BC Boards

Careers of Border Collie owners

Yeah, same as everyone else said pretty much. I actually only work two days a week, and only one of those days DH and I both work, so I/we are with our dogs almost all the time, but that doesn't mean we are entertaining them all of that time. I have three, 1 BC and 2 shelties, and they spend a large chunk of the day playing with eachother and another large chunk sleeping or quietly chewing a bone. The dogs get a daily walk, daily short training sessions, a couple times a week off leash at the park playing ball or running. That's about it. I want to teach him to bring things to me, we're working on that, learning the names of things...a friend taught her dog to sort laundry, lights and darks, I'd like to do that too. But my BC is no more demanding than any other breed or mix I've ever had. Actually I'd say My BC is more laid back than my shelties, not as bubbly and bouncy. The main difference between him and my shelties though is that he is more tuned in to everything and aware of subtleties, of mood and language, if that makes any sense.

That's really interesting. I've always suspected that my Sheltie was part border collie way back, she was a lot larger than other shelties and definately not as bouncy. It could have just been the dog, however. Would you say your BC's being "tuned in" carries over to training? Do you notice a difference between your Shelties and your BC when training?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really interesting. I've always suspected that my Sheltie was part border collie way back, she was a lot larger than other shelties and definately not as bouncy. It could have just been the dog, however. Would you say your BC's being "tuned in" carries over to training? Do you notice a difference between your Shelties and your BC when training?

My BC tends to rely more on me during training. My sheltie can blow me off at times. Both are very HIGH drive dogs.. both are quick at everything they do. But Foxy (BC) really focuses big time more on me, and Yoshi (sheltie) tends to want to do his own thing if he thinks he knows what I want him to do. Foxy is more intense, Yoshi is just insane drive. Both totally different working habits. Foxy is more of a joy to train for certain behaviors since she seems more in tune to me. Yoshi can be frustrating to train tricks to, but hes solid as a rock with his basics and his agility. Foxy is a lot more immature than Yoshi ever was, Yoshi was total focused and mature acting as a young puppy, Foxy is crazy all over the place. However, I have liked teaching Foxy things more than Yoshi due to her nature of always wanting to give it a shot. Yoshi tends to be a bit more single minded as he only wants to do one thing and one thing only and that is agility.

I will say that with the Shelties I have worked with, they are lot more soft and take things personally. Foxy lets things roll off her a lot better. Both are great dogs, and my Sheltie rocks and is very fast on course..but I think I am going to stick with BCs for the rest of my dogs :rolleyes:

Videos of Yoshi the Sheltie:

Videos of Foxy the BC:

I think the hardest thing about working outside of the home is leaving my girl behind .She is by my side everywhere at home ,yes I am sure you all experience the sentry by the door when you have a shower or use the bathroom.I work different shifts as I am an RN/midwife so Gypsy never knows when I will be home in the morning or the evening. Whatever time I have to spend with her I do be it walking on beach ,training ,agility, sheep etc to keep her occupied but she is also happy to sleep the day away if there is no time or weather prevents us getting out and about.

Ok so I'm kind of freaked out at some of your jobs. Not the jobs per say but the hours that you spend at them.

I have worked from home for almost 25 years, a real job but at home. A few months ago I got a real job working 45 hrs a week + drive time. I'd get up at 5am so I had time to feed the dogs, then leave at 6:15. Back around 4 to 5pm. I have sheep and have to do the reg. chores each night but geesh...I'm dead tired. I finally gave my 2 weeks notice, not because I didn't like the job but because I was just to tired to enjoy the rest of my life! It didn't help that I was not getting 2 days off in a row so I'd just get rested, skip the house work choosing to work or play with the dogs and have to be back at work the next am.

The job I do at home is a sit down job but I didn't think I was that out of shape. I do all the house hold chores and run our small farm. Fencing is a weekend job but....I just can't stand on my feet 9 hours a day and come home to do more! I guess I'm just spoiled or old!

