BC Boards

FURminator...worth it?

Hello everyone!

I recently adopted a smooth Border collie. However, he is shedding like mad at the moment. Would a FURminator help his coat? Even though it's smooth I suppose he does have a bit of an undercoat hiking under there. Living in Ga I'm sure the heat is not very helpful in this :rolleyes:

I bought a Furminator last year, and it does work. I brought it to the park one day and the lab ladies tried it on their labs, who didn't appear to be shedding too much. They all oohed and aahed at the amount of hair it pulled out.

My dog is medium coat (long butt hair and tail hair) and has one big shed a year. I'm not really sure the Furminator is a whole lot better on the long hair than his regular brush. The people with short-haired dogs, though, did seem to think that it was getting out a whole lot of hair - more than their brushes did, if I recall correctly.

Mary, who's psyched to go brush her dog now. Very therapeutic.

I use it on my bitch when she blows her coat, but otherwise I don't brush my rough coats with it. The blade seems very harsh to me and I think damages some hair that isn't ready to come out. JMO though.

The blade seems very harsh to me and I think damages some hair that isn't ready to come out. JMO though.

I think the Furminator has its place, but you have to be careful with it. It is essentially a blade with a handle. It will pull hair out that is not dead hair. It can get down to the skin and rub a dog raw really fast if you use it too long in the same place. I don't use it for Border Collies. I like a slicker brush best for taking out the undercoat. I don't think there are any quick cures, just time spent brushing. Also bathing and blow drying will get out a lot of loose undercoat. JMO

We bought a Furminator last year. Annie is a rough-coat with long fur and a thick undercoat, and we were very disappointed with the item; it was totally ineffective. The only combination that has worked so far for us is an undercoat rake and a wire grooming brush.

We bought a Furminator last year. Annie is a rough-coat with long fur and a thick undercoat, and we were very disappointed with the item; it was totally ineffective. The only combination that has worked so far for us is an undercoat rake and a wire grooming brush.

argghhhhh I've just ordered one for Rhiw - who is medium to long hair with coarser hair on his 'trousers' and tail.

A lot of money to spend if it doesn't work! I imagine it'll be fine for Meg - but she's a tough old sweetie and will let me use any old tool on her - not my collie though....

I recommend it, but we found it does depend on the dog's hair.

It works really well on Jess (silky hair) removing more hair than any other brush we have tried. An added bonus for us - she used to hate being brushed but with the Furminator she will just stay laying down and keep asking for more brushing.

Zoe has rougher hair, everything gets caught in it and the Furminator is no different. It feels like it is ripping the hair and she hates being brushed with it, whereas she doesn't mind other brushes.

I think Jess is the major shedder in our house so overall I am very happy with the furminator.

Hello everyone!

I recently adopted a smooth Border collie. However, he is shedding like mad at the moment. Would a FURminator help his coat? Even though it's smooth I suppose he does have a bit of an undercoat hiking under there. Living in Ga I'm sure the heat is not very helpful in this :rolleyes:

use it on the cats and Ellie she loves it sand it works!!!!

I like the Furminator for my smooth BC and for my all year long shed machine, GSD/Chow mix. But on River's med rough coat, it just pulls and she definitely doesn't like that :rolleyes:

I mostly bought it for my mix and it's SO SO awesome on her. I also have a 'shedd blade' and that works great on my smoothie too and it's cheaper.

pPETS-3757752t400.jpg

Just a side note...

Last spring, I bought the Furminator when Buddy had just about finished shedding. I just in the last few days have tried it on him now, beginning to middle of his big shed, and it does seem to do a very good job. Buddy, who's medium-coated, seems to mind the feel of this more than that of his other brush, but it does seem to be clearing out that tufty undercoat quickly. I'm going to work it a bit every couple days and see if I can avoid the furballs!

Mary

Furminator arrived today.

.... and... we like!

It gets a ton of hair out and although I had to go carefully on the silky hair, it did a great job in thinning out the coarser hair on his back legs - he didn't seem to mind me doing those bits with it at all. It got a surprising amount off Meg as well. Would have done more if I'd persisted with it, but don't want to do too much too soon.

As Dyson is to the 'normal' vacuum cleaner when confronted with dog hair, the furminator is to a normal dog brush!

Its a razor on a stick for 50.00 bucks, and you can easily over use it and injure your dog and cause hot spots and bald areas. You can accomplish just as much with a 22.00 dollar #40 (surgical blade) with less damage. The one thing I will caution about them, is to not over do it. They will continue to strip out hair as long as you use it. Less, is more. They arent designed for coated dogs, generally breeds like ACD's, labs, hounds, etc.