Piper. BTW, "tricking him" was a bad idea and he never was happy about her addition, even if he didn't mind her around. Getting to name her was a poor consolation prize, apparently :rolleyes:

Lastly, the infamous Mr. Woo. He arrived with the very unfortunate name of "Ricky" which I simply could not stand. I renamed him "Tricky Woo" - NOT after the Peke in the James Herriot books, but after the rock'n'roll band - to transition over the Ricky into Tricky, which is what I intended to call him. However, the guy that I was dating at the time likes to give all of our dogs formal titles and one day he said "Mr. Woo" and we fell all over ourselves laughing, and it stuck. I have sometimes regretted it, as he is a very disobedient and dismissive dog and screaming "MR. WOO!" at the park attracts a great deal of attention to us.

Harumph.

RDM

Jackson-Stonewall Jackson, and he is hard-headed and bull dogged, so it fit!

Skip-I didn't really have a name for him, but when I went to pick him out, and when I lifted him up, Skip just came out! My dog Skip!

Cheyenne-she came from a druggies house at 10dys old late one night. I didn't know if she would make it but she did! We just called her baby. Then around the time she was 4wks old, I read in the paper about a little 4yr. old girl up in Mont. or somewhere close to there, can't really remember, but anyway, this little girl was camping with her folks and wandered off. She was gone for 3dys. They found her, alive! She had survived! I thought that was very fitting for my little pup, so I named her after the little girl, Cheyenne!

I have sometimes regretted it, as he is a very disobedient and dismissive dog and screaming "MR. WOO!" at the park attracts a great deal of attention to us.

Harumph.

RDM

:D

When I bought my little paint horse, Quanah, as a three year old, all of us at school were addicted to the Harry Potter books. So I thought I'd name Quanah after the Weasley's hyper little owl.

Then I pictured myself at 60, yelling "Pigwidgeon!" across a pasture. :rolleyes:

You're a braver woman than I. :D

...and screaming "MR. WOO!" at the park attracts a great deal of attention to us.

My brother lived in a condo complex, and named his cat "Cocaine" ( a popular song at the time). I can only imagine the consternation caused when he would call his cat in at night...

Hmmm,

Molly... just thought it was cute... aka 'Molly Mae'

Rock... he was born white with a diamond shaped black patch on his tush... aka' Mister'

Nell... just seemed to fit ...aka 'Nellie Sue'

Roy... DH named him... aka 'Roy O' or 'One Spot' ( distinguishing feature between his shoulder blades)

We've had Zoey since she was a puppy. She just looked like a Zoey, so that's what we called her. Our dog Jinx was named by his foster mom before he came to live with us, but we decided to keep it. He was a bag of bones (he was 32 pounds when he was pulled from a shelter, he's 36 pounds now and is still thin) and had multiple infections, worms, broken tooth, untreated hip injury, his coat was coarse and brittle, it felt like steel wool- he was just a mess. Even so, his personality always shinned through. Everyday my wife and I look at him and can't believe he's the same critter. Today he's healthy, happy, full of life and has a beautiful coat. Jinx's run of bad luck is gone for good.

It seems like we've done this recently, no?

Renzo: Named after the architect Renzo Piano (who builts cute, quirky little buildings)

Pippin: Named after an heirloom apple, which we liked because the breeder's last name is MacIntosh

Tansy: Her rescue name was Disney, which we didn't so much like and we wanted something cheery and floral, but still tenacious

Hamish: Named after a very mischievous orange tomcat and a Scottish character in the Charles Todd mystery series

Rafe: Liked the older English pronunciation of Ralph but wanted to make it clear that his name isn't "Ralph"--the name was one of the characters in the Maisie Dobbs mystery series and is the name of a most handsome and excellent actor, Ralph Fiennes

Kyzer: We wanted a name with some sounds we didn't have yet AND we only had one good German-ish name in the household

Ness: We didn't like the name she came with (Nana) and since she was only going to stay for a couple of weeks, we figured someone else would change it to something else. Ha. This is the name of Pippin and Hamish's dam.

They also have food-themed second names (except for Ness)

Renzo Linguini

Pippin Noodle

Hamish Braeburn (the apple)

Rafe-a-roni

Tansy-cake

Kyzer roll

They are pretty good sports about those. :rolleyes:

They are pretty good sports about those. :rolleyes:

Oh my. Sometimes I go all Ned Flanders on Mr. Woo and call him "Noodle-y Woodle-y." In fact, it's become something of a ritual to call him this when I am asking him to get back in the vehicle at the dog beach. Recently someone told me it was "bordering on embarrassing" to be out in public with me and Mr. Woo at the same time.

I can't imagine why. It must be much worse to be around me and Tweed at Christmas time, when I sing my long time favourite "Oh Christmas Tweed, Oh Christmas Tweed ..." song.

;-)

RDM

Well, I guess that I'm not a very creative name-giver. In fact, I only named one of my (current) dogs, Milo. I named him that because I liked the name and thought it fit him. I still do.

Charlie was named Charlie already. I'm not sure if that was his original name or the name his foster Mom gave him. We considered changing his name, but continued to call him Charlie in the meantime. We had also recently had a Hurricane Charley in FL and since Charlie was such a wild puppy, we often referred to him as Hurricane Charlie. It seemed appropriate. After calling him Charlie for several days, we decided that we liked his name well enough and there was no need to change it.

Skittles was named Skittles at the shelter. He already knew his name when we got him and I thought it was cute, so we kept it. I love saying his name to him, too. But, I pronounce it Skiiiddoooolllzzzz. He immediately puts his ears down and wags his whole body (it's a slow wag, not a hyper, wiggly wag) and he usually has something in his mouth, or he'll grab something when I do it. Sometimes, if I use my most endearing voice, I can even make him pee.

I can't imagine why. It must be much worse to be around me and Tweed at Christmas time, when I sing my long time favourite "Oh Christmas Tweed, Oh Christmas Tweed ..." song.

;-)

RDM

:rolleyes::D:D

Solo is the first name that popped into my head for him. Solo came with the name Rip, but I wasn't crazy about it and it doesn't roll off the tongue. When I got his papers, it turned out his registered name was (and still is) Franklin. The rabies certificate that his original owner sent on is for Frankie. I can't think of a worse name for this dog and to this day if you call him Frankie, he will look very sorry and ingratiating as if he is being scolded. I'm guessing the only time he heard his name growing up is when he was getting yelled at for something. Solo is named after the Solo River in Indonesia, which is where the original specimens of Homo erectus were found. His full name is Ashfall Solo River, as Ashfall is my "kennel name" (heh) after a fossil site in Nebraska where load of three-toed horsies and other nifty animals were found.

Fly came with her name. I thought about changing it, because Fly is such a common Border Collie name, and because everyone thinks I named her after the dog in Babe. But let's face it, Fly is a cool name and it suits her. I entered her in her first sheepdog trial as Firefly, just to be different, but everyone made fun of me so I never did it again (I don't blame them really). I still kind of think of her as Firefly though.

Jett was Jett's litter name (minus one T) and I kept it because it suits her and it goes well thematically with Solo and Fly. It's also really, really easy to yell when necessary. I added the T to name her after Joan because I wanted her to grow up to be a cool rocker chick. She's registered simply as Jett, but when it comes time to fill out USDAA or NADAC forms for her I'm going to put her full name down as Steadfast Blackheart because that name is freaking cool.