BC Boards

Best rawhide for clean teeth?

Miztiki

I can't afford to feed the dogs raw anymore and they are getting some tartar build-up on their teeth, Boy more than Fynne. I am aware of the choking/digestive hazards of rawhide and they only eat it under close supervision, but I wondered what shape is best for cleaning teeth.

There are square flat chips, rolled "bones", and pressed "bones". Which does the best job of scraping teeth?

I hope you're all doing well. Life is very good here!

Miz

I like to give mine compressed rawhide. It lasts longer and they cant just gnaw off the ends, and big hunks, they gotta just work it down. I give em the 8 inch bone shaped ones.

I've started using Bullysticks* instead of rawhide because the Bullysticks are digestible. They're gross, but they seem to be safer and really do a good job keeping the teeth clean. And the dogs love them.

*also known as Bullwinkles and I think, pizzlesticks

Rawhide gives one of my dogs diarrhea. In the process of making a rawhide they use some chemicals to tan it - it really is a piece of skin that becomes leather-like in manufacturing. The making of it is not regulated and in some places the preservative is arsenic. There are other dangers. Once rawhide is swallowed it absorbs water and swells. One of my friends' dogs got a bowel obstruction from swallowing large pieces of an ancient rawhide the dog found in the yard. Around here that's a $2000 surgery.

Bully sticks, tendons, tracheas (moo tubes), and raw meaty rib bones are the things I give my dogs. They care about hooves for the first hour then no more so I don't waste my money any more. If you can't find them locally or you need to compare prices, here is a link to the place I have been ordering. My local prices are 3X as much.

Robin

eta: sorry! Got distracted and left this off: http://www.bestbullysticks.com/

I can't afford to feed the dogs raw anymore and they are getting some tartar build-up on their teeth, Boy more than Fynne. I am aware of the choking/digestive hazards of rawhide and they only eat it under close supervision, but I wondered what shape is best for cleaning teeth.

There are square flat chips, rolled "bones", and pressed "bones". Which does the best job of scraping teeth?

I hope you're all doing well. Life is very good here!

Miz

A good rawhide is a bully stick - it's one piece of the cow (er, bull) so it won't come apart into wet soggy rawhide chunks to choke or impact your dog like regular rawhide.

Pressed sticks (made of tiny pieces smashed together) give me dogs horrible diarrhea.

Most bully sticks are at least $3, often more. I can get good raw bones for much cheaper.

100% raw feeding is best, but many do it halfway (alternating kibble and raw meals) and the dogs do great. How can we help you get back to what worked for your dogs? Where was your greatest expense?

I can't afford to feed the dogs raw anymore and they are getting some tartar build-up on their teeth...

I've variously given Senneca raw-hive "bones" and bully-sticks, but her teeth have never looked cleaner since I got her some dental Kongs. I pop a few treats in them and leave them around as I go to the office. When we went to the vet's last week for her shots, the vet remarked how clean her teeth were.

I think bones are way cheaper than rawhide toys. To really get a good cleaning effect you have to feed rawhide about every other day minimally. My rescues do great with just one or two recreational bones a week. I typically buy pork necks (maybe $4 for a couple pounds), beef rib packs ($8 for a huge pack that feeds everyone - two 6 to 10 inch long ribs each), beef shank cross cuts, whole calf feet or pigs' feet, and if I can find a good deal on beef soup bones I'll get those.

Thanks for the replies. I got some of the square chips on sale the other week and I'm seeing some tarter chipping off here and there. They'll get parts and pieces to chew on during deer season but that won't be until fall. Things should be looking up quite substantially next year so I'll just do what I can until then to keep those teeth clean. I think those pressed bones a couple times each month are probably the best for scraping teeth as far as rawhide goes. RMB's and the like just aren't feasible for me right now.

Mr. Tiki is coming up to visit in a few weeks and then he'll be able to post pics and vids of the dogs (my computer is messed up so I can't). They are absolutely loving it out here (me too!) and we are really anxious for spring. There is so much to see and do here in the country and we're just loving every minute of it!

Take care all,

Miz

I think bones are way cheaper than rawhide toys. To really get a good cleaning effect you have to feed rawhide about every other day minimally. My rescues do great with just one or two recreational bones a week. I typically buy pork necks (maybe $4 for a couple pounds), beef rib packs ($8 for a huge pack that feeds everyone - two 6 to 10 inch long ribs each), beef shank cross cuts, whole calf feet or pigs' feet, and if I can find a good deal on beef soup bones I'll get those.

I give both of my dogs beef neck bones from the local grocery store. No risk of choking and their teeth are pearly white.

They love them.