BC Boards

Another Excellent Freestyle Performance

Ya know, I've checked out a couple of the freestyles posted on youtube and linked on these boards. I find the whole concept of freestyle rather indescribable, because the thought of doing something like that in front of people is alarming at best to me. However, I also see a great bond between handler and dog, and lots of quality time and effort put into training and being companions. To each, their own.

This partnership, with this young lady obviously sharing mutual devotion with her dog (and a nice touch of shyness and humility, I think) and her dog's joy at a job well done and enjoyed - well, it really, really made me smile. What a nice thing for a young person to do with a devoted companion, and a wonderful job of it, too. There were animals that made a big positive difference in my life at her age, and I wish them both the very best!

This partnership, with this young lady obviously sharing mutual devotion with her dog (and a nice touch of shyness and humility, I think) and her dog's joy at a job well done and enjoyed - well, it really, really made me smile. What a nice thing for a young person to do with a devoted companion, and a wonderful job of it, too.

I thought the same thing. :rolleyes:

I find the whole concept of freestyle rather indescribable, because the thought of doing something like that in front of people is alarming at best to me. However, I also see a great bond between handler and dog, and lots of quality time and effort put into training and being companions. To each, their own.

It really does illustrate how different we all are from each other. I get where you are coming from. I'd feel the same way about showing a dog in Conformation that you do about Freestyle. It's definitley not for everyone.

To me performing with my dog in front of people is very natural and it brings me great joy. This is especially true in Speedy's case because he is shy and usually can't relax and "be himself" with most people. But when he performs, the best of him really shows through and those who are watching get a glimpse into the best of him. I would perform with him for his own sake, even if I didn't love it. I'm glad that I love it! :D

What I noticed about the video was that the judges and the two goofy guys on the side of the stage (what exactly was their role?!) just kept going on and on about how talented the dog was. They never really acknowledged the handler's role, which is a pretty big role. The dog didn't train herself.

I guess they are accustomed to people who can dance but not dogs - for someone who's never seen that sort of performance, well choreographed and executed, I can understand their amazement. Then again, they probably have no clue about Border Collies, either, and what they can do that is really amazing.

Ok, that got me teary eyed! :rolleyes: That was a great routine for that music. And the obvious relationship those two share was wonderful to see. I love seeing that level of relationship in all our dogs can do - I've seen it at sheepdog trials, agility, and even (gasp!) competitive obedience. All the long hours of practice means nothing without the relationship and their's sure is special.

Thanks, Kristine!

What I noticed about the video was that the judges and the two goofy guys on the side of the stage (what exactly was their role?!) just kept going on and on about how talented the dog was. They never really acknowledged the handler's role, which is a pretty big role. The dog didn't train herself.

:rolleyes: the goofy guys are Ant and Dec - they are the shows hosts

The show is 'Britans got tallent'

Loved that act - and the dog so not phased by the people - liked at the start where it was checking out the people

and well done to that girl - for training the dog and for getting up on the stage and overcoming her shyness to show off her lovely well trained dog

amazing for such a young girl

I love seeing that level of relationship in all our dogs can do - I've seen it at sheepdog trials, agility, and even (gasp!) competitive obedience. All the long hours of practice means nothing without the relationship and their's sure is special.

Thanks, Kristine!

That's the truth! No matter what it is we do with our dogs, the relationship is the most important thing....I personally LOVE competitive obedience! So many people think it's dull and boring, but it doesn't have to be. Be creative and make it interesting and most dogs really enjoy it, just like anything else you do with them. If you've built a solid relationship with your dog and make training fun, those teams are very impressive to watch=)

Happy Training~

Janet

I like obedience, too. Speedy really enjoys obedience. He doesn't get the chance to practice obedience much anymore, but he has always loved the heeling patterns and the figure 8's.

If the need to improv was not so important to him, I might have tried St. Hubert's Obedience with him. Who knows? Maybe someday I will.