BC Boards

Ugh....how much longer can I do this?

On fridays, I get home from school at about 3 and I have to leave at 5 to go to my moms. I was late getting home, about 3 30, and I still had chores to do before my moms, so I took Joy outside to play frisbee for a couple minutes.

We have a huge yard. The only issue, is it's not fenced, and it backs up to a busy road. It has a hill in the back, so Joy doesn't see the cars. I can usually take her out off leash with out incidence. Since I didn't have time to watch her off leash, I put her on her super long line. We were playing for a good half hour when I saw people coming on their bikes. Joy doesn't really mind bikers, but I started walking over there to grab the end. Right as I was about to get it, Joy noticed the bikers and went after them. Luckily, dad wasn't working, because he heard me screaming.

Joy was an inch from being hit. If the woman didn't slow down because she was checking on her kid, Joy wouldn't be here right now. I called her, but she was so focused on the bikers she prolly didn't hear me. She was nearly half a mile away from our house when dad came in the truck. I motioned him over where Joy was heading, and I sat down trying to catch my breath. I swear, that was the best workout I got all winter!

What got me up and sprinting again was seeing someone brake so suddenly and jump out and running to the front of their car. I thought for sure Joy had been hit! Luckily, they saw her running and stopped...on her long line :rolleyes: We were able to get her back in the car and back home.

I've never been this scared in my life! My legs are still feeling shaky when I look at her. She was inches from being hit more then 5 times in the year we've had her. What can I do?! I'm thinking I need to switch my ways and (oh Gosh!) get an e-collar for her. I hate to do it, but I think it's necessary to possibly save her life. I'm at a complete loss. What happens if this happens again and she does get hit?

She was inches from being hit more then 5 times in the year we've had her.

I sympatize because I have no fence either, but that said, I don't understand why you would repeatedly allow your dog to find itself in a near-death situation? If your dog's recall is not 100% and you live near a road, you either need to hold onto the long line, build a fence or find alternative places to exercise her. It is not her responsibility to stay safe, it is OUR responsibility as owners/guardians to keep our dogs safe.

That must've been so frightening! Honestly, the only suggestion I can give is to invest in a fence. You're backing up to a busy street and with summer approaching, you're going to want to be outside more and more playing frisbee and bikers are going to be prominent.

I wish you luck, and hope you never find yourself in another situation like this. Glad to hear that Joy is alright!

K.

I'm glad Joy wasn't hit but honestly cannot understand why she was loose in the yard; you've mentioned in previous posts how your yard backs up to traffic. Before my yard was fenced, my Aussie played frisbee on a very long line that was attached to my waist and I learned to throw within the length of the long line. If she's come within inches of being hit 5 times in one year, you need to figure out a better plan.

Barb S

If the dog is not absolutely 100% solid on a recall or a down, whenever, wherever you tell her, then you are simply setting her up to get killed. It's up to you to make sure you don't put her in a position where she can get harmed. If you can't put up a fence, then find another way/place to exercise her. You have to control the situation, and never set her up so that she has the option to do the wrong thing (i.e., go in the street).

A

I agree with what the others have said. I would never play with Sophie off leash in an unfenced area near streets (or bike paths) because her recall is not 100 percent the first time. I have only had a fenced backyard for the past year and a half--for the six and a half years of Sophie's life before I lived here, I exercised her and let her off leash only in an enclosed area or well within natural open space. Actually, I would not even play with Taz or Craig in an environment near traffic even though they have solid recalls. You just never know when something unexpected could happen. Why chance it? The risk of being hbc is nowhere near the reward of convenience.

Fencing doesn't have to cost big bucks; see if you can put up metal fence posts and stock fencing around the yard. This is probably what i will do when i find a house to rent if it doesn't already have a fence.

One of my girls has been hit by a car before due to a crappy recall off rabbits; the $1000 vet bill even though she was only bruised (and the mental anguish too) cured me of ever dropping a longline near cars, no matter how safe I think we are - Maggie escaped out of a fenced area by crawling under a 4" gap in the fencing.

Doctor Phil: “If you keep on doing what you're doing, you're going to keep on getting what you're getting."

Unfortunately, many of us oldsters can see the logical ending to this story unless something changes. We've seen these kinds of patterns happen and end sadly.

I worry that if something does happen to Joy, you'll feel a lot of guilt about it - guilt that you probably don't deserve, because you're young, and your parents should probably handle this. But you can take the responsibility for being sure you hold the long line when you are out with Joy.

Mary

Halieigh,

You have my complete sympathy. What others have said is right ("never off leash without 100% recall unless in fenced area"), but it can be very hard to figure out how to manage your dog that way, especially when you are not the one in charge of deciding where you live and how much is spent on things like fencing vs other family budget items.

Consider this option for a low cost way to fence a part (or all) of your yard. You don't need a place to leave Joy unattended, just a place you can play and train her, and I think this would work fine for that:

Best Friend Fence

This is basically fencing that people put up to keep deer out of their yard or garden, but this company has specifically packaged and marketed it as dog fencing. It's much cheaper than most other kinds of fence, much easier to install, and much less visually obtrusive.

