BC Boards

What's up with Nutro

I don't think it's so much people talking about their dogs being choosy. Some of us are choosy on behalf of our dogs.

Exactly, plus some of our dogs have health issues or allergies. My three are on three different diets, none of them cheap, one of them home made. A pain at times, but I like my dogs to be healthy and knock wood, I may have finally reached my goal of three healthy dogs all at the same time.

Personally, I'd love to go back to the days of feeding one inexpensive brand of food for all my dogs. They wouldn't have a problem with it. I've never known them to do anything but scarf any food or treat put in front of them. As Rebecca says, I'm the picky, choosy one not those scavengers I live with. :rolleyes:

Nutro is definitely out. Alex tried Innova last night and this morning and ate both times. And Elwood actually ate it both times. This is after refusing it before. Maybe he just isn't hungry. Taste of the Wild (I usually call it Call of The Wild) is out also. So we have decided that it will be Innova. With some Evo can, they love rabbit, venison, and duck canned food. We will definitely be trying some of the other toppers you mentioned to see what they like. Thank you very much for all your help.

Esox

I always chime in with these threads and cast my vote for the Eagle Pack line. I dont hear to many folks talk about it here but it is great stuff. If you go with the Holistic lines you can get them on a single source protein food of your choice: Lamb, Salmon or Duck. They are filled with other goodies like blueberries and so on and its all organic. What is nice is that you can switch source proteins from bag to bag without upsetting the tummy and allowing you to vary your dogs diet a bit - they appreciate it. This line that Im refering to was brought about for sensitive stomachs as well.

EDIT: One thing I love about Eagle Pack is that in their entire history they have NEVER had to do a recall for any reason. In todays pet food world that is something to make you feel good about what it is you are buying.

No comment on types of food but there is apparently a world wide shortage in rice - a staple in the diet of about 1/2 the world's population. That might be why Nutro (or some products with rice) might be harder to get. Just a thought.

Bustopher - I had one dog (Brandy, RIP) who's FAVOURITE food was spagetti - with homemade meat sauce. If we ate it, she got a plate of her own. Other than that, she dined on dry kibble and the occasional piece of steak when I was still eating meat :D BTW, she lived to be 16 1/2 so it couldn't have been that bad :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reminder about Eagle Pack. I even like the regular Eagle Pack line. I started Lynn on the regular puppy formula and was very happy with it. They are "good folks" - like the local company that I also like and recommend, Blackwood. They have one corn-free formula (Trout and Potato), but the rest of their line is very good quality, treating the corn in the food as a grain rather than a meat substitute. That's my main "beef" with other corn-based foods like Science Diet or Iams.

I get 40 pounds of the Extreme Athlete at my local feed store for $32. I'm sure that's a somewhat higher price than you could find if you were able to shop around. I don't have that option - anything outside the thirty-mile range and I have to start adding gas price to the cost of the food. EA is probably Diamond Naturals most expensive food. Yes, I see that Pet Food Direct has Chicken and Rice Adult at $29.49 for 40 lbs, and EA for $36.49 for 40 lbs.

However, as I mentioned the chicken and Rice Adult has 3708 kcal/kg and the Extreme Athlete is 4710 kcals/kg. When I'm looking at a food I always make sure I look at quality of ingredients and suitability for my crowd, then the kcal per dollar figure. Sometimes a food that looks really inexpensive might surprise you when you look at it in those terms. I'm looking at a food here commonly available in feed stores for $20 for 50 pounds, but 3100 kcals/kg. Here's the ingredients:

Corn Meal, Meat Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Natural Poultry Flavoring, Salt, [vitamins and minerals]

Here's Extreme Athlete:

Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, cracked pearled barley, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, [vitamins and minerals]

I'm thinking of switching to Canidae. I know Melanie uses it. Both Jodi and Melanie live in my area. Any idea ladies where I can get it? Also others, is this a good quality product?

They also sell it at Double D on Meridian rd. The price is about $1.50 more than at Boise co-op, but depending on where you live it may be cheaper to not drive to Boise co-op. Canidae was also one of the Approved dog foods listed in the Whole Dog Journal's list this year. I've not been happy with the food I feed (Nutra Nuggets, made by Diamond) lately and have been thinking of going to Canidae. I've been feeding Nutra Nuggets for many years, but this year my dogs have dropped weight (all of them) and I've had to up the amount I feed, so I'm wondering if they've had a change in recipe. I asked a vet about it and she concurred it was a possibility.

Thanks for the reminder about Eagle Pack. They have one corn-free formula (Trout and Potato), but the rest of their line is very good quality, treating the corn in the food as a grain rather than a meat substitute. That's my main "beef" with other corn-based foods like Science Diet or Iams.

Actually all of the Holistic line is corn free which is why I feed it to Koda. I started him on the regular line but he had dry flaky skin. At the request of a friend into dog nutrition I changed to the Holistic line (corn free) and it was gone in about three days.