My dogs hated that I wasn't there for them to prop their heads on while they slept but other than that they haven't been bent out of shape. Really I think they appricated me more when I got home! I have 4 right now that live in the house with me. They sleep while I work and the minute I get up from the table and act like I'm ready to go outside they are at the door waiting but if I don't act like I'm going out they just keep sleeping.

It's not the quanity of time it's the quality of time you spend with your dogs that count!

So...my last day was Sat. I will happily go back to working from home and never wonder again what it's like to have a job outside my home! That is after I get back from a Kathy Knox clinic and seeing my grandbaby this weekend, all in one weekend! I haven't had time to go back home since I started the "outside the house" job and I so miss my grand baby. Kathy will just be icing on the cake!

I applaude all of you who seem to have endless amounts of energy for work, dogs and home! I'm to old to retrain myself so it's back to the kitchen table for me!

BTW to the OP...welcome to the boards, hope you enjoy your dog as much as we all do ours!

Kristen

I notice a difference in all three, and I don't know if it's a breed thing or just an individual dog thing. They are all very smart and get things on the first or second repitition.

The BC's being tuned in does carry over, but not always in a good way. He's very enthusiastic and wants to please me, but I'm a novice and sometimes I confuse him. If I make a hand gesture I wasn't aware of, or say something in a different way, he doesn't know what to do and starts going through a list of tricks, like he's hoping he'll hit on the right one. My BC is also very soft, he can't take any correction without slinking around looking hurt, but then I don't know his past.

My shelties are very different from eachother, one is a "what's in it for me" type and that makes him harder to train. My other sheltie is very easy and we do alot of trick training. He's very technical and not as soft, he wants to get it right as opposed to just pleasing me, like the BC, or getting a reward, like the other sheltie.

I work from home, I'm a web developer. I'm also a mom of 3 active kids that have to be driven to school and then afterschool activities. But all my 3 dogs (2 are BCs) are very laid back. They spend outside time in AM, then a bit of fetch etc in afternoon, then time together outside in evening as weather permits. We squeeze in dog parks when we can (ours is a nice park with few issues). The neighbor BC comes over to play about once a week. I also live on 5 acres, so plenty of space to run. We've done agility, one is just starting flyball classes once a week. They often come with us on road trips.

It really helps that they are all very well trained with nice manners and are all calm don't need my active attention every second. No one would ever call any of my dogs hyper. But be assured that I never go to the bathroom alone :rolleyes:

I work full time, but can bring some dogs with me to work. I haven't been well lately, and had to go to the ER last Sat night. I sat in there from 4- 10 pm. I had two dogs in the car- Lucy and Kylie. I felt very bad for them. GUILT is the word. They were fine, but we headed out to work sheep early the next morning, even though I am still sick. I really try and balance everything well. I really would like to NOT WORK ANYMORE THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Maybe I could just live off the land..... Sell my home, my business, and be done with it. Live "Little house on the Prairie".

But, that was a a big digression! Anyway, I think that dogs need routine. No matter the routine- and as long as they get their fair share in terms of work/mental stimulation, they are just happy to be our mates.

A few months ago I got a real job working 45 hrs a week + drive time. I'd get up at 5am so I had time to feed the dogs, then leave at 6:15. Back around 4 to 5pm. I have sheep and have to do the reg. chores each night but geesh...I'm dead tired. I finally gave my 2 weeks notice, not because I didn't like the job but because I was just to tired to enjoy the rest of my life! It didn't help that I was not getting 2 days off in a row so I'd just get rested, skip the house work choosing to work or play with the dogs and have to be back at work the next am.

The job I do at home is a sit down job but I didn't think I was that out of shape. I do all the house hold chores and run our small farm. Fencing is a weekend job but....I just can't stand on my feet 9 hours a day and come home to do more! I guess I'm just spoiled or old!