WE can't fence the yard because we're renting.

The thing that's so weird is that the people who were biking were across the street. People on our side don't affect her. So that's why I wasn't as concerned. The other times she was almost hit is because no matter how times I've come close to beating them up (half-joking, there) my step brothers won't close the front door. The bichon doesn't walk out of the house, so they don't think twice about leaving the door cracked. I've worked really hard on her waiting before doors, and I taught her how to close the door, so if the leave the door open Jo'y closes it for me.

Can you not fence the yard because landlord forbids or because your parents don't want to invest in something that isn't on their own property? If the latter, I suggest you go to Home Depot, Lowes, or any big lumberyard type store near you and cost out how much it would run you to get posts and plastic mesh to surround a reasonable size play area. For your purpose, it doesn't have to be a secure enough fence to leave a dog alone in, just secure enough that you can play with Joy safely in your yard. It doesn't cost very much, and you can get green mesh that is not visually intrusive. But you can't keep playing with Joy with no leash or lead when you've already gotten a sense of what could happen.

Haleigh, what you have to realize is that Joy likely will run into the street again...the next time a bike goes by, or the next time after that, or a week or a month from now...or maybe when a runner, or a plastic bag goes by...or who knows. But if she can do it once, she can do it again.

It's great to be able to play frisbee in the yard with her...but it's not worth losing her over, right? If she runs into the street again, she could be hit and killed. That's about as final as it gets. I know you are crazy about her...and I know you don't want to lose her. I do think you need to adjust your expectations. You don't have a dog that can play in the yard off leash when there's a busy street nearby. And your brothers need to get with the program and close the dang door!!!

I like the idea of a really long line attached to your belt anytime you're out in the yard with her. Or put up a temporary fence along the street. If you want to go off leash completely, go find a fenced dog park or school yard nearby and do it there. Just my input. I'm giving it because I've lost a dog before her time once...and it really sucks.

Good luck figuring out what to do...

You need to fence your yard. A high fence that she can not jump over. Have your parents talk to the landlord about fencing the yard. Most landlords will not mind because it adds value to the property. Your parents will probably need to pay for the fence. From your posts it sounds like she has come close to being hit on several occasions.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.

I don't have much to add but to echo the statements already made. She has escaped before and she will again.

A few years ago I was playing ball with Missy near a quiet road at the place where I worked. We had lots of grassy area to play in away from the road but, as chance would have it, on one throw the ball bounced the wrong way and rolled down the hill across the road and. Missy right was behind it of couse. She ran across the road and grabbed her ball and then I saw a car coming. I was probably 100 ft away, but yelled "down" and she dropped to the ground. If she did not have a rock solid "down" she could have been hit very easily. And this was near a quiet road that I thought we were plenty far away from. I was a bit shaky after that.

Life happens in a flash, and you have to be 110% sure that you have control over your dog to keep her safe and you from being heartbroken.

Joy was an inch from being hit. If the woman didn't slow down because she was checking on her kid, Joy wouldn't be here right now.

Sorry, more scolding.

In this scenario it is not Joy that I would worry about. Many people get into serious accidents trying to avoid hitting loose dogs. I know that you wouldn't want an injured mother and child on your conscience. Your parents would certainly not want the lawsuit, either.

When I lived w/ an unfenced yard my Border collie was never, ever loose in it.

Haleigh, another thing you might consider is taking Joy to a baseball field, dog park, school yard (after school of course) or other fenced in area near your house. This would enable Joy to play safely and give you a chance to work on her recall.

Alaska, thanks for posting that link for the Best Friends Fence. It looks economical and not that hard to install. Has anyone here actually tried to install one? I'm wondering how hard it is to drive those stakes in the ground. I would love to be able to install a traditional fence, but I'm also renting and not allowed to put up a fence (fortunately, I'm in a fairly rural area). In my situation, it's because the owner pays for lawn care and doesn't want them to have to go inside the fence. I might ask them if they would let me install the fence if I agree to take care of the lawn. I like that the Best Friends fence can be removed and used again. That way, if you're renting, you can take it with you if you move. The other option I have is an electronic fence, which the landlord has said is okay. Haleigh, you might ask your parents to check with the landlord and see if there is any wiggle room on an electronic fence or temporary fence like the Best Friends Fence.

Good luck! I hope you can find a solution that works for you and Joy.

Given your situation as a teen who is living in a rented home with possible zoning restrictions, I can see how fencing may not be a possibility, period.

If you decide to go with an e-collar, please have someone who is experienced and skillful show you how to use it. Used improperly, it can lead to additional issues or just be ineffective. And they are not 100% guarantee against the behavior you don't want. A couple of years ago, I saw a beautiful husky killed when it ran in front of a pick up as it chased a squirrel across the road. The poor driver had no time to react. As the owner carried the dying dog off to take to the vet (the dog died on the way), I noticed its e-collar. I don't know if the batteries were out or the dog learned to run through the shock.

