BC Boards

Examples of BC intelligence

Kate my old agility girl and I were playing around on the equipment with a friend and her shelties before class one morning. Kate went up the teeter, just as she got to the balance point and it started to drop (she loves to BANG! it down) one of the shelties wandered under the teeter. Kate immediately pivoted on her hindquarters moving back to the lower end of the teeter enough to stop it from creaming the sheltie. As soon as the sheltie got out of the way Kate finished the teeter and went about her business as if it was nothing.

Neither my friend nor I could believe what we'd seen as it was clearly an example of seeing what was happening, realizing the consequences, and doing something to change the outcome before I could even form the words of what to do.

Suzanne

Kate my old agility girl and I were playing around on the equipment with a friend and her shelties before class one morning. Kate went up the teeter, just as she got to the balance point and it started to drop (she loves to BANG! it down) one of the shelties wandered under the teeter. Kate immediately pivoted on her hindquarters moving back to the lower end of the teeter enough to stop it from creaming the sheltie. As soon as the sheltie got out of the way Kate finished the teeter and went about her business as if it was nothing.

Neither my friend nor I could believe what we'd seen as it was clearly an example of seeing what was happening, realizing the consequences, and doing something to change the outcome before I could even form the words of what to do.

Suzanne

WOW!!!!! That's not just intelligence but also altruism!!! Amazing....

Well, I think border collies are the worlds smartest dogs. Look at sheepdog work. They figure out clockwise from counter clockwise, they learn whistles, in agility, they know the meaning of tunnel, walk-it, climb. In obedience, they know how to sniff out a dumbell and exceed in every sport (except maybe hunting) They make such great SAR dogs.

Now onto my story- Usher is a service dog, firstly- he knows when I am going to have a bad day, before I do. Luckily, they aren't very frequent, but when they hit, they hit pretty hard. He will stand on my bed when I rest, over me-kind of straddle me and stare at me so I don't fall out of bed. He will stand there all day, won't go for food, water or ask to go potty. When my mother is around and unsure of her footing he will "brace" himself for her to lean on.

He also knows the name of all of his toys, brings his bowl at dinner time. My pound pup, Bailey, has been on meds since I've had her- I just tell her "open" and she opens her mouth to take her pill. Wish I could have done that with my kids.

Usher must know about 100 words right now at his age. Bailey is learning. She is right now about up to about 30. We are working on that.

Dianne

After showing him once how to make the Staples "That was easy" button work, he will lay there and press and press and press with his paw to hear the words. Over and over again. Do.Not.Buy.This.Thing.For.Your.Border.Collie.

OK, I'm going to have to get one of these now and train the boys to press it during our command time after they do each command!

The last time I took JJ in for his annual check up, they couldn't get a urine sample. The vet suggested I walk him around outside for a little while before leaving to see if he would go. The vet tech walked out with us carrying a container in hopes of catching him. All he would do is walk around and sniff. I finally realized what he was doing and said "JJ, all you're doing is exploring and we don't have time for that. Let's walk back around to the front." Of course, he immediately headed to the front of the building (he always has to lead). When he started sniffing around again, I told him "That's a good spot. Pee-pee there." As I was talking to him, I was reaching for the container at the same time. By the time, I bent over to catch it, he was urining. Granted, a lot of people teach their dogs to urine on command but we have never done that with either of ours. DH & I feel JJ & Jake probably know more words than we realize or give them credit for.

Granted, a lot of people teach their dogs to urine on command but we have never done that with either of ours. DH & I feel JJ & Jake probably know more words than we realize or give them credit for.

So I'm one of those annoying people that taught Skye to pee, poop and shake on command. Of course if she doesnt think she is wet, she wont shake (my apostrophe isnèt working :rolleyes: ) nor would she probably pee if I needed a sample! :D

And yes, I think all you need to do sometimes to get them to learn is suggest it to them...

Ailsa