*nods in agreement* For me, it's farming and working full-time that's hard - not collies and working full-time. :D And I don't even actually farm - no sheep yet, no crops. Like you, weekends are spent fencing - last year they were spent barn-building. It takes three hours in the morning to feed and hay horses, feed and exercise dogs, and get myself presentable enough so that I don't scare people. :D Then by the time I commute 40 minutes, put in an 8 hr day, and drive 40 minutes back to the farm and feed everyone again it's time for bed so I can get up and do it all over the next day. :D

My young dogs - Faith and Scot - are crated eight hours a day and eight hours at night. No way around it, since if I left those two loose they'd sow destruction. Vi is baby-gated into the crate room while I'm at work and loose in the house at night. Little dogs I leave loose in the house while I'm away at work but crate at night. It doesn't seem to bother any of them - Faith and Scot give each other quite the workout, and Violet gets her exercise stalking and biting them while they play. :rolleyes:

Annie is a 4-year-old BC, and has a high level of energy; Missy is a 14-year-old mixed breed (BC and Belgian Sheepdog), and does not need a lot of exercise. I am a supply chain executive with an aerospace/defense company, and work a full-time job. DW, however, is a homemaker, but has mobility issues. Annie is crated during the day only if DW has to run an errand or babysit the grandkids. During the work week, DW exercises Annie by throwing a ball in the back yard using a lacrosse stick for distance, and playing with her in the house at other times; her mobility issues preclude her from taking Annie for walks. Weather permitting, I walk the dogs in the morning before I go to work, and in the evening when I get home; in the evenings, I also play "bedroom flyball" with Annie. On the weekends (again, weather permitting), we engage in a variety of activities, including hiking and swimming; Annie also goes with me on my rowboat when I go fishing.

I work an eight hour day with a 30 minute commute each way. My dogs are in 10 x 20 runs while I am at work. I don't worry about anyone messing with them while I am gone because there are two other residences and a business where I live, so someone is always there. My dogs are glad to see me when I get home, and they run around like mad when I let them out, but in the house they are very laid back.

*nods in agreement* For me, it's farming and working full-time that's hard - not collies and working full-time. :D ... It takes three hours in the morning to feed and hay horses, feed and exercise dogs, and get myself presentable enough so that I don't scare people. :D Then by the time I commute 40 minutes, put in an 8 hr day, and drive 40 minutes back to the farm and feed everyone again it's time for bed so I can get up and do it all over the next day. :rolleyes:

Thank doG I can work at home most of the time. For me it's about 2.5 hours to do all the morning feeding chores, more this time of year if I go out and find a lamb or two. Forget not scaring people at work--I have to do those chores in the dark on the days I go into the office, and I'm generally pretty proud of myself if I can walk into the office and not be shedding too much hay on the floor (let's not mention the worry about tracking sheep poop), let alone having to worry about whether I'm dressed appropriately and not scary in general....

J.

Thank doG I can work at home most of the time. For me it's about 2.5 hours to do all the morning feeding chores, more this time of year if I go out and find a lamb or two. Forget not scaring people at work--I have to do those chores in the dark on the days I go into the office, and I'm generally pretty proud of myself if I can walk into the office and not be shedding too much hay on the floor (let's not mention the worry about tracking sheep poop), let alone having to worry about whether I'm dressed appropriately and not scary in general....

J.

And do you find it as depressing as I do to have about a week in early March when you can accomlish chores in a little pre-dawn light - only to have to go back to stumbling around in pitch-darkness for another month? Whose bright idea was changing to EDT in March anyw - oh, right.

Never mind. :rolleyes:

How fun it is to hear what every one does for their day job. I reckon Im a tad lucky, I get to take my dogs to work with me every day to a very doggie oriented environment. Theres a big fenced grassy place to run and potty, goats and chickens, geese and ducks, horses, and bunches of other creepy crawlys and critters. And lots of different dogs and people coming and going all day. I have 7 dogs at the moment, so I dont take them all every day. They each have their special day that they get to go, I usually take one or two each day. The others that have to stay home, weather permitting, stay in their kennels outside, rainy days they are indoors in their crates. They get out for a good long run in the morning and evenings, and if we're lucky, some may even get a little sheep work. They know and understand the routine, and are very accepting of it. Just dont try to switch out some bodys get to go to work with mom day, or you'll get the eyes. I think collies thrive on routine, and are happy as long as they know what to expect. At night they all come in for a bit of family time, then supper in their crates and sleepy time. They are all quiet and content, (except Stella, but she's a whole nother ball game) until they get back out in the morning. I think if we werent so habitual in our daily routines, I may have some issues to deal with, but as it is, I dont see that changing anytime soon, so the routine works for my crew.