I dont care for corn either. They use other grains like rice in the Holistic Line.

That kinda weird. I was referring to Blackwood in that quote, but for some reason that part got deleted?

I like Eagle Pack's regular line, too, which does contain corn, but as a carb source, not a protein source. I've got one dog who really does best with corn in his diet. I'm trying an experiment now with him, adding a corn oil supplement, with a food that is corn free, to see whether he's lacking in something that provides.

They also sell it at Double D on Meridian rd. The price is about $1.50 more than at Boise co-op, but depending on where you live it may be cheaper to not drive to Boise co-op. Canidae was also one of the Approved dog foods listed in the Whole Dog Journal's list this year. I've not been happy with the food I feed (Nutra Nuggets, made by Diamond) lately and have been thinking of going to Canidae. I've been feeding Nutra Nuggets for many years, but this year my dogs have dropped weight (all of them) and I've had to up the amount I feed, so I'm wondering if they've had a change in recipe. I asked a vet about it and she concurred it was a possibility.

Wow- I didn't realize you lived that close to me. I ended up getting it at a "doggy health food store". It's where Fairview turns into Cherry Lane, just off of Meriden road. Cute little store. I got a bag that's a little over 40 pds. cost me about the same as Nutro max. With 12 bags you get a free one. They also have the fish oil with the vitamin e added, healthy snacks and lots and lots of stuff inside.

Also, to answer the question about WHY we feed our dogs good food or why we are so picky. My reason (and we know what opinions are like) is because dogs only live so long and we love them. If a healthy food gives them a few extra years of life, then it's worth every penny to me. Maybe it's selfish on my part, by I want my dogs as long as I can have them with me.

Also, to answer the question about WHY we feed our dogs good food or why we are so picky. My reason (and we know what opinions are like) is because dogs only live so long and we love them. If a healthy food gives them a few extra years of life, then it's worth every penny to me. Maybe it's selfish on my part, by I want my dogs as long as I can have them with me.

AMEN!!!

Not only that but many of our dogs are atheletes or working dogs. Koda especially needs to build strong and healthy bones, joints and muscles for disc sports.

Wow- I didn't realize you lived that close to me. I ended up getting it at a "doggy health food store". It's where Fairview turns into Cherry Lane, just off of Meriden road.

I live in Kuna. The store you bought it at would be "H -3 Pets?" Its a bit more expensive there, but not by much.

I live in Kuna. The store you bought it at would be "H -3 Pets?" Its a bit more expensive there, but not by much.

wow- yes- do I know you? LOL.

Dianne

P.S. If I don't it would be nice to!!!

Well the decision has been narrowed down to 2. EVO Red Meat Small Bites or Innova Small Bites. Elwood prefers smaller kibble. I like the whole EVO approach. Now we have to see if Alex likes the food. I know she likes the Innova.

The manager at Pet Depot did not seem surprised to see a bag of Nutro coming back.

FYI: Check out the FDA website. Nutro canned food on recall.

Thanks for all your help,

Esox

I'm actually feeding Kipp Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy formula right now. The local feed store doesn't carry Canidae, and Extreme Athlete only comes in 40# bags (it would take Kipp forever to go through that). I read over the ingredient label, it looked really good, and then I saw that the food was formulated for all life stages. So I gave it a try, and he's doing quite well on it. The cost is $14/20#.

He also gets leftovers, an occasional egg, meat scraps, etc.

FYI: Check out the FDA website. Nutro canned food on recall.

I did go check it out since I feed Nutro (dry only though). I can't find anything about any new Nutro recalls, only about their canned food during last year's tainted food recall when so many brands were affected. The page of recalled foods is current as of April 16 it said, but I didn't see any new recalls listed for Nutro. If there are can you please post a link?

Julie W.,

I can get a 40# bag of Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice for around $24-25. Their Chicken Soup brand, at 35#, is a few dollars more (maybe $28). I mix the two to feed to my dogs. Occasionally I switch out to other things.

Becca,

I tried the Extreme Athlete for several months, and although at all other times I actually add fat (oil) to my dogs' diet, they never could adjust to the EA, and I got tired of dealing with the cow pie poops (since they do well on other Diamond products, I'm assuming that the fat level was just too high)....

Skyler,

Eagle Pack Holistic is a great kibble. I fed it to my geriatric fellow and he did great on it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to feed it to all 10 dogs. When I can get it for the cats, that's what they eat as well (but since the local--20 miles away--pet supply place hasn't had the Eagle Pack for cats on hand lately, they've been getting Evo, which they like quite as much).

J.

Nutro Can Recall

I will get that link as soon as I chat with my recall guru. A good friend and fellow animal lover gave me the info. She works with recalls. Maybe it is just a misread.

Everyone here eating their Innova products. So far so good. I hope it stays this way. I just want my girl and her 2 brothers to have a food that they really like and is good for them.

Trying the poached egg topping tomorrow.

Esox