BC Boards

Question about brushing

The last two weeks or so I have had a real problem with Black Jack. Everytime I go to brush him he whines and either lies down on his back or runs away. He never minded being brushed before. I can't figure out what's wrong. He doesn't seem sore anywhere. I looked him over really well and poked all over and found nothing. I have had him on Cosequin for about three weeks to help his back when he's doing agility. When he first had his back problem they put him on Rimadyl (sp?) and cosequin. One of them really messed him up. I took him off of the Rimadyl and he seemed to get better. They said that it can mess with their heads sometimes. But now I'm thinking maybe it's the cosequin? Has anyone had this problem? Is there some way to help him like brushing again? He's shedding so it's bad not being able to brush him.

I have been trying to slowly start to brush him again. I try to just touch him with the brush, treat, then quit. But still nothing. Any help?

I just recently bought the "furmanator" . Worked great on Bailey, however, I noticed Usher "cringe" go to his crate and found blood on it. Guess I got a little too close with shaky hands. My mom said I could have saved a few bucks on the neuter job :rolleyes: only kidding- I HAVE to make fun of my disease to survive. Poor Ush.

I have been using a pin brush to start with and a slicker brush to finish, and a flat brush for his tummy and head. The slicker gave him a really nice shine :rolleyes: He is beautiful after wards. I miss that freshly brushed hair.

Maggie hates pin and slicker brushes - we've had way more success with rubber curry brushes like the Zoom Groom and a knockoff version of the Furminator.

I wonder if because he's shedding his skin is more sensitive or something like that. Either way, once you've ruled out pain and sensitivity, I'd go back to rewarding good behavior and just desensitize him to the grooming process, perhaps trying a different tool in the process.

I would probably suggest not using the pin brush, as it is predominatly for show coats and the pins feel to a dogs skin, just like what what they say they are, pins. Its not a brush that you should use to brush to the skin, but just to brush the hair. It doesnt do a good job of removing tangles or dirt, or much undercoat, unless you really brush and brush with it, which ultimatly hurts the dog. Youd probably do best using the universal slicker, and the dog would be more comfortable as well. When your brushing, especially this time of the year, when dogs are blowing thier coat, try not to concentrate to much in one spot, as this can cause whats called brush burn, it is painful to the dog, and usually goes un noticed by the owner, until the irritation causes the dog to bite and lick and chew, forming a hot spot. If your looking to get more undercaot out, with minimal brushing, try an undrcoat rake. There are two types, one for smooth coated breeds that has shorter teeth, and one for coated breeds that has longer teeth. Using one cuts back on a lot of brushing. But ya need to be careful with them as well, just as with the slicker, ya dont want to work to much for to long in one area. All in all, a good slicker brushing about twice a week is about all you really need to use for a collies coat. Hope he starts back enjoying the brushing, as it is always a very pleasant bonding time for you and your dog.

I'm working at desentising Rhiw to brushing. He's never liked it especially on his sides for some reason. Maybe I'd hurt him without realising it by overbrushing :rolleyes: I'm using a two sided brush - pins on one side clothes brush like bristles on the other.

I also used one of those metal rake type tools last year but stopped when I realised that brushing with one hand while holding his collar with my other hand was giving him static shocks! No wonder he hated it.

Just building up gently at the moment with lots of praise and treats. MAy even look at one of those furminator tools.

Anyone know if you can spin dog hair into wool? There's enough for a whole range of jumpers!

Delta is really funny about grooming time, has hated it all her life. However, she absolutely loves the slicker brush and will push the other dogs out of the way if Im trying to brush them. Slickers dont do a great deal though, other than make her all shiny. I tried the furminator which worked well but she absolutely hated it, and then someone suggested a Mars Coat King. Well, I have finally found something she loves even more than the slicker :rolleyes: She will stand there for as long as my arms can handle, then give me a dirty look when I tell her my arms are too tired to continue. I filled 3 bins with hair the first time I used it on her.