I'm independent , so I decide my own hours.

At the moment I'm also working in a store while the owners are on holiday.

I mainly choose when and where I work ...it's nice !

So now that we have a puppy I plan on being home more .

He came to pick me up at work today and was very comfortable on the counter , even helped me count the money :rolleyes:

here he is :

2369754518_9cf817979a_b.jpg

With the commute to work, I'm away from home close to 50 hours a week. I work at a mental health agency and can take my dogs with me to one of the offices 2 or 3 days a week. But even though they love to go along with me and Quinn is known for schmoozing with the customers, trying to answer the phone and getting on the computer, he spends most of his day sleeping or lounging around. He gets a potty break around noon (with me at the office or with someone coming to my house), a small snack and sometimes a game of fetch. It's a hard life. :rolleyes:

Quinn is my first BC. He was by far my most challenging puppy until he turned about 6 months old then became my best puppy ever. He was able to be left loose in the house all day at about 21 months, I think. Before that, he had a roomy crate that he still loves but only uses when he needs to shed dirt.

It is important to have a fairly predictable schedule and to offer exercise for both the mind and body. But just because a Border Collie is ready and willing to be on the go all day doesn't mean he needs to be on the go all day. If you get a BC, be sure to teach him how to chill out (also known as an off switch).

I don't think Border Collies are the right dog for the "casual" owner. I can see how they could be seriously messed up in the wrong homes, but they don't have an endless need for exercise and attention. I adore my Shelties, but I've found Quinn to be easier to live with and more fun than any of my other dogs, quite honestly.

I have owned BCs since 1990 and had a full time career as a teacher at the same time; my school is close to home so I could come home at lunch time when e had a new puppy. That said, I'm so excited that I am retiring after 41 years in education. I'm trying to deide what to do "when I grow up". Goose dogs? Obedience training? Just hanging out with our 5 BCs?

Barb s

Hello Everyone,

Let me first say that I am new to these boards and that I am amazed at how insightful the posts on this board are.

While I have never owned a BC I did own a Sheltie, which has allowed me to understand what some posts are discussing better. It's clear that a BC seems to be a "nuclear powered" version of a Sheltie, which carries some additional responsibilities and rewards for the BC owner.

Despite being a marathon runner and someone who is interested in SAR training, I must say that it seems that the needs of a well socialized and cared for BC might be too much for me for the simple fact that I work a 9-5 job at an engineering company. It doesn't seem fair to a Border Collie to be locked in my home or a crate for 8 hours of the day....

So my question to the forum is, what are the careers of BC owners out there and how are you able to give this breed the attention that it needs?

I have owned BCs since 1990 and had a full time career as a teacher at the same time; my school is close to home so I could come home at lunch time when e had a new puppy. That said, I'm so excited that I am retiring after 41 years in education. I'm trying to deide what to do "when I grow up". Goose dogs? Obedience training? Just hanging out with our 5 BCs?

Barb s

Dear All,

Thanks for the posts. It seems that there are a lot of people working regular jobs with border collies which is very encouraging. I think the way to go may be to rescue an adult to avoid the puppy phase. There seems to be a large number of owners crating their dogs. Do you think this is something more prevalent in BC's? Does their intelligence get the better of them? Or is this just common with most breeds where you all live? I live in California and I don't think it's that common... then again I haven't really done a survey.... hmmm...

