BC Boards

Aspirin - my dog ate at least 20 pills tonight !!!!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. I hope it turns out ok. I'm praying for you.

My fear is that aspirin tends to make blood clot less. (I am not allowed to take aspirin because my blood already doesn't want to clot). So I'm wondering if you have to worry about that. Or maybe charcoal will help with that. Anyone know?

Please keep us updated.

You should be able to get it at a pharmacy. If it's not on the shelf, ask behind the pharmacy counter. It's now recommended to have this around for kids, along with the ipecac. Never use it, however, without a call to Poison Control - they can tell you whether to induce vomiting right away, or whether it's safer to use the AC.

Best wishes, Ouzo!

I have heard recommendations for keeping activated charcoal on hand for just such an emergency. Does anybody do this, and if so where would one find it to purchase?
Yes, I do. I'm a worry wart, so I have an extensive emergency kit including activated charcoal, ipecac, hydrogen peroxide for vomiting and wounds, hemostats, Sterile saline for wound and eye flushes, betadine, bandages, gauze, blunt tweezers,surgical scissors, honey stix for shock, a mylar thermal blanket, benadryl, surgical tape, thermomter, KY jelly, and probably a bunch of other stuff, plus a dog emergency guide with instructions on how and when to use this stuff. I feel prepared. I found all this stuff at the drug store and I am glad i have it on hand. I have already used it on several occasions for minor issues like beestings, foreign object in eye, lacerations and bite wounds.

Originally posted by Willikers:

quote:
Yes, I do. I'm a worry wart, so I have an extensive emergency kit I am printing this list out and taking it to the store with me. Thanks.

PS--Gee, I'd sure want you around in an emergency!

Edited to add:

Is the charcoal something that a dog would willingly ingest, if not, how would one go about using it in an emergency?

I believe it's something called activated charcoal. BTW, my brother the paramedic warns against ipecac. Seems that it induces vomiting, which can be more harmful than just ingesting the poison.

According to Wikipedia:

"The typical adult dosage is 25-50 grams. Pediatric dosages are 12.5-25 grams. Incorrect application to children (e.g., to the lungs) will usually result in a fatality if immediately unchecked. For pre-hospital use, it comes in plastic tubes or bottles, commonly 12.5 or 25 grams, pre-mixed with water. The trade names include InstaChar, SuperChar, Actidose, and Liqui-Char, but it is commonly called simply Activated Charcoal."

It apparently can also be obtained in capsule form, but I understand that a slurry will have a quicker benefit, since the activated charcoal acts by adsorbing chemical poisons, binding them so they cannot be digested and ultimately enter the bloodstream.

As for Ipecac or anything else that induces vomiting, you have to know what was ingested so as not to cause more harm by bringing it back up. For example, if your pet or child swallows a caustic substance (say, a drain opener), you could do more damage to the esophagus and mouth by causing them to vomit that back up, but if they ingested rat poison, it's not harmful to the tissues it touches (but can be fatal if absorbed through the GI tract), so the best course of action there would be to cause the animal or child to vomit.

In other words, *know your poison* before considering administering an antidote. In fact, the safest thing to do is immediately call a poison control center and then follow their advice (as others posted at the beginning of this thread).

J.

Just to let you guys know if you need to make your dog vomit right away you can use a peroxide and salt mixture. (Ask you vet for how much to use depending on the size of your dog. You can't really poison them with the peroxide so it doesn't matter as much as you would think but it mich be more than you think so make sure to ask.)

The reason I know this (besides being a vet tech for many years) is that my little Italian Grehound ate a large dogs painkiller the other day. I used about 1cc of salt and about 2cc's of peroxide and squirted that stuff into his mouth so he would swallow it.

About 7 seconds later he vomited everything back up in one big sweep of foam. The salt really makes it foam up!

I searched through the the foamy vomit found the pill and he was back to normal!

I did add quite a bit of pro-biotics to his food over the next couple days to make up for the peroxide killing averything it touched while in his stomach.

Poor little guy!

I doubt a dog will willing drink/eat activated charcoal - which is why they force it down their throats through a tube inserted most of the way down their esphoagus.
That's a stomach tube. I've got one of those, too. :rolleyes: But I wouldn't advise trying to use one without a good bit of practice.

To administer liquids, you can take a syringe (which you also need in your kit), draw up what you need, and very carefully dribble it into the back of the mouth, while watching to make sure there is swallowing going on. Activated charcoal is not good to get in the lungs so you do have to be careful, but chances of doing that to an adult are slim. Puppies are another story but I'd just take a puppy to the vet do not pass go do not collect $200.

Maggie ate a frog or something that didn't agree with her the other day, and while she was refusing to eat, I administered honey in this way. Honey is very good for dogs that aren't eating, unless obviously there is a diabetic problem. A dog that isn't eating won't take anything off the spoon, but she seemed to enjoy having it fed to her from the syringe.

I also do my worming this way, since I use a liquid (because my dogs are exposed to so much that Interceptor, etc doesn't catch).