I have a Kong Zoom Groom rubber brush. But since it's rubber I thought it might shock him if I brush him to much. But I'll give it a try. I guess I never really thought about the pin brush hurting since I like it :rolleyes:

I have a kong zoom groom I use at my shop. I use it on wet and dry dogs, and its the best 5.00 grooming tool Ive ever invested in. I love it, and the dogs enjoy it too. Try using it in a circular motion on dry coats and watch the hair fly! Great little hunk of rubber, and safe no matter how ya use it!

• 4 weeks later...

With Annie (a LONG-haired rough-coat), I first use an undercoat rake (with blunted pins). I then follow this with a pin brush, but do not press hard, the pin brush is applied softly and used solely to remove any surface hair left over from the rake, as well as to smooth out the coat. Annie does not seem to mind this part of the cleaning routineroutine; what she is NOT enthused about is the ear cleaning (cleaning the insides of the ears with Malacetic wipes), tooth brushing, and eye drops that follow...

With Annie (a LONG-haired rough-coat), I first use an undercoat rake (with blunted pins). I then follow this with a pin brush, but do not press hard, the pin brush is applied softly and used solely to remove any surface hair left over from the rake, as well as to smooth out the coat.

This is the same routine I have for my Sheltie (long, thick, rough coat) and Quinn (medium coat). The other thing that helps is bathing will loosen up dead hair and make grooming much easier. In 10 years of living with Shelties I have never dealt with blowing coat because, as a groomer once commented, I don't give the coat anything to blow.

Never tried the Kong brush but I need to check into that.

Back to the question of why Black Jack is suddenly acting like being groomed hurts him… Not sure what his back issue is, but I've sometimes seen my dogs lower their backs just a bit as I brushed. If he is doing that, it may be putting a strain on his back. Or if he is just sore in general, he may not feel like putting up with a level of discomfort that before he found negligible. I guess I'm a bit confused about why he needs to be on meds in order to do agility.

Poke thinks the brush is EVIL. We finally have gotten him to come up to the brush and we can get a swipe here and there but not often. His bad attitude now has made Ceana not like brushing. I worked so hard for her to love it as a pup and it is all undone like that. LOL. They aren't scared of the vaccume... maybe I will just try the hose attachment for shedding.

It wasn't until last year I found the undercoat rake. Curly was itching and boom he got a hot spot. For years I bragged that Curly didn't shed that much...well turns out the slicker I had been using for 4+ years wasn't doing the job. I googled hot spots and read about damp undercoats being a culprit. That day he had spent a lot of time in his stock tank (pool) in and out and I kinda dried him but not well enough. I purchased the rake and after he was all better (domeboro powder and peroxide fixed him) I began raking...and found an entire other dog I didn't know existed. It was this fine, kinda fuzzyish fur and lots of it.

Both dogs tolerate the grooming but with both it involves administering food. Let's make deal time.

We couldn't agree more~!

As do we :rolleyes:

As far as the meds for agility, I had been giving him Cosiquin (sp?) for his back. The vet checked him out before and said he was fine as long as he didn't seem to be in pain while doing it. But I have quit giving them to him for now.

Maggie hates pin and slicker brushes - we've had way more success with rubber curry brushes like the Zoom Groom and a knockoff version of the Furminator.

Cody also hates pin and slicker brushes. He tries to escape if he sees them. But he LOVES the Furminator. I have a "real" one -- it's pricey but it works great and he will run over to me and sit/lay down immediately. It's worth it!

If you buy one, get it at a Petsmart, Petco or other large chain. This way no questions asked if you return it for whatever reason, if it's within their time frame for returns. Smaller, privately owned stores may not offer that same return policy, especially on used grooming tools.

Cody is 50 lbs. and we use the Medium size.

I use the pin brush and the softer bristle brush (the 2-in-1) and Misty loves being brushed. I don't brush hard when I use the pinny side and I use the softer bristle brush on her ears, face, neck and belly. All her sensitive parts. In fact, when I use the pinny side, it tickles her. She likes it, but it's funny to watch! LOL Good Luck!