I work myself about 48-50 hours a week but do it in 4 days and therefor have 3 off. I have a family that lets them out when I am not home and they get attention that way. Simple truth is, I work and then its my dogs. I take martial arts 1-2 times a week but other than that Im home and almost every waking minute is with my dogs. Its not always quantity but quality time IMO. You cant crate them all day long and expect a good dog but they look forward to me coming home, letting them out immediately (whether they have just been out or not), changing clothes and then having fun for the rest of the day. You have to be committed to them and my family is a dog family. That means almost our entire family is centered around them which makes it that much easier and enjoyable for us and them.

There seems to be a large number of owners crating their dogs. Do you think this is something more prevalent in BC's? Does their intelligence get the better of them? Or is this just common with most breeds where you all live?

I crate trained all my dogs for the past 20 some years -- which includes the Border Collie, two Shelties, two Lhasas and a mix breed --- until I'm confident they and my house/furniture/possessions will be safe while I'm gone. The age for that milestone varies from dog to dog.

I am a high school teacher and with a job change I am now only 6mi from my small farm, so sometimes I get to go home on my planning periods and check on the dogs and animals, I also get up early and move the sheep out of the barn and put them in different feilds with the B/C's, My hours are great and getting home in the early afternoon affords me alot of time for farm chores and playing and working with my dogs.

I'm a (human) ER doc, so I have no semblance of a regular schedule. Each day is different - nights, days, weekends, whatever. The dogs don't seem to care as long as the proverbial bacon makes it home. I am finishing up my residency, so my hours will be better come July, and we're moving next week to our 5 acres in the country. :rolleyes: They seem to understand that when mommy comes home at 7am, Sasha gets to sleep with her, but everyone else just waits until she gets up before creating a ruckus.

Husband is enjoying "very-early retirement," as we live pretty comfortably on my income. He'll probably end up working part time in a bait shop or something... he's not a bad househusband, and does much of the house and dog work.

I run with my dogs, and haven't had time to do as much training as I'd like, but hopefully we'll be able to get Miss Zoe into some flyball classes this summer. They love the runs, and I feel bad that I've been neglecting them as I stress out about moving and getting our current home on the market. Having a pack does make it easier. We also have foster dogs to add to the variety. (The current foster is a yellow lab named Trey, because he's an amputee. Lost his leg Christmas eve to a car, but it sure hasn't slowed him down.)

Danielle

*nods in agreement* For me, it's farming and working full-time that's hard - not collies and working full-time. ... It takes three hours in the morning to feed and hay horses, feed and exercise dogs, and get myself presentable enough so that I don't scare people. Then by the time I commute 40 minutes, put in an 8 hr day, and drive 40 minutes back to the farm and feed everyone again it's time for bed so I can get up and do it all over the next day.

Sounds familiar, and I bet you wouldn't trade that farm for a cush part time job and nothing to do and no critters to love when it was done.

My animals keep me from going nuts at my job, and my job keeps me from going nuts with the farm. Most of the time anyway...some days I'm just nuts!

Before I see patients in the morning I have to do the last minute dog hair and shoe bottom check. And I've been late a few times due to "deliveries" :rolleyes: Most of my patients who know me ask about the dogs or come trolling by my office looking for new pictures.

Sounds familiar, and I bet you wouldn't trade that farm for a cush part time job and nothing to do and no critters to love when it was done.

. . .

Before I see patients in the morning I have to do the last minute dog hair and shoe bottom check.

You're right about not trading the farm. :D I've discovered I actually like carpentry - it's very soothing, the way everything fits together so nicely. I've also discovered a girl's best friend is a good set of clamps so I can work alone, since listening to DH bitch about carpentry is not so soothing. It's all good though - he cooks. :D

No critters? I have no idea what that's like. I have never ever at any time in my life not had at least one critter. I can't imagine.

Ha! My favorite colleague is a lawyer who brings her lab, Legis, to the office with her everyday. If we have mediations or something at her office, all I have to do is get there before everyone else and then pretend her dog is responsible for all the hair on my clothes. :rolleyes: