BC Boards

Odd fixations

Patty Abel

My new foster dog watches TV. and barks at it. If the TV is not on he will fixate on the pattern of the oriental style carpet in the room. and bark. Looking out a window brings on the same. When he's outside, it's his shadow that vexes him. Poor dog. He is frantic when the car is in motion, crated or not, covered or not. When he's on lead he pays no attention to handler.

He seems deaf , but appears to hear my husband sneeze and other "odd" noises. Sadly, this dog was an unaltered stray...hate to think of the genes he passed around. What a package! Any thoughts?

Fynne was like that when I got her. Just give him time, exercise, and challenge his mind and he will eventually get better. I found that teaching Fynne some self-control was key in helping her. I'd imagine his prior life was lacking so it's good that he has a chance with you to learn that there's another way before moving on to his next (hopefully forever) family. Time, structure, and meeting his needs are your solution though, and a great deal of patience!

A dog that fixates on something needs something else to focus on. Spend time teaching him new tricks and stimulating/challenging his mind and give him plenty of exercise! Also, try and develop a routine with him, so he is able to predict things such as training and play time and the times when he should just chill out. A lot of time and patience will really help this dog, just take things slow :rolleyes:

Good luck!