I think the "screw in the ground" suggestion from Shadow's mom may be your best bet to keep Joy safe and alive.

Joy is a young dog and you have worked hard with her. This is not to take away from all she has learned, but she needs to learn a whole lot more given her living situation. From your previous posts, she has a bunch of work to do on control issues and reactivity. Since she has repeatedly taken off on you or your family, you know she is not trustworthy. Don't keep hoping she'll be on her best behavior. Instead, imagine her being on her worst and not give her the opportunity to engage in dangerous, potentially deadly behaviors.

If she bolts out of doors, train her to "respect" doors and only go out on permission. This could well be ongoing training. Quinn at 3, occasionally needs a quick refresher on "You don't get out of the car until I say you get out of the car." Most of the time, he's golden. Once in a while he's not and we revisit how exiting a car works. He sulks a bit. I don't care because I want him safe and with me for as long as possible.

Joy needs to learn "You don't get out of the house until you are given permission." Then you need to keep practicing with her and checking to make sure she understands and train some more when it seems she doesn't. Forget about training tricks or agility skills. Make control your top priority with her.

In addition, you may well need to keep Joy with you at all times so you can stop her from escaping or else keep her contained in another room or crate when you can't be physically there to control her. Whether or not your step brothers are thoughtless about doors, Joy is still your responsibility to make sure she is well behaved or else safely contained.

Do some brain storming about where you can safely exercise Joy since a dog park isn't the answer given her reactivity. A public fenced in area like Ripley suggests or if you can find someone who will let you use their yard -- but make sure to tell them if Joy is hard on lawns. And of course always pick up after your dog no matter where you go. That goes a long way to you and she being welcomed or at least tolerated.

To sum up, you need to control her and teach her self-control. Joy sounds like a lovely, smart, talented girl but far too often she is not under your control and you are headed towards tragedy. As Maralynn points out, things happen in a flash. You can't go back and redo those awful moments that will stay with your for the rest of your life and may bring Joy's life to an untimely end.

Please don't decide after a couple of days of Joy being a good girl, that this issue is behind you. Your posts over the past few months have painted a picture of a dog who is at risk of being seriously hurt or killed. Accept Joy for who she is right now -- a young reactive dog who needs to learn a lot more control -- and act accordingly for both your sakes.

Im sorry, but I dont think the the young lady in question here is the one that needs to be reminded of things, as much as it is the "parent" that "allowed" her to have the dog to start with, that needs to be made aware that since "they" allowed the girl to have the dog, it is "thier" responsibility to see to it that it had all the proper fences, feed, money for vet bills ect, before the dog ever came into the family. This dogs in danger, not really as a product of Haleigh's lack of concern, after all, she is just a child, still a minor, dependant on her parents to take care of her and her needs, so I think her dad needs to get on the ball, and since he has allowed her to have the dog, set up a proper outlet for her and ger dog to remain safe.

However, Haliegh, you know you cant call the dog back, so you know your going to have to just keep her leashed until such a time as you can get your parents to understand that they need to support you in your efforts to keep you and your dog safe. What happens when you are so focused on catching your dog, that YOU dont see the car coming and get yourself hit!!?? This is very sad, that parents wouldnt think through the needs of the dog before getting it.

haleigh I empathize with you and agree with many. Landlords like good fences. There are fence rental places under construction fences. I put up a fence at our house for Katie, the best dog I ever had, at a considerable cost then someone left the gate open. Katie NEVER chased cars, bikes etc but she chased 1 which had a dog in the back she did not like and that was that. Return on fence investment $0. Broken heart another story.

I also agree Joy needs a rock solid down; before anything else and that seems to be a much better investment. It would not have mattered with Katie as no one saw her leave the yard.

How much does Joy weigh and then how much do you weigh. If you tie a strong dog to you it could take you down though you would slow her down.

Get the book "A Dog Year" John Katz (I know ironic isn't it!) and you can read about some horrendous close calls as well as laughter, tears and a darn good read.

Good luck and keep in touch. BTW John Katz is a dog trainer

This dogs in danger, not really as a product of Haleigh's lack of concern, after all, she is just a child, still a minor, dependant on her parents to take care of her and her needs, so I think her dad needs to get on the ball, and since he has allowed her to have the dog, set up a proper outlet for her and ger dog to remain safe.

I agree. Unfortunately, her father isn't the one writing on these boards or asking for advice. I have no idea what opinions Haleigh's father holds, but not every parent feels the same way we do about dogs and adults taking ultimate responsibility for them.

In the meantime, Haleigh is the one we can talk to and try to offer viable suggestions. Not because it is ideal but because that is the set-up here for a teen and the dog she loves very much.

BTW John Katz is a dog trainer

Im sorry, but...HUH!!! :rolleyes:

Im sure that comment will certinly bring down the house around here! Things like that are just about like saying Swafford is a great breeder of fine working dogs!