BC Boards

Running BC

I'd keep it to 5K. Maybe a lot less in this heat. I assume you're going really early in the morning, before the heat and humidity build up. Think of running barefoot in a fur coat the whole time.

Keep an eye on his cardio, that's probably the biggest thing. Also how fit are his muscles. I think I'd set a limit and keep an eye on him, stopping as soon as I think he was fatiguing. It won't take long to build it up if you go often enough.

But I don't bike my dogs, so I can't give distance advice.

It depends a lot on speed imo; I roller blade w/ Maggie and when she is running all out I keep her in the grass and only ask for about .1 or .2 of a mile of the extended stride/gallop (prob about 20 mph). If she's just trotting (about 5 to 6 mph), we generally go about 4 or 5 miles. I started out w/ 1 to 2 miles of trotting and increased distance as her energy level at the end of the run increased. Speed of skating/running increased once the distance was up to about 5 miles consistantly.

Guess my concern is how fast you go on your bike.

Hate to say that all the caloarie charts I see have biking at 10 and 13 mph. Come on now! Heck, they have running at 10 mph. If I'm not biking faster than I run, I'm falling over for criminy sake!

Maybe you are on a fat tired cruiser. And doing what we call potsying. Then it's probably OK to take the dog. But I'd still keep the mileage at or below 5 K.

However, then, don't believe that you are really getting any exercise. An appropriate pace for a dog on foot is not enough for a human on a bicycle. See, a human on a bicycle is the most efficient method of transportation. So you are, to be blunt, "dogging it".

If you want good exercise for you and the dog, run. The 5K will be good for both of you. Sad but true.

Ok I looked the human calorie rates up for me (about 120lbs human)...

30 mins of:

biking at about 12 to 14 mph = 281 cal

rollerblading = 439 cal

running at a 10min/mile pace = 351 cal

walking at a 20min/mile pace = 116 cal

Looks like if you wanna exercise the dog and human, rollerblading is the way to go. It's my favorite method as well lol.

I hate those charts. Biking at that rate is like running 15 minute miles - maybe even fast walking.

My point was that running is an exercise that you can do with your dog without risking the dog. Assume that, if you hurt, the dog probably hurts too. Biking at 12 mph is not much exercise for a human. But running at that pace for any distance is tough on the dog. Also, on a bike, you get the benefit of the breeze, along with the mechanical advantage. The dog just has to fight any headwind. Running is the fair exercise!

Jacko would beg to differ, Nancy. He hates running because no human can run fast enough for him. He hates walking because, well, it's not fast enough for him. He LOVES bike rides. Do we go fast? No. We don't use it for exercise for us, we use it for exercise for him. H and I go on our own bike rides without the dog to get our own exercise in, but you'd be amazed at how well he does. We took him 6 miles one time, and when we got there he wanted to play!

Just be careful of the paw pads, and keep an eye on him as far as any physical signs of fatigue. Be smart about the heat, and take water with you. If he's like Jacko and won't drink mid run, our trainer suggested pouring water on the belley to help cool them. Don't pour it on the head/back as that can actually make them hotter.

OK... I run Angel pretty much everyday so she is in excellent condition. I started her off at a mile and increased from there to get her fit.

In the spring, we had a nice cool day and we went MTN biking. Everyone was on single speeds so the pace was not super fast, but constant. We rode for 5.5 hours, with a nice little stop for lunch (she chased gees most of this time). There was a lot of places for her to take a dip, but she was out in front most of the day, and even dug out a toy to play when we got back to the truck.

My buddy just laughed and said, "Well you are right... she does like to ride!"

Originally posted by JackoDog:

He LOVES bike rides. Do we go fast? No. We don't use it for exercise for us, we use it for exercise for him.

Same for me. I use to ride bike more for transportation or to let the dog run at a good pace for her than for sport .

When I go running I take Chemukh with me. I can run 20 minutes, end with my tongue out and she will just look at me as saying "Could you let me off-leash so I can actually RUN?"