I've used the hydrogen peroxide (no salt) a couple of times, once when Riley ate his entire Rx of Deramaxx (vomitted about half of it up and it was just some gunky brown stuff, blood tests turned out fine) and the other time was when he ate one of my baby's diapers. Actually, he does this all the time, tears them up and eats part if I leave them out, but this one time he ingested a LOT. And it all came back up.

Riley now knows the smell of hydrogen peroxide and will not willingly drink it. I have to use a syringe and squirt it down his throat.

When Riley was younger he decided to taste the latex paint I was using to paint my kitchen cabinets. I called the regular poision control number (NOT the animal one) which was free and after giving them the brand, etc of the paint the were able to tell me exactly how much he would have had to injest before it would be a problem (according to his body weight). It was quite a bit actually, no where near the couple of licks he got.

So keep the regular poison control number on hand, as well!

Anda ~ Prayers for Ouzo and hugs for you. Sorry you are having to go through this.

I had one BC that would go after anything chocolate. Cupcakes for my son's class - yum. Hershey's Dark Chocolate minatures left on the dining room for company - 20 gone in the blink of an eye. Someone gave us chocolate candy for x-mas tin container that was taped and wrapped which DH put under the tree - just heard the rustling (DH learned to ask if a gift is a food item before putting anywhere a dog can get it). My experience with hydrogen peroxide to get dogs to vomit, based on my vet's advice, is just give it to them straight. Keep giving it at 20 minute intervals until they vomit. I've never had to dose more than twice and it always works. I had never heard of mixing it with salt before. Is this just to get them to vomit faster?

I've been checking in all day for updates. Hopefully, no news is good news.

I suspect Ouzo would eat activated charcoal if he eats aspirins...

I have such a battle to pill any of my beasts.

I really hope he's back to his cute old self very soon.

Originally posted by Jo&Tex:

I suspect Ouzo would eat activated charcoal if he eats aspirins...

Yeah, it's weird about eating aspirin, but I'd think even a dog willing to do that would balk at the charcoal. Years ago, when I worked at a children's home, I took a teen to the ER after she took some sort of OD. A RN gave her the charcoal, then left the room. When the girl began to throw up, I tried to be supportive but when that black stuff starting coming out, I had to leave the room before I fainted. I have a weak stomach for human vomit as it is (the dog version doesn't phase me) and that charcoal was one of the most revolting things I've ever seen.

I also hope Ouzo is doing well.

OK, guys, GOOD NEWS !!!!!

After spending the day at our regular vet hooked on saline IV, the aspirin-eating genius is back home, pearky as always, with a green bandage around his newly shaven leg (his good one, not the one with the cut paw! Guess now both legs are injured :D ) that's holding his catheter, and he's going back tomorrow morning at 8 AM for another round of IV till 5 PM.

It's been one of the most horible days in my life.

At 7 AM my husband and I went back to the Animal Hospital (emergency clinic) to get him the second dose of activated charcoil. The doctor scared us by saying his gums are kinda pale and "muddy", and that it took 2-3 seconds instead of 2 seconds to regain blood flow in his gums when they were pressed with the finger. That he was a totaly diferent dog this morning than he was last night, more subdued.

It's true, all three of us were dead tired from 2+1 hours of sleep at night. He was kindda grogy, but still playful. The dr. from the emergency clinic then called ASPCA poison control and gave them an update on Ouzo's condition in the morning, and they said to give him IV fluids, which was the plan all along, just at our vet, not at the ridiculosly priced ER.

What scared me most of all was when the Dr. there said that she really hopes this lil' guy will pull through! S*** I thought, if the dr is not showing any confidence he'll be ok, then it must be terrible prognosis.

We left him at our vet from 8 AM till 10.30 when they had an opening, asking the vet technicians to keep a close eye on him, to make sure nothing bad happens. This was the first time ever we left him alone with someone else, in a strange place, so I was worried about it, too. He did great, apparently flirting with all the nurses/technicians Atta'boy! :D

Then I had to go to work, where I was simply good for nothing until my husband picked me up and drove back to the vet for the consult.

Long, long story short: Ouzo was hooked on IV till 5.30 PM, when he emerged from the back room at the vet happy, pulling the tech as if she was on rollerskates, and jumping of joy at the sight of us, and, of course, the sight of his beloved TENNIS BALL! Man, he missed it

He's done with the three doses of activated charcoil - unlike the first dosage from last night, he kept the next two in, and they came out on the other end, proof that there's no blockage, as the emergency vet scarred us that happened.

Thank you from my heart to all of you for your kind words, prayers, encouragements, and most importantly, pertinent information and pushing me to go to the ER right away instead of waiting till next morning. This board might have saved Ouzo's life. (I still fell like adding "What an idiot"! - in a very loving way :rolleyes: )

I will keep you posted on his progress, which now seems much, much brighter.

Oh, btw, we were planning to take him on a long road trip this weekend We might still be able to, if the blood test they'll do on Friday comes out clean and the vet gives us the ok.