BC Boards

Ugh....how much longer can I do this?

Get the book "A Dog Year" John Katz (I know ironic isn't it!) and you can read about some horrendous close calls as well as laughter, tears and a darn good read.

Good luck and keep in touch. BTW John Katz is a dog trainer

To get the full picture of Katz's erratic approach to training and its subsequent success, keep reading his other books including "A Good Dog" in which his poor, confused Border Collie doesn't act like a placid lab. Katz refuses to manage him better and instead puts his "lifetime dog" to sleep, then takes comfort from an animal psychic that it was what the dog wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
BTW John Katz is a dog trainer

Im sorry, but...HUH!!! :D

Im sure that comment will certinly bring down the house around here! Things like that are just about like saying Swafford is a great breeder of fine working dogs!

also a damn fine writer and there are some scary but well ended stories about Devon his schoolbus chasing dog. He also had another trainer that helped him out. Was just of general interest. :rolleyes:

BTW John Katz is a dog trainer

Im sorry, but...HUH!!! :D

Im sure that comment will certinly bring down the house around here! Things like that are just about like saying Swafford is a great breeder of fine working dogs!

also a damn fine writer and there are some scary but well ended stories about Devon his schoolbus chasing dog. He also had another trainer that helped him out. Was just of general interest. :rolleyes:

there are some scary but well ended stories about Devon his schoolbus chasing dog.

That story actually didn't have a "good ending" - I take it you didn't read, A Good Dog, where he turned Devon's small problems (ha-ha, good for laughs), into big problems, mightily inconveniencing Katz, and leading to his decision to kill Devon. You know, for his own good. Devon's own good. Devon told him so, at the end. Ha, ha, very funny, right? Devon was a laugh a minute right until he became more trouble than he was worth to Katz.

Patricia McConnell, also an owner of Border Collies and a very good (and educated) animal behaviorist, has some terrific books that I find to be a wonderful combination of fair (she calls it benevolent) leadership skills, and positive shaping, to address both basic manners and behavioral issues. You can find all her materials here: Dog's Best Friend Training - link.

I just wanted to add, Haleigh, that in your case of renting, it is possible to work something out with the landlord! I rent a home now and I know that I really wanted a dishwasher, my landlord offered to pay half. That way, when I finish my lease, he can keep the dishwasher and get some extra value on the home. Maybe your parents can work something out like this with your landlord, fences really boost value on a home and he may be willing to pitch in some money to ensure that he gets it, you know?

Hope to hear an update!