BC Boards

Purebred Border Collie?

The thing about the ears is:

The book cover to the first edition of McCaig's original 'Nop's Hope' featured a b&w, rosebud or houndish ears, just like this r&w.

Also the BC Museum included rosebud or short hound ears on BC's up until Winter of 2007--as do many of the documented and recorded illustrations and photo's of working/stock bc's. This is one of those 'fashionable' things amongst bc folks of all stripes. Prick/stand-up ears are "in" of very late; granted that it has always been thought that stand up ears enable dogs to hear better.

If I were to take a guess - I'd say BC mix *AT BEST* - I don't think that's a BC. That dog looks like a spaniel mix, and unless those photos are taken at a really bizarre angle, that dog is really short bodied and has a really big head. And yeah, I have seen some funny looking BCs in my time, but this one doesn't say "border collie" to me too much.

RDM

I was looking at the size of the ear, more over than the shape, I have a drop eared BC and though her ears are shaped some what the same, they arent that big. That size ear says lab to me, but its the head, the top skull and stop that shows me springer. Still, like I said before, it can be anything you want it to be, but its definitly is a good looking dog what ever it is.

Prick ears are certinly a more desirable look for me, but I wouldnt choose a BC by the "fashionable" set of its ears. I have both drop eared and prick eared, and I even have one that cant make up her mind what kind of ears she wants to have, so one is up and one is down, and I think they all hear just the same.

The book cover to the first edition of McCaig's original 'Nop's Hope' featured a b&w, rosebud or houndish ears, just like this r&w.

To me, rosebud and hound ears to be two completely different ear sets.

This is what I would consider to be rosebud ears ... tiny, bent almost backwards, can offer quite a bit of expression.

2crklt3.jpg2re37eb.jpg

(This is my ex-husband's dog, Rain, when she was young.)

This is what I would consider to be hound ears:

nduaee.jpg

(That's Jag -- my 10 year old rescue purebred mix dog.)

I agree with Sheena ... Spaniel mix of some sort. Pretty dog, though.

Jodi

Please excuse my ignorance. What are ILP papers?

Georgia

ILP stands for Indefinite Listing Privilege. I think it's about to change to PAL - Purebred Alternative Listing. Anway, you take two pictures of your dog - front and side - fill out an application and send the AKC $35.00. The ILP/PAL committee reviews the application and pictures and decides if your dog is purebred. If so, you get a number that allows you to compete in AKC performance events - like agility and obedience - but not conformation. You must provide proof the dog has been spayed/neutered.

Those who don't believe in supporting the AKC can of course register with other organizations that offer the same competitions, as suggested by the posters above. :rolleyes: